1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every day it gets tougher to be black

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 12, 2015.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Are you?

2. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I have always took the slapping of a label on RFKA as a way to throw it back in his face. The irony I see is he justifies how he is not the label given him, yet has no issues putting a label on others. He will jump at every opportunity to try and label someone, even if it means showing his hypocrisy in the process.

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Before the civil war, states were considered sovereign, it wasn't until AFTER the civil war that the Supreme Court ruled the United States was a sovereign entity.

Winners get to make the rules.

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Meh. Don't care;)

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hey man, you're still here? Martyrdom attempt didn't work out for you? :D

The Dung Beetle is a joke, no doubt. That was established a few years ago. :D
    I'm just amused that people are so obsessed with him that they contradict themselves any chance they get (the labels, judging his character based on his post, claiming he's on their ignore list and starting threads about him, etc.).
    But I'm just teasing Nigel. It could be worse. His weekly post counts specifically dedicated to the dung beetle could be in the triple digits. He could be Carlos. :D

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've argued this for a long time but most people want to make it only about slavery. I get irritated when it becomes bogged down to only about black people's history of slavery as though no other races, or nationalities, were slaves at one time or another.

By the way, the book you mentioned is available from Amazon. I just ordered a copy for $14.35. :up:

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

C'mon now Papa, when someone serves up the perfect pitch you gotta swing for it.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you feel that the war would have happened anyway if the northern states were in favor of maintaining and expanding slavery?

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Possibly. The whole thing, from the history that I've read, got it's start from the Federal Government continuing to screw the South with their low pricing for goods produced in the South. Obviously, slavery did have it's hand in the matter. To what extent early on I cannot remember. I'll read what I can find and ruffle more feathers later. :)

10. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Yes. Several states in the south wanted to sucede. Slavery issue or not. See my suggestion that is was more about agrarian vs industrialism.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. charles

charles The Transporter

Ah, yes, I did,,,thinking of one thing and wrote another: ANDREW JOHNSON, then.

12. intrcptrrdr

Doesn't change the fact that it was an amnesty (not a pardon of traitors) for a sovereign entity's officer corps.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, equal opportunity hater :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do.

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Probably not. Lincoln's election precipitated the seccession of the southern states primarily because of the Republican party's position on that particular issue. Confederate apologists can frame it as a matter of state's rights all they want, but the right in question was that of the rich and powerful to maintain an economic system based on an immoral practice. The writing was on the wall. If slavery was wrong for one part of the nation, how could it continue in the remainder? If Breckenridge, who advocated compromise, had won the election, the Civil War could perhaps have been avoided. Slavery would likely have ended in this nation not too long after, as it's economic viability waned and hired labor became a better option.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Slavery would have ended regardless. It was unsustainable. The war hastened the end.

It could have been done without war by simply refusing to purchase goods from slave states and the system would have collapsed. Too many non-agrarian population centers benefited from the lower price available through slave labor.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah, the mods are too chicken shit to ban me. :p

19. intrcptrrdr

It was indeed about states rights. It is a shame that slavery was used as the bulwark.

20. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Acree's one of the big perpetrators of this. My only comment is "no comment" on the dung beetle BS.:D