1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Financial success vs happiness?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Apr 2, 2015.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I like what Doyle said and agree 100%.

Before I sold my share of a business in 05 I went on one vacation a year and usually to a cheesy beach area. From 05 to 2010 we went on three "exotic" vacations a year. Nothing too crazy but we explored the entire West and Northeast areas of the country. We typically hiked and camped our way all over. And now my kids have the traveling jones and aren't afraid to go anywhere on their own to explore.

We will share these experiences forever.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

[​IMG]

Says the millionare movie God :D

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I decided not to read 8 pages of other peoples lives, especially Dave K's (he is just angry:)). However, maybe it is time to decide where you are in your careers life cycle. At some point,at 20 years in you may be there, we take a different perspective on what we are doing. It may be time to start giving back. It was mentioned that you may want to look for a mentor. I suggest that it may be time for you to be a mentor. If the atmosphere is toxic, perhaps it is time for you to become the agent of change to make your workplace better. It will give some purpose to your employment. I have found that I have about a 3 year attention span for a job before I am looking for something different. With my current employer I will be beginning my 3rd different administrative position, because I fix what needs to be fixed and I am ready for something else. I fix broken stuff, like organizational structures, toxic atmospheres, poor training practices, etc. There is always something that needs fixing in any organization. So, the question is will they let you do something different for you and the company.

Ken

4. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Yep, being self-absorbed is just as bad as being codependent. Neither is healthy.

I think what people are trying to say is that desired change is not likely to happen from this super conservative mindset. You're going to have to let your family know what they're doing, and get them on your side. You're going to have to take some risks.

It's been mentioned earlier -- just having a specific plan on how to proceed will take a lot of sting out of the situation.

Oh and as to giving things to your son. You think he cares about things more than about having a good role model of what being a man means? It sure as hell doesn't mean being stuck in an unsatisfying job and putting up with that for decades.

5. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

keep it simple. Find a rich chick that likes you. Works for me.

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

How is this any different than what I said?

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You do realize that almost every guy on here jealously hates you right now, don't you?:D

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Tact.

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I already knew the answer. It was a rhetorical question

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Rhetorical answer.

11. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

How is what you said different than what i said on page 1? :D.

12. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

My wife and I have discussed this many times. She is in a similar situation; however it is the time demands which makes her unhappy. As for my son, he is not getting do much things as much as opportunities and experiences. For instance, my son is in a very good school system because of where we live. He gets to go on trips, does special activities, plays sports etc. so it's not so much what we give him as the opportunities he gets.

13. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Your son has a father who is not happy with his life and isn't doing much about it. That's the bottom line. And he's in on that deal probably much more than you acknowledge. Again, not that I am trying to claim some kind of carnal knowledge here, just some dude's opinion FWIW. And, looks like the material side of things says you can totally achieve what you are shooting for, with some leap of faith and time/resource investment.

14. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I don't totally agree with this. I couldn't care less about traveling to exotic places. What I love to do is entertain and have people over for holidays and big events (Super Bowl etc). My experiences and memories come from the things I buy to support this. I take my Exocet to the track and I have a house that I can entertain in. These things bring me much more joy than traveling abroad. I have been to Asia and all over Europe and it just isn't for me.

So I agree that having experiences and making memories are important facets in life and it is pointless to own things you're too busy to use, I don't believe they come solely from taking big vacations.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I agree. Like going to any ball game, riding the bikes or going to the track..those are experiences that I like :)

Going on vacation...I start counting down internally when we get to go back home

16. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

After working admin for a big co. for 24yrs in Atlanta, I took a Package(1 yrs pay)..sold my house..took my profit sharing(no retirement tho)..this was at the age of 45 in 03. Then married a local up here in the NC mtns. Haven't worked since 03, sans a couple 15hr per week jobs working as a bicycle mech and a paintball retail store.

We live on the cheap, absolutely. Small place. Heat w wood. Homemade powerless gravity water system. Grow our own chit. But the piece of mind, slower life style, and overall quality of life is priceless imo.

No need for much vaca time, since we live there. At least for the stuff we like to do.

17. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Just a question:

How many of those asking this 'question' are 30-40 somethings with wife/kids, and how many who have 'answered' the question are in their 50-60's and no more dependents?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I was a single parent starting out when he was 6yrs in 91. Raised him alone. He left out on his own just before I retired in 03, so it was perfect timing. What really helps too, is I was completely out of debt by 02. Zero. Nada. No cards, mortgage, car, nothing but monthly utilities. I'm 56 now w zero dependents. still out of dept.

19. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

In re-cap of this entire useless thread:

Everyone has an completely different concept of "happiness". Do whatever the fuck you need to do on a day-to-day basis so you don't blow your brains out.

the end

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You forgot money is good, being broke is bad and you can buy happiness as long as you aren't a self absorbed tool who has to keep up with the Jones.