1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMG's Version Of AMA Pro Racing, 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by drybreak, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's the catch. I'm sure the bike will be awesome and a lot of fun but they'll probably price it out of the market. I bet it'll be around $10k. Nobody will buy one when you can buy a slightly used prepped middleweight for the same or less.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Not the best Advertising Slogan....

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Fixed :D

4. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

A spec LW class would be awesome. Either one of those bikes would fit the bill. Neither one would be perfect, but the goal is to develop riders not machinery.

CCS just announced that they will have a spec class for the CBR500R next year.

5. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Similar, but with a mix of series regulars and 1 or 2 race grid fillers. Production based bikes as well.

I ran a small KTM shop from 98-01 and KTM did a better job promoting the mini class than the supercross series did at the time. Generated a lot of interest and at least locally tons of families started racing as a result.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

How true....

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

The ideas are good and all, but is KTM or Honda going to jump up and foot the bill? The idea of a traveling KTM class where KTM provides bikes is great for the riders, but can KTM afford to foot the bill for running the bikes? Who will pay? I like the idea of an affordable 250/300 class that the riders/owners pay for. With the big manufactures (and some other smallers ones like Hero) all coming out with small displacement bikes and all. A spec class is great for rider development, but we are talking AMA PRO. Rider development is best done in the club racing series like WERA.

8. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

I'm thinking maybe 300s for the lightweight class given some other manufacturers getting involved in that displacement.

I believe DMG released info on only one 600 class starting in 2015 (DSB). The Supersport class is effectively being replaced by a "lightweight" class.

9. K Kling

Why would the riders not pay for the KTM or the CBR500R? Just like any other class in AMA Pro, the riders/team buys the bike and builds it to the rules. Just because it's a spec class doesn't mean that there has to be a mfg paying for everything.

Rider development is more than learning to ride a bike. A lightweight class in AMA Pro would give the young talent a chance to acclimate to the professional environment, the fans, and, most importantly, the pressure associated with racing on that level. Why do 16 year old kids need to be on a 600? Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

10. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

From all the photos it appears that the KTM has a solidly mounted subframe. Is it possible that it's actually a bolt on unit?

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I am in full agreement. I look forward to seeing what the AMA has in the works.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

A lightweight class doesn't mean it is an entry level class. So what do you want? Entry level class or a lightweight class?

13. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I agree that 600's are a bit big for a feeder class.

But I don't think the 390 would be 10K. The 690 is 8K, has more horsepower, and as far I know, is still made in Europe not India. It can also be brought down to under 300lbs as well. It's why I bought one instead of waiting for the 390.

14. K Kling

Where did I say it was a beginner class?

15. backcountryme

I was responding to post #19.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Where did I say it beginner class?

You implied entry level by saying "A lightweight class in AMA Pro would give the young talent a chance to acclimate to the professional environment, the fans, and, most importantly, the pressure associated with racing on that level. Why do 16 year old kids need to be on a 600? Just because they can doesn't mean they should."

17. K Kling

Ok, "entry level" then. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Does it have to be one or the other?

18. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

They don't....though your post indicated they were coupled....so why do they have to be coupled?

20. backcountryme

Do you hear that? That screeching sound like a big rig locking the tires up? That is the sound of Sunshine bringing this thread to a sudden stop.