1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every day it gets tougher to be black

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

2. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Yes, the only reason the north was against slavery was because they had cheap immigrant labor. Wonder if the liberals would be crying about minimum wages if they knew how little the European immigrants were making back then.

:stupid:
    What exactly was the republican parties stance on slavery? Your comment reads like the republicans were for slavery, and the democrats were against it... History says otherwise.
    :up:
    "Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

I think the tenth Amendment disagrees with you.

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

There it is. :D

calling a black well spoken is now considered racist. :rolleyes:

6. sheepofblue

:bow:

It also occurred to me that he might have been pulling an epic piece of satire. Of course if so he still pulled it off with class that is lacking frequently among many people.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at that interpretation of my statement. You do know that Lincoln was a Republican?

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So the flag wasn't a symbol of hate in 2011?

9. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

He was a Whig, and they merged with the republicans.... But reading your post about confederate apologists, economies on immoral practice, made me think you were of the same mindset of most of our populace today that seems to think the evil republicans were the ones perpetuating slavery, and the democrats were the saviors. Sorry if I interpreted that wrong, it was late, and it read like something out of high school history class for millennials. You probably have no idea how many times I have heard people come up with arguments to counter the fact that the KKK and Jim Crow laws were all founded by democrats. I even had someone tell me that they believed the republicans and democrats completely flip flopped their whole policy beliefs and became the other party.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Posted in the other thread about the flag, but why not here. A friend - Caldwell Warley -- gives his opinion on the flag and the south.

I have given money to save Confederate graves from disrepair as well as numerous monuments to commemorate the sacrifices made by my ancestors. My ancestors fought for the Confederacy. I'm not proud to admit that I have a great (x4) uncle who imported slaves and made a fortune from it.

There are so many aspects of Southern culture we have to be proud of, but the battle flag is not one of them. For my historian friends who support the battle flag, I remind you of how that flag came to be atop our state house. It was a clear message to the federal government trying to pass civil rights legislation in the early 60's. I am willing to sacrifice a flag that means nothing to true southern culture as a means to help move us forward as a society.

If you want to support our Southern culture, give money to the many historic preservation efforts throughout the country. Invest in educational programs so we can learn from our history. If the extent of your support is to hold onto an unofficial flag that is so deeply offensive to so many - you, as our ancestors did, will lose.

I'm a true Southerner because I believe in the whole South. The traditions and ancestry of us all. Taking that flag down will not - in anyway possible - affect my appreciation for what makes us a unique culture. I will still support efforts to preserve our history and learn from it.

But you know what retiring that flag will do? Make many fellow Southerners less offended in their own Homeland - our homeland. And THAT - I'm all for!!!

Dum Spiro Spero!

11. Fonda Dix

A friend in Savannah asked me why I would not defend the flag. I reminded him that I was not a southerner, I am a Texan. :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It was, but it wasn't as much in the forefront as today.

13. Slider82

All of this silly knee-jerk reaction to the church murders is just another stupid attempt to "Do something", even though it will accomplish nothing.

Nothing could have stopped that wormy little shit from attacking but if just one person had been armed they could have saved a lot of lives.

It's sad to think we live in times when you may need to carry a gun to church but I know some people already were before this happened.

14. ton

ton Arf!

you'll find there are a whole bunch of other things in the constitution that severely limit absolute interpretation of those words. much to the dismay of absolutists everywhere.

(start with the commerce clause)

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No need. It's right there if you pay attention.

"To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;"

16. sheepofblue

Quiet you, thinking like that will interfere with the political pandering and race baiters true goals to save you from you. Now bow down and conform.

Oh and I would say stupid has jumped the shark but I am sure it can get dumber:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-civil-war-games-confederate-flag/

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's too bad dickheads took over this flag. I really like the aesthetics of it. It's a nice flag.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Use the british one, it's close enough :D

19. Fonda Dix

20. Slider82