1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just picked up 2014 Hyundai EQUUS

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

My '92 Lexus SC400 was probably my favourite car ever. It did every right. Literally everything. It was fast, it was stylish, it was luxurious and it was exotic. Driving that car made me feel like a million bucks! Unfortunately somebody stole it while I was at the gym (broke into my locker and took my keys/wallet) and it was found a week later wrecked & totalled from a head-on collision.

About 5 years later.. I replaced it with a '98 GS400 and the experience was just as wonderful. I believe when it first introduced it was the quickest 4-door sedan in the world (32V 4.0L V8 making 300hp/300tq) delivering 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds. Didnt take long for BMW to counter with the 6spd manual 540i. Beyond the speed, the '98 GS was one of the first cars on the road with touchscreen navigation which would become a real game changer.

A decade later and I have yet to buy another Lexus. But if I was to go Lexus shopping, I'd agree with others.. I would give Hyundai a serious look first. As they are following the exact game plan that worked so well for Lexus. Seems like the Koreans are getting closer & closer to the quality, reliability and technical features commonly found on Japanese cars.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ive wanted a Lexus LS4xx since they came out (still do). The ES on the other hand- always seemed foolish to spend the premium for the Lexus badge for what's essentially a loaded Camry/Avalon. As for Hyundai...it'll be a loooong time before I take my chances on one, then again I don't ever see myself buying a new anything so I need to have trust in a 3-5 year old out of warranty car.

3. Daekwan

I can assure you, that if you were to actually test drive a ES300/350 vs. Camry counterpart.. that you would be MUCH more impressed with the ES. Its amazing the difference Lexus makes. Its almost unbelievable that its the same frame and powertrain.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And some Jags look like a Taurus, they're all related.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's too funny - just got yet another call from the dealer looking to get me to trade in mine.

6. Daekwan

Funny you say that. I've always thought the new Range Rover sports look like the Ford Explorer. Definitely some design language going on.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A rumor of them coming in around here has a line at the dealership. People chase the freakin' delivery truck when a 4 door is on it. :eek:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are a lot of new ones all around ATL, the dealer wants my used one. Which could be cool, the newer motor makes more power and the leather interior is kind of pimpin. They'd have to cover all the upgrades I've done though, at least those that can't come off.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When we were over at Jeep back in the spring, Sam kept yappin' (and is still yappin') about getting the one they had on the showroom floor.

"Dave, it had a f@ckin' Dragon on it! We need a jeep with a dragon on it."

She ain't right.

10. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

We just got a polar edition and a rubicon x edition that just came in....i bet it will be gone before the day ends.
    the only one that doesnt sell is the AEV brute with the 6.4 hemi that we have.....I might have to take it for myself. :D

I am sure the wife will make me get rid of the g63 for that though...she calls all of them jeeps.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They have a dozen of them at the local Jeep dealer. But those guys are pricks, so nobody wants to deal with them to buy them.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Speaking of Jeeps, one drove past me while I was walking my dogs yesterday. It was a newer 2door but is sure sounded like a diesel. It had some clatter and some turbo whine. It "might" have been a regular engine supercharged, but my money says Cummins conversion. Other than the sound and some stock sized aftermarket rims, it looked bone stock.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

So, next time I come to my office in Gaithersburg, I should put a for sale sign in the window of my '12 4 dr Sahara???
    Wasn't really planning on getting rid of it, but, 2015s are starting to show up and it's usually about 60 days from order to delivery if I get another one built to my specs. Complete redo of the Wrangler is supposed to happen in 2017, so, I either stick with this one 2 more years or get a new one to hold me over.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Those things run like 90 grand?

I saw a Filson edition the other week. Nice!!!

15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

My old cammed and blown JK sounded kinda like a diesel.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll take the Brute for regular Rubi pricing :D

The X is cool but not with the extra for what they put on it. In all reality I'm not even sure I want leather although it does clean better I'm liking cloth with neoprene covers.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still dreaming of the diesel in 2017.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

This is a filson edition. i think they want 130 for it.
    we have a regular 6.4 brute (we are a dealer) and that is about 110 (i think).

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I had the first X we got in. It was great as a daily driver...the wife liked the seats a lot more than the regular rubi. it got sold as soon as we got a g63amg in on trade. I needed the twin turbo v8. :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've gotten used to the Mango Tango color on mine so doubt I'll do a trade anytime soon. I am however seriously trying to figure out how to afford a supercharger.... Although a hemi conversion would work too. Seen a few Fortec here in town has done that are sweet.