1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting around Europe

Discussion in 'General' started by scotth, Oct 27, 2012.

1. scotth

scotth Banned

Anyone traveled around Europe? In the past I just did everything through Delta, and each time someone there would say either take the train, or try RyanAir, et al, but their description always seemed like a hassle or took too long, or whatever. It's personal travel without a set plan, and last minute fares get steep sometimes, so I thought I'd try something else if that happens again. Anyone done it?

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Eurorail is the way to go. See the country side and relax. Why waste time in an airport. Ryanair can be a pain in the arse, cancelling flights.
    Ya could rent a bike.

3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

+1

You could get a Euro pass which will make things cheaper. Just get it before you show up.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, did this and went from Paris down to Capri and everything in between. Had zero plans and would get off the train when I found an interesting little town and then catch the next train to wherever.

6. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Plus a billion. The only caveat about trains is to make sure they run when you need them to and that there aren't any planned strikes or outages. Use Bahn.de for train schedules and buy the ticket at the stations, unless you're in Germany, then buy them online.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Depending on where you're going, car rental isn't bad either.... I was skeptical too, but it was really a lot easier than I thought.

Was on a trip for work and rented a car to get from Zurich to Strasbourg, Fance... Just like driving on the interstate.. GPS in any language you need it (GPS even warned when coming up on those European traffic cameras), and border crossing was simple. Flexible for making it to those places that aren't walking distance from the train stop.

8. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Both of my kids backpacked around Europe (separately) two years ago. They used kayak.com for airfares and fast bookings, eurailpass for trains. Since wireless is available easily in cafes, etc., there is no problem getting online and connected.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eurail multi country pass(es).

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

3 years ago I did 3 week trip. Rented car in Germany which was $750 for 3 weeks with unlimited milage (peugeot 207). Made circle from Germany to Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Swiss and back to Germany.
    This summer 8 of us went there and rented minivan for 2 weeks (~$1000). Did not cruise through other countries, just up/down the Croatian cost.

12. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Yeah Eurorail for sure, just honeymooned in Switzerland and rode through Italy too, mountain train.

Get them online while you are still in the states, huge discounts for that. We ordered ours online 2for1 deal, and got it delivered in 2 days.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That right there sounds like my kinda vacation!!

14. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

Take the train... I travled around Europe for two months. The train might take a while, but the people you met and the experiences it worth it.

15. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

http://www.seat61.com is an awesome site for train info in europe

caught trains from london to saigon/ho chi minh, it was super helpful, and get your belarus visa before the border.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Eurail is good if you're traveling every few days, beyond that I didn't find it cost effective. Planning a month or so ahead for each flight and being flexible on dates (and possibly destinations) makes the budget airlines like Ryanair, EasyJet, Aer Lingus et al very attractive. They will absolutely F you on baggage however; make sure you read the fine print and buy it ahead of time if you need carry-ons.

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Where and when in Europe are wanting to go? That makes a difference in my opinion. For ease of travel anywhere and everywhere definately Europass. But, I'll remember riding/driving through Europe much more then falling asleep on the train.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very true if you're staying in the same place for weeks or a month.

19. Steve Shaw

Steve Shaw Active Member

.... My Vote goes to doing it by Car ...... we just got back from a month in Europe .... we did BSB at Silverstone followed by some travelling in Europe ... Brugges, Brussels, Germany, Luxembourg, Paris... including the WSB at Magny-Cours and then a Ferry back to England and worked our way up the Coast for BSB at Brands Hatch.

Distances are surprisingly short if you are used to North American standards.

If you want to see the Countryside you stay off the main Highways .... if you want to get somewhere quicker you just pay the Toll and use them ....

We did approx 2500 Miles during the Month...

Steve

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Train in Holland, Belgum, Germany, or Spain. Amazing service and comfort. I would imagine France as well.

Italy, er, not so much. Or better yet, forget about details like timing and schedules. I don't think those words translate to Italian :D

Airports are fine as long as they close to the city. Places like Munich and Amsterdamn are far from, about an hour's train ride. Their TSAs officers are FAR less stricter than ours, so security lines move faster.

If u can rent a bike in Spain or Germany, I'd highly recommend it. Take advantage of the super low Euro!!!!!