1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Carillo H beams. A bit longer than oem rods?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Would a 2mm over bike, although probably less expensive to build, be less reliable or is it a wash?

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:beer::bow: Nice Mike. I'd like to learn how to do that stuff.

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

either way, you still need to address the rods and you should lighten the flywheel or go to BDK charging system.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Just picked up an Ed Key bike. It's spooky some of the stuff he did to the thing to make it weigh under 300.

5. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'm going to need some details :D

6. grasshopper

It's all classified information. The only way to get the information out of me is to feed my 10 beers and 5 shots of Jim Beam.

7. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Those beers must subtract 14 lbs. :D

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The stock SV crank is already fragile.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have almost 3 years on a 13.5:1 compression 677 with stock crank. Crank has been balanced and given the Falicon supercrank treatment. I owe the longevity to the BDK charging system. It takes so much weight off the end of the crank.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Is that why you replaced? Their generic dyno show +3 h.p. That thing is expensive.

11. grasshopper

I don't agree with the charging system being the reason why the crank lasts longer. One superbike I have is a total loss. The other has it's charging system but with 3 magnets removed from the flywheel. The flywheel is balanced true. Both crankshafts are stock and were sent to Falicon for balancing. The crank in the big motor was lightened and balanced 5 years ago and has been in 2 different motors. Fingers crossed.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

So you're agreeing with me that the crank lasts longer by taking weight off of the left side of the crank where it usually snaps off, but disagreeing with me that the BDK accomplishes this? Or, are you simply saying there are other methods of lightening the left side of the crank, such as total loss, removing magnets, lightening the flywheel, etc?

No doubt, balancing the crank reduces vibration and results in a smoother running motor. It is essential when switching components such as rods and pistons. However, balancing the crank has nothing to do with the twisting forces associated with banging downhifts with 5 lbs attached to the end of the crank.

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Speedwerks (the importer) says they have never seen the end of a sv crank snapped off when a BDK generator was in use.

I agree it is very pricey but if you spend 3-5K on a superbike motor, whats another $1100 if it keeps the thing from blowing up?

Honestly, best thing to do is race junkyard motors in superstock . If they pop, buy another for $400 and keep on racing.

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Yes, the balance and lightened charging system makes a huge difference. That stock rotor is HEAVY. I have yet to break a lightened and balanced crank.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I learned the BDK is $1100. How much is lightening and balancing and rods? Ty's motor was a cam swap, flatslide, milled head deal and it blew up right before we quit racing it. It was only an 80HP engine. I lucked out and another racer sold me a good motor at a fantastic price that was also at least 80HP, could have been 85, don't know as I never dyno'd it and we only ran it 2X and then sold the bike.

TIA

16. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

How is Tyler doing?

While I'm interested in a BDK system, what other options (as far as charging) are available for a 2nd Gen and still produce enough juice to run all the normal stuff including PC3 and QS?

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

run 3 magnets and lighten the flywheel and starter clutch. No issues on a 1st or 2nd gen race bike with 3 magnets.

18. benprobst

A set of rods is 450. a balanced crank is 250 dollar service. A ligthened and balanced sprag and flywheel is 150, ish. Most motor builders will charge 600-1200 for the service of taking the motor apart and putting it together with those parts in it. Then 120 for bearings. 150 for gaskets. The rest of the money is in the heads/valve/springs and can sneak up on people.

For outright peak HP it takes very little work to the heads, they actually produce peak hp incedibly well with a nice blend to the boot up top and proper transition on the valve seats on the bottom. We have seen 93 on stock rods with slap in 3mm pistons, stock valves, FCRs, the mentioned 1 - 2 hr worth of head work and a set of cams similar to double second gen intakes. no cam sprockets. the thing lasted 2 fucking years. I was pissed and happy at the same time :D That being said, my proper quality with good heads and stock valve two mil motors on the same dyno made 87-90 hp, however they also made 56ft lbs of torque vs 50 and made nearly 15 more hp from 5k to 8.5. A lot of people fail to see how much faster a well built 83 hp motor is than a cheap and quick 88 hp motor. Too many people skip over the time function on their dyno sheets.

I tell customers we can make 85-90 hp with 800 dollars and it might last the dyno runs or it might last 2 years. Or we can make 85-90 hp and know it will last 2 years for 3000 and up. Its a tough pill to swallow putting so much money into reliabilty and not gaining any hp, but its the right way to do it.

That being said, even as an engine builder, if you have the support and williningness to do the work. Slapping in cheap 82-85 hp motors until they break has become appealing for some. However, 1st gen cranks seem to be getting a bit tougher to come by, 2nd gen rods completly suck, and more and more cases are showing up worn out.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Jeff Reel told me stock SV heads are good for 90hp. He was right! The heads on my 90hp 650 have a good valve job and the int boots blended. That is it.

20. benprobst

Yep they do well for peak, they suck for midrange.