1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatibility of exhaust on old GSXR's

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by crashman, Jan 17, 2016.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have a '86 1100 in a '86 braced Yosh frame. It currently has a Duplex system off of a ?91? (I think. It has been a long time...) 750 that sorta works but the exhaust sticks out at a funny angle and I had to modify the can for clearance. Are there years of pipes that will fit this combination without mods. I am having issues finding anything in good shape other than the V&H drag pipes.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Eboz to the white courtesy phone...

3. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

1100 (1052 really) is taller than the 750 so straight fitment won't happen.
    Evilbay to find used stuff, but there is a Denver vendor of Delkevic (GB) that may have what you need.
    Any car exhaust shop can bend the mid to get the can where you want it; source some flat aluminum from HD or your local Ace to fab a hanger.
    The 86-87 is it's own animal, so very hard to find.
    Plan B: use the head pipe you have, same local exhaust shop to make a mid pipe, use the can you have.
    Post pics here.

4. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I have a 1986 GSXR1100 OEM exhaust if you're looking for one. It's in pretty good shape. If you send me your email address then I'll send you pics and let you be the judge of its condition.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

1109 actually.:D
    Ya, I knew that the long stroke 1100 was a bit taller but was not sure if there were any other years of 11oo that would work OK on this without me having to do a bunch of fabrication. The can and midpipe are pretty much fused together and the can is pretty 2nd hand too so I thought I would see if there was a plug and play pipe that I could look for in addition to the 86 1100 pipe. Thanks for the help.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thanks! I will keep looking for a bit and see what else I can find but will keep this in mind for a project if I need it.

7. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Ok I'm back in the country, after another year in China. Crashman at this point in time without making a significant investment, MotoGPWerks or the Yoshimura pipes going for about a grand, you will be forced to either build or modify something. send me a picture of what you got on your bike and I'll check and see if I have anything laying around that might work. I believe the reason I quit using my yosh pipe was because crushed all the mid pipes I had. I'm running an old Hindle on my 1109, a modified Yosh on my 1216, a GP werks on my AHMRA 750 and a NOS Kerker on my limited restoration.

Attached Files:

8. Outsider V6 V7

Werks pipe
    upload_2016-1-20_13-29-36.png

9. Outsider V6 V7

modified yosh

Attached Files:

10. Outsider V6 V7

One other thing different about my bikes is I run the 1989-92 oil pans so that the lines from the curved oil coolers match up. And the 1216 is a V&H not a Yosh.

11. b1uldh84

b1uldh84 Member

I'll have to double check but I think we have a brand new, in the box, stainless Hindle 4;2;1 system for that bike ('86 1100) at the shop. And one for a 89-95 fzr1000. Please PM, I'll try to check back in every day or two.
    cheers AJ

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

PM sent

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Sorry for the slow response. I am up in Alaska and had not been checking this. I do not have many pics of the old girl up here but the shot from the back shows how the pipe sticks out. I had actually thought that the 86-87 oil pan was shallower and allowed for more pipe options. When I get home I will take a couple more pics. I have to yank the engine to adjust valves this winter (its a bit tight in that frame):D so I was hoping to get a better pipe on it for this year while it was all apart. Side shot small.jpg back.jpg Ready to go.jpg

Attached Files:

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It took a while to get my shit together and get some pictures but here is what I have right now. This is a 750 pipe and I still sorta have clearance between most stuff. :D You can see how I had to chop the can to get a bit of clearance on the swingarm though.

clearance.jpg side.jpg swingarm.jpg