1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is your pet worth?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, May 19, 2016.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Fred? Damn…

2. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Just got back from the vet with my golden. She's my bud, but she has congenital heart disease, and I've dropped nearly $2,500 on her in the past 4 months, and that's ontop of a $3500 heart surgery 2.5 years ago.

My amount is so much a set $, as much as it has to do with what I'm paying for.

An operation for a dog that cost $5k... I'd do it.

Chemo for a cancerous dog that costs $5k... nope.

Aa far as the guy who shot his dog... he's obviously an asshole, but he likely has some serious issues as well.

Yzasserina likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

A lot will depend on the quality of life for your pet after recovery. Since the dog was young, it probably was a good choice. I see the other side too. There are wonderful and healthy animals at shelters just waiting for the love of a new owner.

We have spent a good amount on our cats over the years. It is worth it to us, but everyone has to make this decision on their own. It is never easy.

R Acree and Yzasserina like this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I own a 3000 dollar free cat and a probably a 6 or 7ooo dollar free dog I found. Shit adds up over the years. But the next pet I get I will get insurance on them. I cannot justify spending more than a G note in one bill to save an animal as much as I do love them.

5. ton

ton Arf!

my girl and i both grew up kinda country with farm dogs. normal to put 'em down if they were real sick.

now we're city folks, and our dog is family.

too many factors to really say, but i think the answer would probably be "how much cash is in the bank account?" (it ain't much... )

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Well let me just pause here...

Breathe in. Breathe out. OK.

I have seen my husband cry four times in my life. We have been married for 16+ years. And I have known him a lot longer than that. First time is none of your business. Second time was when a fellow star student at MMI who who had a congenital heart defect passed away. That royally sucked. He was a fucking baby in retrospect. The third time was when Marco Simoncello died, and the fourth time was when Jacko got diagnosed with diabetes. The point is, rein it in. Everything isn't funny.

7. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

Good for you! At two years old he will definitely repay you, by bringing you happiness.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There isnt any amount I wouldnt spend on Cooper(same for Bubba, my first). I'd fight a pride of lions to defend him. I'd live in a van down by the river if it took every penny I had to ensure his well being.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not only would I hope he drops dead, the last memory of me he'd have is me beating him to a bloody pulp. I despise people like that. Heard a story like that from a friend. He was hunting with someone he knew and shot/killed his own dog and left him lay in the field because he wasnt listening. Makes my blood boil.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Whoa, whoa. Not everything is genocide serious. Your sentence made it sound like everyone around you is on pet insurance. Yes, it was funny.
    I've lost beloved dogs too.

bleacht likes this.
  11. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

Saved my buddy, only cost a grand. Would have paid/took out a loan for whatever I had to spend. Had a golf ball size tumor that was causing him to become diabetic. Didn't know until we opened him up if we could do anything or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToofPic and SpeedyE like this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Be careful. SpeedyE will be along shortly to :Putter:

DaddyPhatSaks likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I had a Rottie/Doberman mix I adopted and loved more than anything. One day, out of nowhere, she just shut down.
    Like I ordered pizza that night and she wouldn' t eat...I KNEW something was wrong when Sable wouldn't get up for pizza.
    So the next morning I took her to the vet. After an exam and an X-Ray the vet showed me the HUGE tumor in her chest.

Animals don't understand what's happening to them. Anything I would have put her through would have been suffering on her part for
    my own satisfaction on not having to say good bye, and a completely unnecessary drain on my financial resources. We put Sable down
    that day. I've never regretted my decision.

I'd take the same position for humans too. My Dad suffered one day having his heart attack before he died. My Mom suffered in agony for over 2 years
    on her way out enduring the slow agonizing death lung cancer treated her to. After watching both play out, I'd say Dad got the better deal.

14. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

Three years ago--ny 9 y/o female Akita (Hana) got bloat (stomach twisted/flipped) my wife and I had 10 min to make the $7K-$10K fix or put her down, she got fixed with no other organ damage--so $7K--a month later she need an ACL fix--another $7K--we fixed that too--best $14K Ive ever spent. Our dogs are like family--just the way we are

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I used to be among the "$2k ish, that'd be it" crowd, then my brother's 2yo Staffordshire ate a sock and developed an impacted bowel. He didn't have anything to his name at the time and was living with me, so I told him he could repay me for the vet bill. Surgery for that cost around $2500, was successful.. then she had a reaction to the anaesthesia while recovering at home. Rushed her back into the ER, $500 for CPR and associated stuff and another $400 for something else, can't remember.. all I can remember is that it was another grand, up front. I didn't even wait for my brother to respond before the card was out. She ultimately succumbed to the anaesthesia, but I would've spent every dime I access to in order to save that dog.

My own dog is pushing 14 at this point.. I think I'd be a little more rational about cost vs quality of life vs remaining longevity.. but then again, you never really know until you're there.

If you want a really crazy idea of pet value, my girlfriend's horse is worth as much as a new BMW, simply in terms of market value. By the time it's fully grown and trained she'll easily be able to sell it for six figures. If it were to get sick, there's no doubt in my mind she'd sell her condo in order to pay whatever was required.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sometimes, you have to love them enough to NOT spend the money on them.

R Acree and BigBird like this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Are you seriou
    Everyone?

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Around 15k in the last 3 months alone.

But frankly they are priceless to me. There is less important shit to blow money on.

I give you every nickel in my accounts if I could have my 2 girls back.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Blammo

Blammo Well-Known Member

Oh man, i was in that boat 3 years ago with my Bernese. I decided I'd rather deal with the crushing pain of loss and end my buddy's suffering, than keep him going just so I could have my friend around. Every situation is unique of course. You have to make the decision that's in your pet's and your best interests. Still miss that guy every damn day though.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My pet is my family. I'll do anything for family. That said I don't have $10k for my own medical problems, certainly wouldn't be able to afford that for my dog.

And for everyone talking about "ending the pain", why don't we do that with people? Oh yeah, cause its wrong. I'm sure the pet wants to live given the choice.

SpeedyE likes this.