1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Luckily, it's supposed to take more than just someone saying "hey, he sold cigarettes" for the cops to have enough evidence to arrest someone for selling cigarettes. In NYC, and in particular, in my friends neighborhood, Bushwick, selling cigarettes is a big thing. The legit way to arrest someone for selling cigarettes illegally, is to have an undercover actually buy cigarettes from them. Luckily, someone just saying, "hey that guy's selling cigarettes" isn't enough. I find it funny that you can't see that, yet you go on and on about how we shouldn't be saying anything bad about Billy Qualude, even though 30+ women have said the same thing about him. Why is someone saying that Garner was selling cigarettes enough to arrest him, in your eyes, but 30+ women saying that the the Cos was rapey with them isn't even enough to justify us disparaging him on the internet?

This incident with Garner points out the exact reason why police need to be held accountable by more than just other police, and the DAs they work hand in hand with. They have so much power that they can just show up without any proof, tell a guy that they're arresting him because they say he was selling cigarettes, and then kill him when he verbally protests being arrested.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ok it's over 100 in the shop and I am sweating my ass off, but that was some funny shit PaPa... ;)

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

As a trained EMT-B you are probably aware that, when a person is in a choke hold and their air is being cut off, they cannot say anything.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

And once again, you seem to ignore the fact that those officers, upon arriving on the scene, recognized the man from his previous cigarette selling excursions and decided to arrest him and let the detectives handle the rest of it. If he satisfied them that he wasn't selling when the officers arrived then he would have been sent on his way. It's called "an investigation."

By the way, I've never said that our buddy Cosby was innocent of raping anyone. All I've ever said it that no one has proven it in a court of law. He's probably guilty as hell but......................no court case to fall back on for ya.:up:

:)

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You missed the whole point. Did you even read what I wrote?
    Nowhere did I say he was in a chokehold, I explained why he would say he can't breathe.
    You're relying on a piece of half-information, namely that if you are speaking, you are breathing, but you are completely ignoring that you can speak while being in respiratory distress that can quickly lead to unconsciousness and death, which is exactly what you saw happening there.
    Look up positional asphyxiation and read.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is that in the Kama Sutra?

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Not really. I am still very much on the side of the rule of law. However, I have a major problem with the refusal to release dashcam or bodycam videos.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

You're incorrect. If enough people say "he's selling cigarettes" that is probable cause. Now lets add in this assclown's 30+ previous arrests AND the fact that he's a big guy known for violently resisting arrest.

They pig piled him, by having several officers take him down quickly its safer for him and them. He had PLENTY of time and opportunities to comply.

10. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Don't try it, you'll wind up like David Carradine.

11. Fonda Dix

I wont be jumping on the poor Eric Garner bandwagon. Fat boy died of a heart attack on the ambulance. To me, that makes his demise more likely to be the fault of donuts than the cops who eat them. His heart was a time bomb, he resisted arrest, the time bomb exploded.

12. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Dung, old boy,

Its all in the tone and content of your posts. Kinda like labeling everyone Racist based on a perceived tone and pattern.

I generally ignore your logic as it is fairly obvious from the tone and patterns of your post that, like walking and chewing gum, you are incapable of seeing both sides of any argument.

No worries, we can't all work for NASA. Remember, fully 50% of all doctors and lawyers finish in the bottom half of their class.

Chin up Dung Ginger.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think your position on the rule of law was ever called into question. What I remember is your position on abuse of power. You did make a 180 on that one, and even explained why. Your post in this thread seems to indicate that you're once again back on the side of keeping that in check.

14. In Your Corner

I know what you mean and I couldn't disagree more. Police oversight of police is invalid. The public has every right to the information.
    The police aren't above the law.

15. Fonda Dix

ok, now I get what you were saying.

I still have not swung back the other way. I am just not going to stand for the police going back to their old ways. Its time for American law enforcement to grow out of its short pants.

the days of police being able to do what they wish, especially with people of color, are over. ended. forever. this is the new deal. adapt to constant oversight by everybody or leave. that is the only choice.

16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I agree on most counts, I've even stated so earlier in the thread. The cop should never have reached into the car, the dude without a license shouldn't have driven someone else's car, shouldn't of been carrying nearly two pounds of pot, should have made sure the license plate was on the front bumper and should have made sure there wasn't a cop attached to the side of his car before fleeing.

Dude didn't deserve to get shot in the head anymore than the cop deserved to get killed over a traffic stop. It just so happened the cop came out on the winning end. They don't always.

17. First of all, you have no idea if "enough" people called in and told the cops Garner was selling cigarettes in the street at that moment, but chances are very likely that it was one person or less who called. But, in the case that "enough" people called, then they have probable cause to do what? The crime is selling cigarettes. They don't, as Orvis said "arrest him and let the detectives handle the rest of it." It's not a murder investigation. They're not gonna hold him in a room and question him until he cracks and admits to selling cigarettes. The correct way to bust people selling cigarettes illegally is through undercover buys. It was an illegal arrest to begin with.

He was known for violently resisting arrest? That's a new wrinkle. Where'd you get that info?

18. In Your Corner

Body camera video undercuts police account of skid row shooting, suit says

Once again, video withheld for "investigation".

Police body-camera video disputes the LAPD's account of how officers shot and killed an unarmed homeless man on skid row earlier this year, a civil lawsuit filed Wednesday in L.A. Superior Court alleged.

Police Chief Charlie Beck said officers fired on Charly Keunang, a 43-year-old Cameroonian immigrant, after he grabbed one of their holstered guns during an intense struggle. The suit, filed by Keunang's family, said the footage did not back up that contention.

The suit cited a report in GQ magazine by writer Jeff Sharlet, who was allowed to see the body-cam footage. The police department has refused to release video from chest-mounted cameras two officers were wearing during the March 1 confrontation while its probe of the shooting is underway.

The suit also contended that eyewitness accounts and a bystander's video contradicted the story that Keunang grabbed the gun.

"At no time did Mr. Keunang possess any type of weapon, much less fire or remove any firearm from the officers," the suit, filed by Keunang's family, said.

An LAPD spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

A source told the Los Angeles Times the body cameras captured an officer shouting, "He's got my gun" multiple times before police opened fire. An enhanced version of a bystander's video reviewed by The Times showed Keunang reaching toward an officer's waistband as the officer kneeled on his chest and punched him. The officer's gun was still in his holster after the shooting ended.

19. Fonda Dix

The police department has refused to release video from chest-mounted cameras two officers were wearing during the March 1 confrontation while its probe of the shooting is underway.

THIS. This right here is what we cannot allow. There is no possible way they have not had enough time to "investigate" that video over the course of 4 months. That "ongoing investigation" shit is exactly that, shit. This is not how your restore confidence in American policing.

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy