1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retirement / Your version of a dream retreat/house/cabin/etc....

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 16, 2015.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Winter Here: Catamaran in the Lesser Antilles
    [​IMG]

Summers Here: Costa Rica
    [​IMG]

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

This is gonna sound funny, especially compared to Dickies post above, but here goes.....

I'm pretty much living my retirement dream, except I'm still working! :(

I've been setting myself up. Getting a decent shop in order. Once I can quit working (5 yrs or maybe less), I'll be living the dream right here near Dallas GA....going racing when I want to, including some travelling.

I tell my friends, right now I have good cash flow, but no time.....but soon those are gonna reverse, and I'm preparing for that.

About the only possible major change would be selling the extra 1.5 acre lot adjoining my house to the RIGHT person, and possibly buying a condo down near the Atlantic coast of Ga or FL.....but that's a very remote possibility. It would ALL have to happen in my favor, or I wouldn't do it.

3. dickie doo

Doesn't sound odd to me. Different strokes.

I don't want to retire too old, and my plans have little to do with the US once I am retired, but I can see the appeal in your plan as well.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Same here about the appeal of yours sir....I'm 53, and WILL be out by 58. :up:

I guess for me, the real dream is having what I have now and not having to work anymore, which would free up some time to travel and race.

My needs are pretty basic.

Not that I wouldn't love to live a dream like yours, I realized I was just torturing myself with that.

Can I come visit you anyhow? :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

6. dickie doo

HAHA.

Sure thing.

Dreams are free... go for broke. :)

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this in one of the other threads but I'm in a sort of retirement right now, not working full time just buying/selling a few aircraft at a time and having another shop hold and ship all my inventory.

My ideal retirement once the kids are older so in about (13 years and I'll be 53) is just living in a Super C RV with an attached garage holding two or 3 bikes, thinking along the lines of a race/track bike, a Super Tenere', and a YZ450 dirt/supermoto set up. I want to ride or race at every single track I can think of, attend race schools ETC. Take the ADV bike along every great scenic route/trails etc. Towing behind my RV will be something of Rubicon or FJ Cruiser so I can get out of the RV and go into cities or day trips, off-road trips Etc.

I'll have all my hiking/backpacking gear and hike every location I want. Carrying along my my bicycles, and and kayak/SUP. Surf the best breaks, Best fishing spots, MTBike the greatest trails. I want to do it all.

I just want to experience errrything here in North america and beyond, every museum, arts festival, music festival, historical places, the shittiest neighborhoods and the best places too.

I own a small warehouse in AZ and another one in South Florida so I can leave some stuff in each like all my non essential and other sentimental things that I won't bring on the road. Don't want a real home though. Just living in a van down by a river.....:rock:

11. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I would love to do something similar in my first full year of retirement. Pack up a bus and trailer and head out for a year.

Go where the mood takes us. Maybe leave WV after New Years, pointing south. Follow spring west to across Texas to Southern California and then use summer to go north to British Columbia/Alaska and then follow fall into Alberta, Idaho and Wyoming. Some early skiing in Colorado and back home for Christmas.

Would be great, and not that expensive if you bought the rig wisely and sold upon return.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I like that idea. In fact, my vision is somewhat similar. Boat big enough that you can live on. Perhaps do remote work, and travel from place to place. 27' at the lake is what I was learning on, and about to resume. Blue water - some day in the future. Learning curve seems a bit scary, but hey...

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I hope to be semi-retired in another 5-7 yrs, at which time I will be 47-49. At that time I will be at the point where I can "want" to go to work, not "have" to. I look forward to being able to do more with my kids (who are 6 now). I have 50 acres of which 36 provide some income. I know enough people, and can do enough things, that I would be able to call someone and ask them what they have for me to do, including a few farmers who always need a hand around the farm. I will have an RV to do the travelling that I do not have the time to do now, and let my kids experience what I did as a kid.
    In that aspect, I am jealous of my dad, who took us all over north america while we were kids in a motorhome. BUT, after he had a stroke at the age of 51, I do not want to wait too long either.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no chance of retiring. So no need for major plans at least :)

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Pfffttt, I always considered you to have been semi-retired anyhow.

:Poke: :D

16. dickie doo

17. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

18. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

My wife and I plan to get a 45-60' monohull sailboat in 5 years and spend several years sailing around the world. We plan to do this to find the place we want to retire. What better way to see all there is to be seen?

19. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

This!

I like waterfront property where you can change the waterfront anytime you want! :beer:[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I know everyones idea of such is diff, but for me..its here in the NC mtns. I retired in 03 at 46yrs age. Worked at Grainger for 24yrs. Took a yrs pay and my profit sharing. Was otherwise out of dept completely. House in Cobb was paid off. Etc. Sold it (at the peak) and moved in with the wife, up here on 10 arces backed up to the AT.

Trout stream thru the front yard. Garden. My 4 dogs run free on the property. Heat with wood, mostly. Hardly any neighbors. Free gravity mtn spring water off the mtn in the back yard. 85 yard shooting range. I just work PT here and there. Like as a bicycle mech at the NOC. Whitwater kayaking. Packpacking. Mtbing. All, almost from the house. And zero crime.

My elderly mom just bought a condo(god help us) in west Cobb. Still has her lake house there. And also just bought a new-ish built house up here with 3.4 acres, just last Spring. Great prices up here. Was only $140k. Heres the place when my sons family stayed there last Memorial Day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres actually trout in this small stream.
    [​IMG]