Buyer Beware: Frank Babuska Sr

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, May 21, 2016.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Given that he makes the stickers at the requests of the professional racers and professional race teams, the onus of licensing is actually on the racers to secure rights to use the logo/trademarks/service marks, not the graphics guy.

If he was getting fat stacks off of generic Suzuki stickers, you would have a point. I would assume (very dangerous, I know) that the racers have that written in as part of the support/sponsorship package contract they have with the company and its logo use.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Legit answer. I get your position.

Also, I don't have any kids. My ex wife took the dog, so there's just a cat left that hates my guts. :D

Bruce, cav115, dickie doo and 2 others like this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You got anti freeze around I know;)

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:stupid: I think the racers have license to freely use the logo as part of the sponsorship agreement.

5. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What about all the stickers he makes for non contracted racers?

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

She left her cat with you? That's the coldest thing in this thread..

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I think the intent would be the whole "it has these parts in the motor" statement by the seller. Contracts don't have to be written to be enforced. As for jurisdiction who the hell knows. The OP has already said he won't go the legal route so I'm just speculatin' that the issue were it pressed would be selling something under false pretense. Plus the fact that the seller didn't respond with "oh shit, really? I'll get the bike and refund your money" when questioned about the build.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

She took the dog? Did she take the jar of Skippy too? :D

BEi Racing, Razr, Joe Lopez and 2 others like this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

And took my favorite recliner. To be fair, it wasn't a SBK recliner.

Bruce and dickie doo like this.
  10. noles19

That's just wrong man!

11. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Like I said, I'm thinking about starting a sticker company but I'm not sure about all of the legalities involved with the IRS, State Department of Revenue, interstate Sales and Use tax filing, copyright infringement laws, etc.

Obtaining the sticker printer is the easy part. Anybody can do that. It's the legal structure I'm concerned about. I don't ever want to be accused or suspected of steeling from a State or The US Government or a legitimate Company or Corporation, especially a Motorcycle related Company. I really like Motorcycles and the people that work hard within the industry.

This seemed like the appropriate thread to ask questions in, about legal stuff and not fucking over nice people. This Drippin Wet fella seems concerned about fairness and upholding the law AND he's a sticker seller guy.

Some folks stoop as low as to try hide under the guise of being friendly and helpful and talented and legal all the while they are steeling from everyone.

I just don't want to be looked at like this.

Any help will be appreciated!

12. redtailracing

Don't know. But how many non contracted racers pay for special made stickers of non-sponsor logos? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'd say it's rare. Most racers are too much of tightwads to pay for non sponsor logos. I know plenty may use non sponsor logos but big difference between free stickies that make you look pro-style and paying a pro graphic artist for said stickies.

13. gaines1016

gaines1016 Well-Known Member

steal

backbone and SupermotoFan like this.
  14. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Some people may not like the stock stickers provided and want to get some cheater, SBK built ones that fit their style.

15. metricdevilmoto

He centers their spirit animal. You, for example, would be a clip art rendering of "donkey" and "juice". Because creative.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

And imagine how disappointed they would be if they tore said decal apart to find OEM adhesive, run of the mill transfer paper, etc...

Oh the humanity..

:crackup:

17. noles19

The real trick for sbk stickers is to clear coat them to cut down on drag..

18. metricdevilmoto

He hates me in a way I can respect. So I just keep the little house he poops in clean and make water readily available and, in return, he doesn't try to kill me often and only makes cat noises when I come home after I leave him alone for four days while I work the Memorial Day weekend at Summit Point.

19. redtailracing

Come to think of it, how do we know that he will make logos for companies without the racer confirming that he has the rights to do so? Not saying he does or doesn't. But don't wanna make too many assumptions. (Yea I know that's not the beeb way) and I'd say someone that's been in business as long as Chris knows these answers like the back of his hand. Chris has always struck me as a good dude and has been more than helpful to me in the past (no I'm not sponsored by him and never have been). I suspect Chris is friends with the babuskas and was trying to stay optimistic that things weren't quite as they seemed. Wouldn't be the first time around here. I think we've all had people close to us at some point in our life that did something that seemed way outside what we expected of them. Chris may have just been optimistically loyal to a fault and for that I can't blame him. But without him chiming in, this is all speculation anyways.

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

With a three foot screwdriver.