1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I don't locktite my rings, not an AR but I shoot more than a thousand rounds a year in my 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun. Long range and tactical matches, positional, barricades, and moving between positions a props.

2. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Every scope mount I've used on an AR, ALL came loose after relatively few rounds(100ish maybe). Been Locktiting as matter of course. Didn't do it last yr on a Burris PEPR mount, and it came loose the first outing. Then again the 2nd outing. Blue Locktite. The end.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Burris PEPR is why I asked the question as it came loose this weekend.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I got a cool "You Weld It Kit"..Lower....:) May be a fun winter build...Like a RatRodAR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Shot mine several occasions since Locktite'n it. Zero worries.

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

That
    That is really cool.

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'm not reading through 20-some odd pages, but does anyone here hunt with a 6.8 SPC? I'm building one now to add to the mix.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have to ask you guys because I don't know...what is the advantage of these "hybrid" ( I call them that because they are just odd to me) calibers such as the 6.8, 300 Blackout and Creedmoor to a good old . 308? Aren't they harder to find and way more expensive? Is their performance that superior?

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I do. What would you like to know?

dickie doo likes this.
  10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

The 6.5 Creedmore is better than .308 at long range. The top long range shooters are all switching over to this for competition.

300BLK is not the same at all. It's designed to fit the AR15 platform with just a barrel change. It is basically designed around a 9" barrel and suppresses very well. It has similar ballistics to the 7.62x39.

6.8 is another one designed around the AR15 as a horsepower boost and is becoming very popular as a deer round.

The .308 is still a great caliber but if you want a semi-auto, you are in the AR10 platform with this one so it's a whole different rifle. Those others are great for more power in the smaller platform.

dickie doo likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thank you sir. That's about as perfect an explanation as I could ask for.

12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

no problem...there's a ton of options and it can be overwhelming! You didn't even ask about some of the others....458 SOCOM, .50 Beowolf, 450 Bushmaster, .510 Beck etc. o_O

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You can build a 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR10 frame as well. A lot of long range shooters are moving to 6mm for even less drop at long range, and while similar to the 6.5 more of the guys I shoot with are shooting a .260, Sundays long range match was 16 260's and 8 CM's, and about the same number of 6mm/243's, there was one 308 out of 38 shooters.

14. Scotty87

What blkduc said. My 6.8 is my deer gun. It's perfect for Wiscosin whitetail and the ranges we see in the forests here. Requires a specific barrel, bolt and mags.

Currently building a 300blk pistol.

15. Scotty87

To be honest I feel like those calibers are almost gimmicks. Especially when you consider how proven 300blk, 6.8 and 6.5, even 223 Wylde have become.

Not to mention 458 socom and 450 bush are stupid expensive rounds.

dickie doo likes this.
  16. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

What size optic should I look for? I'm mainly using this for deer, or hogs in the SE, so nothing long range (over 300 yards). I've been told 2x7 or 3x9, but I'm not sure.

Also, anything you'd do differently after owning yours?

And... last but not least, what round do you prefer? I just ordered some Federal 95 grain, but I hear that the lower grain does very well in the SPC.

17. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

You could get a 1x4-1x6 illuminated, and cover home defense chores as well. At 1x it functions as a simple red dot, so it'd work well staying-on a moving pig at close range.

18. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :beer:

Dont know if your a member of any build sites but if not theres a few idiosyncrasies to know about doing one of these. Feel free to ask/pm when you decide to tackle it. Unless those assembled pics are yours, in which case you might figure them out on your own hehe.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Britts will have intact welds and be way prettier than yours. He's a dick like that. :D

dickie doo and Britt like this.
  20. Scotty87

2x7 all day long, that's what I use and I'm hunting the same ranges as you in the woods here. I personally like the 115 gr. SSA Pro Hunters and 120gr. Hornady SST.

95 is pretty light for 6.8. I'd rather take advantage of the larger bullet and increased energy. What length and twist is your barrel?

I wouldn't change a thing on mine. If I was to do another though, I'd make it lighter. Mine has a very heavy Magpul PRS stock, an 18" heavy barrel, and a bipod attached to a 15" handguard. It's not pain in the ass heavy, but a light one would be cool.

dickie doo likes this.