1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

That's about where I woulda guessed.

2. The weight he stated has become attainable for full suspension all mountain.

3. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Don't think you can do it with aluminum frame and wheels plus a monster (Lyric?) fork. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

4. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

forks are totems, solo air.
    shock is a lowly RS ario RL air.

bike is 13 kg, and im fairly sure its 2.1lbs to 1kg so works out to be 27.3lbs

careful parts selections has kept the weight pretty good. Plus the fact that its a simple single pivot design helps in that department too.

Most of the weight dropped is in the wheelset, im not a rim basher, so I can get away with lighter wheels then some of my buddies. Wheelset consists of Saint hubs, dt swiss competition spokes, alloy nipples, WTB frequency I23 rims, running as tubeless with 2.1 kenda nevegal tubeless tyres.

tyres are light on for what the bike is capable off, but for generally trail duties they do enough.

when I go gravity endure racing, I throw the reverb dropper post and shwalbe hands dampf tyres ( 2.35) on the bike, which bumps weight up to 14 kg (29.4lbs)

cheers.joe.

5. Joe, have you considered just putting the wider front on and keeping the skinnier rear for the gravity endurance stuff. In my experience, that's a really good setup that makes the bike steer really well. Some of the bikes are even coming setup like that when you buy them now.

6. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

yeah I have played with that option, but I am "loose" rider and tend to let the back hang out and slide around, the bigger tyre makes it more predictable.

cheers.joe.

7. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Met the wife at Pisgah last week. The Fish Hatchery p-lot.
    [​IMG]

Cover Creek trail and Falls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of technical.
    [​IMG]

Come on woman!
    [​IMG]

2 days ago ws Blankets Creek in Woodstock Ga. 3 good trails, all about 4-5 miles long. Forget how tough some of those trails were.

Yesterday was an all day sufferfest in the N Ga mtns at Bear Creek/Pinhoti trail, near the Cohutta wilderness. Chasing some good very-fit friends. 2 just got back from 3 weeks in the Swiss Alps, doing 50-120 mile days/10-12k vertical the entire time. They about killed me haha.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night I swapped out the oem stem on the 29r for a PZ Racing ultra light. Saved a whopping 5gms.. The oem stem was surprisingly very light. Oh well, it looks cool ..I guess.

[​IMG]

Today was those same trails at Tsali with the wife. My legs are tired.
    [​IMG]

The end

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

The Foundry Broadaxe I rode was this way. I rode the Specialized Fat Boy in Whitefish, Mt at a shop and it was noticeably more "cushy". I prefered the Foundry feel. I didn't put either through anything technical but your description definitely fits my parking lot feel.

9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Doing a lot of biking lately.

Did my first race last weekend (Maybury TT). Finished decent, 3rd in the noob group.

I'm leaving Thursday to go to Copper Harbor for 4 days of riding. Anyone ever been up there? Should be a riot.

Maybury TT:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I want to go to copper harbor really bad.

11. I have a lot of fun with the setup of fat front, skinnier rear. I also like that it makes it so that the back end usually steps out before the front would break traction.

12. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

In that line of thought.

The front does all the steering and most of the important braking. I'm about to go to a rr Stans Notubes Crow 2.2(29r) in the rear, for faster rolling and less weight(525gms). Will keep the bigger knob'd Conti 2.2 RaceKing in the front(650gms) for the better steering it offers. I'm staying with larger volumn because its a HT.

And good job JJJerry. Mtb racing is tough.

13. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I'm leaving Thursday to go to Copper Harbor for 4 days of riding. Anyone ever been up there?

Went there last year and am leaving next tues. to go back for their Trail Fest & Enduro.....You`ll love it, everything`s fun, the climbs are easy, lots of man made features if you`re into them. The Flow is one of the trails you gotta hit right away, 15 min. easy climb, you go right up the boardwalk "corkscrew" to the top and go left till you come to knee high stone wall and the entrance is across the road, 4 miles of shits & grins.....The Overflow is another, little more DH`ish it actually jumps right over the Flow trail off a big walled berm jump. The Harbor Haus is a good place to eat & theres even a little brewery in town.....I`m also going to go check out Marquett after I leave CH, I`ve heard about some good stuff there also....Have fun!

14. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

That's in line with what I've heard! I'll try to take some pics and videos to share!

Thanks

15. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

I went mountain bike riding for the first time in Brevard NC out at Dupont state park last weekend with a friend that has been bugging me to try mountain biking. I had a blast and I think I am hooked.

Now I need to figure out what bike to buy. I'm thinking I will get a HT for cost reasons, but not sure of the 27.5 or a 29er yet. I rented a dual suspension 27.5 Santa Cruz this last weekend. I am going to try a 29er this weekend, and I am curious how it will work on a medium frame.

16. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

27.5 vs 29er is all personal preference. If you are shorter, you might prefer the 27.5. The 29er climbs well, rolls faster, and blows over rocks easily. 27.5 has tighter, more responsive steering.

I got the 2014 Trek Superfly 9.6. It came with a carbon frame, but not so nice components. I rode it for about 6 months and started upgrading... I went with a full XT drivechain and Stans Crest wheels. Dropped down to 23.5 lbs. It's perfect. I race cat1 womens mtb. We went to dupont last month and there was nothing I couldnt do on the HT. I've done a few 100miler NUE races and havent come across anything there either (Shenandoah mtn 100 is next weekend!). Heading to Pisgah Oct 10th-12th. I feel like if there is a place I'll find stuff I cant do on the HT, it'll be there.

If you're tight on cash, you might want to just go for a single speed. The new Rig (it might be called a superfly) is sweet as hell this year. SS makes you fast very quickly and doesnt hurt nearly as much as you'd think! I ride the SS as much as I possibly can & loveeeee it!

17. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Talk to some joker on a Focus 29r yesterday at Tsali:D?

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I ride a medium FS and Im over 6'. I put a longer stem on it to accomodate my reach. I prefer a smaller bike.
    I also prefer full suspension over HT because the ride is more comfortable and you can lock the rear shock if you prefer a hardtail feel ocasionally.

19. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

It was nice meeting you and your wife, hopefully will bump into you again soon some weekend up there

20. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Same here. Good talking to you guys.

If you get a chance in the future, post up here if'n your over this way again. Or Pisgah/DuPont for that matter.

Her and I paddled the Nanty today. My legs were getting mad at me after 3 hard days straight of riding.