747 crash Afganistan

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, May 1, 2013.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Load shift comes quickly to mind but it could be anything at this point. The airplane definitely stalls. You can stall any airplane. It isn't really a function of power (sort of).

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_Flight_102

"At the time of the crash the airline had been operating between Bagram and Dubai for a month. The aircraft had taken off on runway 03 at 15:30 Afghanistan time (11:00 am UTC) and was climbing through 1,200 feet (370 m) when the nose of the aircraft rose sharply. A crew member was heard on VHF air-band radio reporting that some of the load of five heavy military vehicles in the cargo hold had shifted; the aircraft then stalled and crashed. The crash site is off the end of runway 03, within the perimeter of the airfield. All seven crew died: four pilots, two mechanics and a loadmaster.

Although Taliban spokesmen claimed responsibility for the destruction of the aircraft, reports based on communications from the crew after takeoff indicate that the crash resulted from a catastrophic load shift, which caused the aircraft to experience a high-aft-center-of-gravity condition, become unstable, stall and crash.[5][6] A car driver in the vicinity of the runway end recorded the stall and the crash; the video is available online."

RIP to all involved.:(

4. ton

ton Arf!

there's further discussion in the dungeon.

RIP

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That was f'n crazy. Looked like a really steep climb but that could be the camera angle.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If the load shifted to the tail like that, how did they get the nose down before impact?

7. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

I'm not real keen on flying but that was one scary deal to watch,man that makes me nervous as hell. I know I'm over reacting but damn.....

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

full forward yoke, throttles back to idle, and the nose drops. you can then hear him go back to full throttle but its too late and too low at that point. Tough thing is, when the nose comes down, the load shifts again, this time to the front. I wildly incorrect CG is doom.

9. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

To me it almost looked like a frozen elevator, his angle of attack looked way steep. If that were the case, it could definitely cause a stall out.

Of course... that's just another theory. Who knows what actually happened.

10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Hard to fathom a professional outfit getting the CG wrong or having the load break loose, but it sure looks like that's what happened. (and the pilot apparently indicated via radio) Only other thing I can think of is a catastrophic failure of some sort in the tail?

Any of you been on a small regional jet that isn't fully loaded, and they ask you to move to another seat? They're balancing the plane.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why would they throttle back to idle?

12. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

How in the hell did that thing spin into to the ground like that without losing the tail or wings? It was coming straight f-ing down!

13. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

CG is way behind the center of lift = uncontrolled descent

14. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

:
    When full forward stick won't lower the nose that would generally be the next step.

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I doubt it. If full power is not enough to fly less is not going to help.

16. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

that evolution was all low-G stuff and the 747 is a tough as nails airframe

17. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Crazy video, very sad to see.

I couldn't imagine not being able to control the pitch of the aircraft especially one that size with only 1000 feet between you and the ground. Very scary.

18. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

It'll force the stall and get the nose to drop, which is exactly what happened. Only problem was with the crazy-aft CG there was no hope of being able to recover it :(

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

It makes no sense to me either but I am sitting here reading that exact procedure in an old C-137 manual.

20. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

With an aft CG the engines are doing their best to pivot the nose up and around the CG?