1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So What's it Gonna Be (US Roadracing)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Aug 10, 2014.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It wasn't long ago that everybody but the factories wanted them out of the AMA. They controlled the rules, only let certain teams have the good parts....etc. Kinda like the tire guys.

Things have come full circle and now it appears we need the factories $$ and participation to move forward. I really hope whoever takes the reins of this thing has a clear vision and doesn't change it whenever it suits them.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

you guys are gonna be really bummed to find out the big announcement is a 5 year contract extension for Ralph Shitheen

3. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Real simple about Nascrap success. Everyone has a car. Few have motorcycles.

A great perspective. My comments about Draik were about the lack of participation with young folk. Maybe more will jump in if they see the cost effective common sense approach you have. Good work Dad!

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Dam I just figured it out. All the past stars that have made it world wide and are still alive that are millionaires from the sport have all decided to chip in together and give back to what made them wealthy men and start race schools to help develop the future stars:rock:

Dam, there I go being Naieve again, as it is there money and why should they give it away, that is not a healthy ROI

6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Thanks! I appreciate the kinds words too, Morris. I just wanted to post up our outlook on things.

As expensive as racing is, we just can't make it a wallet race. If an "outsider" happens to lurk this thread and see that there is an example of a "cheap" way to go race and have a great time making memories with your kid and learning life lessons on and off the track; GREAT! We have done this sport justice.

We make sure that Draik has good gear and sound equipment, the rest is up to him to push himself and learn what he is capable of.

I realize that our outlook on racing is probably not the common place, and that is fine, we are a peculiar people. I guess that is why you can appreciate it, Morris :Poke: :D

7. What do you mean "if" that were true? The things i talked about were facts. There were many riders making really good salaries, companies were selling shit, we had good promotion and we had good competition.

The economic crash and DMG's takeover is what ruined it...with more blame going to the latter.

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Tha salaries availlable back when in the USA were way over the top really man for a domestic series-they kept one kangaroo humper there for way to long

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It was unsustainable. Successful business models don't just go away. Just cause you were living high on the hog for a while and the hookers and blow are flowing doesn't mean you aren't gonna catch syphilis and get popped by Crockett and Tubbs.

10. I agree with that, to an extent. But it all depends on how much money is coming in. IMO, salaries (any salary, for any job or sport) is all based upon how rare your skillset is, and how much money is generated based upon your skillset.

If riders are bringing in hundreds of thousands into the pockets of other people, they are damn sure entitled to a chunk of that. THEY are the ones putting their lives on the line to line the pockets of others. I have always thought the idea of paying for a ride was a bad one. Why should a rider have to pay other people, to risk his life, to earn money for them? Mladin, Hodgson and several others spoke out on that subject and agree.

Im sure there are people that think I am overpaid for the amount of "work" I do. But again, it comes back to how much money my company is making and how there are few people in the world with my skillset/knowledge/ability. I have absolutely no problems with ball-sport athletes signing $100mil contracts. The owners/city/league/etc are making billions because of him. The athlete is the reason that money is coming in and he is the one doing the work, he should be rewarded accordingly. Supply vs demand vs profit.

Anyway, im getting off track. If a rider is bringing good money into the companies, he should be rewarded at a % based upon that figure. If a rider generates $1mil per year based upon his riding/name/status/etc, then i see absolutely no problem with him making $300k a year or more.

But yes, paying a rider $300k a year when they are spending $1mil a year on the program and only $500k profit is generated, is obviously not sustainable.

11. wsmc667

wsmc667 Well-Known Member

Some years ago, I was invited to participate in the building & running of a Ducati dealership by a wealthy Ducati enthusiast. The other brand he wanted was BMW.

This businessman said the two best brands for longevity and revenue were Honda and BMW. For slightly different reasons, but big picture, those two manufacturers are the best for business. Honda has the volume and the dealer support while BMW has the profits per units sold in combination with the volume to make BMW as a brand worth the time and effort.

Oh, yeah, Ducati made a handshake then screwed him so he bought a factory Honda to club race with and has a top-10 Honda dealership.

All that was like 10 years ago, so is kind of old news. From what I've seen in the industry lately, this would still be relevant.

This. Is. Epic. :wow: :clap: :beer:

While vending at World Superbike Laguna Seca and NOT seeing the AMA races on the in-paddock live feed I paid $500 for, I couldn't help but notice Steve Rapp running in the Harley class. Wow, that's pretty amazing, actually... I was watching on TV when he popped up in the AMA (at the Willow Springs round on V&H Ducati?).

Then I thought about how I first remember seeing Ben and Eric Bostrom: racing the 883 Sportster class in the AMA.

How telling is that if I were to aspire to race right now, I'd be most tempted by the AMA's lowest rung? And why is Steve Rapp racing there? I suspect because it's affordable enough that he can enjoy racing and only lose $10,000 or so doing it.

If anyone who reads this has ANY pull with AMA/Dorna/Laguna Seca, please for the Love of God get the cameras to show the bikes on the track for in-paddock TV feed during AMA events!! I don't know what the AMA shat into Dorna's corn flakes to make it so, but from what I was told as a vendor at the track, Dorna paid the camera people to ensure there were no cameras on when AMA bikes were on track. :(

Some thoughts from a wouldn't-have-been who's eeking out a living in the moto biz,
    Chris

12. caferace

caferace No.

DMG still owes money to Dorna from last year. Hell, so do I.

They've been steadily ramping up their fees. Not quite sure of the wisdom of it, but it is a fact.

I still managed to eke out a bunch of interviews from Indy, but it wasn't me. Just coordinating on the backslope.

-jim

13. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

With Rapp's current "real" job, I don't think he is spending a dime on racing the Harley.

14. six6two

six6two AWD

That right there, ladies and gentlemen, is the dumbest shit I've ever read on the internet! :bow::bow::bow::clap::clap::up:

15. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I think you mean revenue, because I'd take that profit scenario!

16. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I guess this is relevant here, though I don't post to WERA much. Last week, after another successful Cali club racing weekend, my 15 year old kid took me aside and told me he wanted to quit racing after 10 years. I asked him why, since the results are there, and he's finally getting recognition and sponsorship activity he's worked for, and he said he just doesn't see a future in it. He told me he doesn't want to end up 22 years old, living at home with the family bankrupt and just then figuring out that he can't make a living from roadracing. I told him we were on a multi-year plan that would cost a bit of money to get him there, and he said, then what? I had no answer for him.
    It seems like we've seen the "next step" evaporate just as we got there for him over the years, and the family has borne the cost at each step. Our crew chief told me that roadracing has turned into yachting, a pastime for wealthy families. After hearing what the families of some young riders have done to get their kid a spot on a pro team, I have to agree. I do have a very good job, but not that good.
    I hope things turn around at some point, but for now, this is not a sustainable path for us and I agree with my kid who sees no realistic way to make a paying career out of it.

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

15 years old? Pretty smart kid.

18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Smarter than his dad, by a long shot. I get this "race fuel amnesia" deal going on, where I forget about the big picture as soon as I smell some C12 and hear that noise. "Another tire? HELL YES mount up another tire!!!"

19. Chip

Chip Registered

I agree with Eddie. That is amazing maturity from a 15 year old. You have a good kid.

Yes - Your kids is right. If you want to go racing and have fun, go for it. If you are trying to get your kid a career, tell him to go to college.

This is the great tragedy of the DMG era and the reason why something must be done soon. Troy's kid might be the next Colin Edwards, but we will never know.

20. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Sharp kid you got there. Sucks that he wants to back out but he made complete sense with his reasoning.