1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atheist - I don't get them?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Hawk518, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You make a good point.

I don't disagree with what should be. Ideally, yes. But again to my original point, one could not expect the best result using the basis of the presentation. The use of the symbol may not progress the message. Unfortunately.

I don't think the artist is stupid and therefore, I am "ass"uming that there was intent.

In the end, the original or intent is lost. The artist failed.

I kind of like your alternative, as well. In my younger years I used similar to fight back in response to attacks and defense of my own viewpoints. It was not easy being the only atheist among Catholics. However, it suggest (to me) that Christians need to choose one or the other? Maybe, it is possible to enjoy Xmas in full and still keep Christ in it? There is no hypocrisy, in my opinion.

I feel comfortable and I am at peace with my choices and fellow men when it comes to religion. I get respect because I extend it to others. I have no need to offend anyone's belief or lack of. I do remain cautious about poking bigger bears.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Can you think of anyone else that's less funny? Walter Cronkite's dead. :Poke:

Or, they could be simply retaliating for all the times the bible thumping christer nuts have made a point to proselytize to them?

I know that's what drove me to be an obnoxious shit to the busybodys with bibles.

I think the Witlesses actually have me blacklisted now. It's safer for them that way. :D

3. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Less funny?

Obama.

:D

4. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

This is apparently the point that was trying to be made. The display was done by a young christian boy and his mother. linky

An Atheist group had a large approved sign that they conveniently placed next to the skewered skeletal Santa but had no affiliation with it.

This has been a yearly issue here. I wish folks would just put up the display of their choice in their own front yards instead of trying to make a statement on public property. Hopefully the town will go back to banning all of them on the courthouse lawn in the future to stop these issues from happening.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Interesting. There seems to be two different takes on the artist(s). In the works that I cited in the original post:

6. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Ok, but that's like saying math is dumb because I just don't get it. If one makes an assumption about the message the artist conveys then who is to blame here.. the conveyer or the conveyee? If one doesn't understand math is it the teacher's fault or the fault of the student who assumes the teacher just sucks?
    Of course there was intent... but prior to asking the artist what their intent was, everyone who sees it will just assume... why is that the artists fault?
    By what standard of value? Yours or his? I'm guessing most Atheists "got it" and perhaps even a few devout christians even appreciated the message and maybe even some more mainstream christians began to question their hypocrisy (lord knows that would be a miracle in itself).. so perhaps "mission accomplished" is apprapos.

Is being materialistic a sin? I think most people look forward to receiving gifts just as much as giving them.

Ok, but the reality is that being offended by someone is a personal choice and is nothing more than a self-inflicted wound... but I agree, respect is not automatic.. if you respect someone you should have a good reason to.

7. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

I agree with the live and let live mentality.. doesn't mean I'm going to get offended by people with different beliefs or take physical action against them when they attempt to make a statement... I can't help that they are stupid! nor is it my problem... unless they are using the government to take my property.. but that's different.

8. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Shocking, isn't it? Since when has the media let facts get in the way? I watched a couple of the local TV news reports tonight and their stories were the same as was what was in the link I posted. Who knows, the display could actually just be an homage to Tim Burton's "A Nightmare before Christmas".

I drive by there almost daily so if I see them I will ask what the real deal is. Although I'm sure it will be a fiasco if/when they try to erect the display again like they say they will.

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

What is materialistic? Is there a value standard, assumptions? My materialism is only relative, in direct comparison. Sometimes I am, sometimes I am not. I put little value in it. I don't think it is a sin but a desease.:D

I say that the artist failed because we are discussing something else, not the message because of the symbolism chosen.

I would add that an artist work once released is independent of intent but how it is perceived. It is not a result of 2+2 = 4.

I respect people's point regardless of my own. I am a bit more selective about respecting a person but in terms of religion, I am not bound to disrespect base solely on the difference of opinion.

Again to my original point, as an atheist I am often dumfounded by the attempts to offend those of faith. Consideration and respect is rarely exercise.

I don't want to provoke any religion. Atheists are still a minority. The NEA has a long way to go.:D

I have to add that I have seen a second description of the "artist" that differ from the first. And, may actually lean towards innocence.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hi James.

Fix yer sig line, your blog URL is fucked.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

If you happen to come across the "artist" and he is an atheist, tell them a fellow atheist says "wake not the sleeping dogs".:D

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Where is the hypocrisy in Christians celebrating what they consider a holy day, but which has been commercialized?
    Let's commercialize MLK day and then rant about the hypocrisy of those who still think it means something.
    Then you can moralize about those few blacks who "get it".
    The real hypocrites here are the people who think they have the right to believe what they believe, but need to demonize those who believe otherwise. There's no evidence one way or the other here, just belief.
    Enlisting a child in this idiocy is just sad.

13. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Will do:up:

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do you tell the Witlesses that when they bring their little brainwashed automatons to your door on a Saturday morning? :Poke:

15. Hellgate

Hellgate Active Member

I couldn't have said it better.

16. In Your Corner

Actually, they do show up from time to time. I've never seen children with them, just older teens, usually not accompanied by an older person. I hung around with a musician for a few years, he was a JW and a smoking buddy. I understand the religion, it just wasn't for me, and he didn't push it when he saw I wasn't interested.
    They really are decent people, just following their tenets, and when they show up at my door, I thank them for their concern, tell them it's not for me, and they walk away.
    No animosity because it isn't needed. Good luck to them.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh, they drag their precious fucklings around with them out here...maybe it's to fend off people like me who don't much cotton to people knocking on their doors at 7AM on a Saturday morning pushing their whackjob nutter religion and their whackjob nutter magazine on someone who was just about to give the ol' lady a nudge and engage her in a rousing game of "Where Can We Stick This Thing This Morning?"

I haven't had one knock on my door in over a decade, though. They probably remember the welcoming they got. :D

18. In Your Corner

Can I watch while I fondle myself?
    On second thought, not a good idea. Once Sarah got a gander of this anaconda I was blessed with, she would never be satisfied with (insert her pet name for your penis here).
    I just couldn't do that to you, man.:D

19. behindthetimes

behindthetimes Active Member

I was in Denver visiting my dad when a couple of Mormons knocked on the door.My dad is 83,but sharp as a tack.He had read the Book of M.and knew all about it.THey claimed the "proof" was in the text,my Dad disagreed.He cut them to shreds with logical arguement and quotes from their own book.The older one wasn't too fazed,but the younger one's Faith was visibly challenged.He got all wide-eyed and red in the face,the older one dragged him off.You all come back now!:rolleyes:

20. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I think the display was put up to get people in an uproar. As a believer though it doesn't bother me if it was or wasn't put up to get a an uproar.

Regardless the artist got what they wanted imo. Attention.

Seems like in today's society people are looking to create chaos and others are looking to be offended.Both get their way lol .