1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of flying

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, I see why I disagree with your ranking. I checked out your link. They are using the following criteria and trying to come up with a prediction:

Net financial result
    Passenger Load Factor
    Total number of employees
    Total number of pilots/copilots
    Total number of cabin crew employees
    Total number of km flown
    Overall number of aircraft in service
    Average age aircraft in service
    Percentage of aircraft on order
    Homogeneous flee of Airbus or Boeing
    Homogeneous type of aircraft
    Number of aircraft no longer in production
    Number of aircraft considered at risk
    Number of accidents during the last 10 years
    Maintenance expenses

I was looking at their safety record.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Meh. If the plane is going down nothing I can do about it. Sam will get a shit ton of $$$, I'll be dead and the BBS will be a better place.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No it wouldn't! Who'd rip off them funny one liners that makes stuff shoot out of my nose?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hippy Joe is pretty damn good when he isn't banging out a beat on his bongo or hackying his sacky. I nominate him.

Or crazy Steve.

I'll be dead, I won't care.

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I promise you no one wants to live in my world. One ounce of power and I turn into a monster.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I LOVE to fly. I HATE airports!!!!

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

And that's different from Mr K how?:confused:

:Poke::D

9. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

I worked at Boeing 96-99. All I could say back then was "wow". I was one of the only licensed A&P mechs in the area. Half the people couldn't/didn't read the blueprints. They used "tribal knowledge". Found shit that was being installed wrong for almost 20 years. Happy I quit that shitty union job. And yes, I dont like to fly.

10. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I think these statistics are just that, statistics. Gotta put things into perspective.

For example, let's say American Airlines had the best safety record in 2001. Then September happens, and obviously their statistics show the most deaths. Does that make AA the most dangerous airline in the US?

Airlines flying to small, 3rd world islands are probably going to have more issues that ones that fly just to major southern US hubs.

I think you would need inside knowledge to really know which airlines are safer than others. Maintenance records, FAA fines, complaints, etc. Air traffic control and ground crews (remember the Concord?) can have an effect.

BTW, was any of those airlines listed from Iran? They have a pretty sketchy reputation.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I love going on airplanes. I hate, HATE, hate flying on commercial airliners with the great unwashed, perfumed, stinky-ased, foul-breath, cigar-smoke-reeking nasty-ass mo-fo's that get tickets and just HAVE to sit by me.

Just back from a trip Philly to Sacramento. On the out leg, got a seatmate, skinny little college girl. I figure, OK, maybe she'll talk a little and be otherwise no problem. Definitely plan t muscle her bony little arm-sticks off the armrest. WRONG! She never said a word. Got on, put in her earbuds, fell asleep with her bony little ass tilted my way. Then..."fweet! fweet!" she starts squeezing out these little girl-farts. Every one stunk like she had put three kilos of nước mắm Phú Quốc to ferment up in her colon for a fortnight.

I had to put my little airline blanket over my nose for half the flight.

I bet she didn't have any idea why I was giving her the stink-eye when she got up. Or why I stood on the strap of her carry-on case while she was trying to get it out from under the seat.

Nasty little bitch.

On the return leg I get Mister So-Fat-He-Can't-Put-His-Elbows-Down in the middle seat. He immediately tries to commandeer BOTH armrests! I go "No fuggin' way, lard boy!" Then the pushing match starts. He is using the poor little Asian girl in the window seat for traction and counter-force. I manage to gain dominance of the armrest, but he retaliates by putting his hot, sweaty thigh against mine unless I twist my torso and try to stick my legs out into the aisle. Sorry, Dude, not even a little interested to exchange body heat with a fat man.

I hate flying commercial!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have many problems flying at all and we're going out west a couple few times a year. Yeah occasionally the lines through security are long, not a big deal. Yeah occasionally there's a crying baby on the plane, I've got good headphones. Yeah occasionally someone stinks, I fart in their general direction. Still quick, easy, cheap way to travel compared to having to drive all the way out there 6-8 times a year.

Ever think maybe it's just you guys who are the problems? :D

13. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do they count those in accident statistics?

15. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I'm going to need flight times/dates to verify a few things here.:D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While I may be the fat guy in the middle seat I'm not the smelly one or the one slowing the line down at security :D

17. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Velcro closers instead of shoe laces, right? :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope - but laces loose enough to just slide em off if it's cold enough for gymshoes, otherwise it's flippity flops all the way :D

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

i wear crocs when i fly. :D

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

now i understand. :)