1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I bought the Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er a few months ago. I mainly bought that bike due to the price point. Not a bad bike, but it's still entry level. I already had to take it in to get the derailleurs tuned and I broke one of the cheap plastic pedals (cheap fix). For just under $600 OTD, I can't complain. I'll probably look to upgrade the derailleurs and fork within the next year when my warranty expires and by that point I'll know whether or not I'm sticking with this sport / hobby.

2. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

I just bought a hard tail a few days ago. The shop told me to bring it back after a month of riding so he can double check derailer adjustment as the cables will likely stretch a little. So hopefully that adjustment part is a normal.

3. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Yes, it's certainly normal... A lot of shops will give a lifetime adjustment deal. When the cables stretch, they throw off the alignment of the derailleurs, which, if not taken care of properly, have the ability to break the expensive parts (the derailleurs and their mounts) under torque. The chain might stretch slightly over time too, but if you're on a geared bike with a tensioner, it shouldnt be an issue.

4. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

5. Greysight

Greysight Well-Known Member

Congrats on a Top 3 finish in your first race. That's very cool.

6. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

ride

what trails will you ride the most = what bike you need

7. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

What do you guys eat/drink before you ride? I usually eat a cliff bar and it does ok for energy, but I'm hoping I can do better.

8. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

The chain will wear with the cassette. replacing a chain once a hard season of riding will increase the life of the cassette. I do chains once a race season and a cassette every 2-2.5, rings as needed. I use Teflon coated cables so once a year too along with housing and bleed the brakes.

9. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

peanut butter and cytomax, also all i have in my bunker for when the zombies come

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Pre-ride: A Cliff bar for base training. Nothing for tempo or intervals.

Post-ride: Nothing for base training. Recovery drink for tempo or intervals.

11. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We run XT drive components on all our MTBs (ok, Bonnie has XTR on one of hers because she's cooler than me) and SRAM chains. We replace chains at the 60% worn threshold and to date I have never replaced a chain ring or cassette. Besides preserving chain rings and cassettes our bikes tend to shift very nicely and I've never broken a chain.

12. STT-Rider

Bicycling Magazine had a good article on this about a year ago. Try to find it. When I changed my preride nutrition routine, I was rewarded with more energy. I knew NOTHING about proper nutrition and was pretty stoked with the results.

13. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. I think I should chart what I eat against how I feel on a ride. At times I feel great, and other times I struggle and I'm convinced it is down to nutrition. I google "bicycling magazine pre-ride nutrition" and got a lot of good results. I'll be reading for days!

14. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

This sounds good! What is your definition of "60% worn"?

15. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

this may sound gross, but a few of the guys i ride with will eat anchovies pre and during the ride and i do it on occasion as well. it provides all the components you need: protein, omega3 fatty acids, plenty of electrolytes and salts. combined with a drink like scratch labs, it's excellent, albeit an acquired taste. i'll also eat shot blocks during the ride if i feel a bonk coming on. After ride? protein and a beer or two are my recovery reward. :beer:

16. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

All add that Trek has an incredible warranty insurance program in their Trek Care Plus- it covers just about everything, wear and tear, accidents and crash damage. My next bike may be a Trek because of it.

17. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

There are chain stretch tools. Some are just go-no-go tools, others give a % worn indication. They pretty much tell how far the pins are apart.

18. STT-Rider

Ya and if you're not leading the group the burps will kill you.

Post ride is low fat chocolate milk. As good as any and better than most higj dollar foo-foo drinks.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I also drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Not really sure how well it works - I've read differing opinions on the subject - but it does beat shelling out big bucks for a dedicated drink.

20. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Chocolate milk is good in a pinch. But I prefer Hammer Recoverite. I only use it after tempo (Tuesday) or interval (Thursday) workouts though. Occassionally if the Saturday long workout gets out of hand.