1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

x-fusion. used Reba.

2. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Shimano. Even a SLX drivetrain components will make you happy. 2x10 SLX is cheap at Bluesky or chain reaction.

Bonnie and I run XT on all of our stuff and it lasts firever and my secret to NEVER buying cassettes or chainrings is replacing my chains at 60% wear indicator or approximately every 60-90 days. Worn chains eat components. BTW....I use SRAM chains.

3. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

+1 on SLX. My sparkling new carbon 29r came with that as its drivetrain, and it rocks. All my other bikes are either XTR or XT. And it surprisingly shifts better then any of them.

4. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I inspected it before the race and didnt notice anything bent.

Im really having a hard time choosing between xt and x9. I think its going to just come down to price.

5. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

Interesting thread. Love mtbing, been mtbing for about 20 years.

1st - Trek 850
    2nd - Spech M2
    3rd - 2 Ellsworth Truths - first model cracked, was replaced with the newer model.
    4th - Turner RFX (still have)
    5th - Niner Rip9 best bike i've ever riden. This bike is a 1x10

Ride mostly LewMo here on the east coast. I've been to White Clay in Del., Allegrippis in PA and a few other places in pa/nj. Also night ride as well. Going tonight (10/7) here in Jersey.

Now back to reading...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  6. STT-Rider

If you want to learn how to work on stuff buy the SRAM,

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

+1 on SLX or XT shadow. I have an XT Rd and use SRAM pg 1090 cassette& chain, it's been a bulletproof combo.

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I should add that I used to break everything, but apart from routine wear, I have had zero issues with my current setup in the past 7 months/2000 miles

9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I've had the exact opposite experience! It's funny, I've had this conversation with probably 15 mountain bikers, and there is no middle ground. Either they couldn't figure out the shimano stuff, or the sram stuff. I had terrible luck with the XT stuff that came on my 26er, all X9 now.

Not saying your wrong, I'm fairly certain your sample size of data is larger than mine, it's just funny how it's either all Amsoil or Mobil 1.

10. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Pull ratio on the shifters is likely different between your SRAM shifter and whatever Shimano you get so you'll have to get shifters as well. Personally I run Zee 1x10 and happy with it, second ring up front is too much for me to handle :)

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm thinking about upgrading my single-speed to a 1x9/10/11. Can anyone give a ballpark price on this mod from personal experience? I'm seeing ~$400 in parts cost. That seems silly for a $600 steel bike but I just love the ergo's....

12. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Is it a SS dedicated hub?

13. Joe Morris

I don't think so but thanks for reminding me to check.

14. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

15. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

16. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

If you're on a super tight budget you could save some on getting cheaper cassette, chain and use regular front chainring. Also they got much cheaper derailers but it just doesn't make much sense to save another $30 and have one without a clutch.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i run X0 on my DH bike, XT Shadow+ on my 29er. here's my take:

- SRAM shifting always feels crisper to me, doesn't really matter i guess, i just like it.
    - for the money, XT brakes are awesome. i do however like super sensitive initial bite and end of the lever sensitivity. my Formula The Ones on my DH bike are like light switches, just like i used to like my motorbikes with Brembo RCS/R6 caliper combos. the XT's feel like they have a vague-dead space in the beginning of the lever travel where they aren't really doing anything, even if bled really well. i could maybe fuck with the lever engagement adjuster a little, but i dunno i'm lazy. everyone that has The Ones swears by them, i love them, but XT's were just so cheap for what you get i couldn't NOT get them for this build. even my LBS guy says that's all they'll sell people really if they ask for suggestions. i guess its good for XC riding because braking it usually more graceful than grabbing a handful of lever and drifting the rear on some steep ass freeride trail. getting XT's serviced or buying little parts compared to Formula is definitely way easier, that's for damn sure.
    - the XT shit is totally problem free and shifts nice and brakes nice. i do like how quiet that bike is. my X0 stuff has also been totally trouble free. the brakes and shifter and derailleur were on my previous bike for like 2 years before being on the DH bike this year. running a 9 speed still with a small range DH cassette now. all i do is replace the chain/cassette/derailleur cogs like once a year, and now probably less because i use my DH bike less than i did when i only had one 160mm bike.
    - i might trade up The Ones for some Hope V4s this winter, but other than that... keeping it all as is. i run Ice Tech floating rotors on my XC bike, and Formula floating rotors on the DH bike too just for reference.
    - the shape of the triggers is better on X0's than on XT's. doesn't really matter, just knit picking.
    - the way XT's do the mix-master type thing of mounting the shifter to the brake master for a clean look is better than X0 options for Formulas. the XT's have a sliding bolt so you can position the trigger how you like it, irrelevant to spacing your brake master. on X0's with mix-master's it was putting the shifter too close to the grip, over it actually. i hate hitting my thumb on shifters ever, i like it to be right inside the very edge of the grip so you have to reach for it even if hugging the inner part of the grip. what i ended up doing was using the left side mixmaster clamp on the right side which spaced it further to the left and it worked out perfect, but its still stupid that it is that way.
    - SRAM's customer service is top notch. better than Fox for suspension for sure. better than Shimano for other shit. they're real quick to replace anything or give advice if ever anything goes wrong. replaced a carbon crank for me before i even brought the broken one in to the LBS just on my LBS' word. hopefully you never need them, cause nothing breaking is better than good service for some broken shit... but its nice to know its there.

18. STT-Rider

The "party switch" on the Shimano RD is worth the extra cash for sure!

19. STT-Rider

Honestly, it's what you're used to pretty much. We use all Shimano because that's what my first bike had and we stuck with Shimano, but SRAM vs Shimano drivetrains are all about personal preference. I do sincerely believe that from a value standpoint its impossible to beat a full SLX groupo and XT is an incredible value as well.

Shimano brakes are the benchmark for reliability. We use Marta SL and MT-8 Magura brakes with organic pads because the feel and modulation is the best I have found anywhere, but I have zero issues running XT's as an alternative.

IFor wheels.....I have yet to find a set up better than Enve's on DT Swiss 240 or Chris King or Hope Pro II hubs.

20. Joe Morris