DMG's Version Of AMA Pro Racing, 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by drybreak, Mar 18, 2014.

1. drybreak

drybreak Fuelish Boy

I don't live on here so it's possible that I've missed this discussion. All apologies if so.

But, I get the feeling that amaproracing's program next year will include a spec class for the CBR500R, similar to the European Junior Cup.

So, there'll be Superbike, they will combine the two 600 classes, HDs will continue at least through 2015, and they'll add the CBR500R spec class.

You heard it here first. ;)

Discuss.

Attached Files:

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't think that's a bad thing, its working good in EU, lots of good close racing and it make a good feeder class for the kids.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I will beleive it when I see it..... I hope it happens...

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Bring back the Aprilia Cup!

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bingo.... Only give them 450's:up:

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Personally, I wish they would pick this bike instead.

My friend bought a KTM1190 Saturday so I was with him at the dealer. The owner of the dealership swore that they are bringing this bike here. No word on price.

[​IMG]

7. drybreak

drybreak Fuelish Boy

Yeah, me too. In the shape the series is in, I'm not too confident they could pull it off if they wanted to.

Have my doubts it would be enough to save them if they did.

It's just a thought I came up with during a fb conversation, and thought I'd bounce if off you guys.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would hit it!!!!:up:

9. rd400racer

I just did some basic research so don't hold these specs to me...I pulled them from various internet sites so take it for that.

KTM 390RC

44 HP
    306.4 #'s (I believe this is totally dry weight)
    Top speed 152 MPH

Honda CBR500R

42.9-44.5 HP
    425 #'s fully wet
    Top speed 124 MPH

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I would rather see something with 250/300s. With all the major manufacturers coming out with them and all. Single make classes are cool, but I would like to see different brands fighting it out myself.

11. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I'm all for aligning the AMA with the World Stage. If done properly it can facilitate more wild-card rides, generate increased interest in the sport, and attract non-industry sponsors. How great would it be to see the 200 return to it's former glory and have guys from BSB and WSB running alongside their counterparts, all hunting purse money?

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Those numbers would suggest about 125 MPH top speed to me. Similar to the Aprilia Cup bikes.

13. rd400racer

I have to agree with you; that top speed seemed a bit optimistic.

I pulled those specs off an Indian website (where the bike is made).

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would be thrilled to see the Honda or the KTM as a lightweight AMA class. A spec class will need OEM support to work. I hope it happens.

15. Bring in KTM as a series sponsor. Ditch the Harley class and have 2 new spec classes:

RC390
    SuperDuke 1290

16. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

No way would I base a series on these guys in my fantasy world where I rule all. It has been more fickle than a 13 year old girl in the past.

17. Joe Morris

That's news to Broome! :crackup:

18. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Want.

19. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I would love to see a true spec class for the lightweight bikes and think that the KTM fits the bill perfectly.

I could see a fleet of identically prepped bikes traveling from race to race similar to the progran KTM ran for the supercross. Its not a direct comparison as the riders were chosen for the most part by a lottery system.

Was it a sideshow? Yep, but KTM sold a hell of a lot of minis.

I could see a system where younger racers send in a race resume to qualify for a lottery and split into a tiered program based on running the full series or single events. Rider resumes would need to be carefully checked by AMApro (encouraging communication with club racing orgs) and the bikes remain in the posession of AMApro or the series sponsor.

Techs would be provided at the rack to handle bike set up issues.

Based on my experience with the KTM mini supercross thing this generated a large ammount of exposure for the series, and KTM as well as mini racing in general.

Sure politics got involved (my nephew got bumped for Ken Griffeys Jr's kid one year)

Properly managed, it could work.

It could be very cost effective for the racers, and get great exposure for the class sponsors. It may also be a good way to attract the locals including the local media types out to the track if for no other reason than to see little Timmy take on the world...

Discuss

20. Joe Morris

Like the Red Bull Rookies Cup from 2008?