1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Sweet. Seems these bikes are somewhat more common then I first thought.

Exactly same situation. 2013 left over being still in the shipping box. About half off the reg(which was $3200) price. A lot of bike for the amount of $.

2. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Bike looks schmick. Can anyone please give a laymans explanation of why the seat & chainstays are so spindly in the last year or so? Some new frame design/flex thing I've missed?

3. Vitabrew

Vitabrew Well-Known Member

4. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Yes. From the side they look thin, because they are a blade shape. As you suspect, they do flex upward somewhat, but laterally they're stiff. I've read more then once how this frame is exceptionally plush(relatively speaking of course, since after all its still a hardtail). Comments like "its THE best riding HT they'd ever ridden" and the like. Thats a good thing for sure. The 26" hardtail I used for that race in the pics, uses a carbon rear triangle. For the same reasons. Just takes the edge off the hits, but nothing more. Alum HTs and road bikes are notorious for riding harsh.

Surprisingly, its hard finding a pic showing a cross section of it. This one shows the width viewed from the rr somewhat better.
    [​IMG]

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I'll never ride an Al frame, road or mountain (HT). Steel or carbon ride magnitudes better. My Reynolds tubed frames ride so sweet and plush.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

so i sold my Intense T2 to a dude (not here). dude found 2 cracks in it at the seat brace weld and the swingarm near the pivot. didn't even think to look for anything like that, plus the paintjob kinda camo'd them from standing out. refunding and he's shipping it back. color me disappointed. i thought Intense rectified all that after they re-vamped the Tracer into the Tracer 2. so gay... looks like its gonna be a wall ornament now. i guess nothing is bulletproof, but i didn't huck it off anything nuts really at all.

figure Intense would prolly offer me a new frame discount, but since i don't need that, i'm not even gonna bother calling them. ugghhh...

7. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I walked away from that company after the 1st gen Spider fiasco and will never return.

8. Sweatypants

seems like nothing is safe... i've seen Commencal stays breaking pictures, seat tubes on Titus Ti HT frames cracking, Kona Supreme Operator top tubes cracking, my buddy's Knolly had linkage problems, heard of Evils having problems sometimes... i can only imagine dealing with smaller companies like Rocky Mountain or YT when they come here or Canyon/Lapierre/Orange/Transition/etc...

i dont wanna relegate myself in the future to supporting Specialized or Trek or Giant just cause they're so big and don't seem to have those problems, but its concerning a little. if my Commencal or Titus breaks, i feel like rectifying it will be more of a hassle than with one of the big boys. and considering this Commencal Supreme is literally twice as much as a Kona Operator, i might have to make different choices in the future. what it IS doing, is making me not want to spend boutique money on frames any more, and i'm definitely not doing a $1000 frame paintjob on anything again any more. Float 40's and DBair's seem to be bulletproof. SRAM X.0 and Race Face heavy duty shit is a non-issue. wheels are easy and cheap enough to rebuild if needed and Hope hubs are problem free...

frame is about to become the most disposable purchase now i think.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't see much about Banshee frames failing unless you really beat the hell out of them. Even then I don't think you'll find many failures. My LBS in Carolina was a Banshee dealer and man those things are serious. I would like to try the Paradox sometime.

10. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

Depends, some of the smaller companies, like ibis rarely have issues--if they do they are very quick and fair in resolving them, I believe there is a 2 yr warranty on the frame--after that--they have replaced frames for nothing to a few hundred bucks--pending on the issue-I get replies to minor issues via email within 24 hrs. It's amazing how much customer service varies from company to company--but I have No doubt that Ill be treated fairly/quickly by ibis--a big reason Ill keep buying them.

11. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I still have an 03 Spider(04 they went to larger better pivot bearings) with all the best stuff. Been a good bike, but it does require the pivot bearings replaced relatively often.

12. Sweatypants

yea... and i really don't have a lot to go on in that regard. i think Intense has good customer service, they're pretty helpful. but some of these companies i really just don't know. furthermore, if i would have seen the cracks, i probably would have tried to do some sort of replacement purchase of a 951 or M9, but unfortunately my DH bike is already up and running.

Was looking at Evil Undeads. Their website sucks so many bags of dicks I can only imagine how it is getting help and nobody has them ever. Devinci Wilsons, no basis there, but seems like it might be ok? Knolly seems pretty ok, quick to help my buddy out, but its definitely gonna have that lag time since its not abundant in dealers anywhere. YT is European, Commencal USA i dunno about yet, Kona I have no basis. I guess I just need to ask around more come next decision time. this purchase was done strictly off of 1) geometry 2) price 3) color... in that order. didn't consider any of the service i'd potentially need as a potential selling point, as i never really cared before.

hands down... Cane Creek is still the absolute best company to deal with IMO though... followed by SRAM. i'm inclined to stick with those guys for the most part (besides my Float 40's).

13. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

My Devinci is the first year Dixon and still going good, I have not heard of problems with them. Devinci seems to take their frame design and manufacturing very seriously. Same for Transition bikes, they seem to hold up pretty good and I'm sure Transition folks would sort any issues out quick.

14. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

Reynolds ftw!

15. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, they sent me a color matched rear triangle in a week. Are you the original owner?

16. Sweatypants

nope. got it off a dude after he had it for like a month then got something else. plus i painted it all crazy. and i have no use for a bike of that type any more. i'll just let it RIP.

17. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I picked up a like new fox float fork with remote CTD 100mm. I had a reba 80 on my el mariachi.

SO far just riding around my house I love it. Its like a totally different bike.... kinda

Anyone use the CTD? I have been sorta messing with it and "eh". Im not a fan of having the remote up on the bars, as its just more shit. Im a simple dude. and so far I can barely notice any sort of a difference in damping. Im debating on whether its worth having on or not and maybe if I can get rid of the remote and just have it on the top cap?

18. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

If you can't tell any difference in the CTD settings then something is very, very wrong with your fork.

19. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I mean, I can sorta tell a difference, but its not as dramatic as I had hoped. I guess I need to play with it some more and mess with the rebound and shit.

20. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

On both my CTD forks, they're nearly locked out in Climb. In Trail, the compression dampening is much softer but not nearly as soft as Descend. The changes are significant.

Good luck with it.