mice...

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Nov 11, 2011.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What do you bait them with? I wasn't quite quick enough with the shovel today in my detached work shop. Picked up some glue traps and a couple traditional traps.:beer:

2. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

mine liked peanut butter

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Peanut butter

Slim Jims

Gummy Bears

Switch it up every few days.

4. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Cats and snakes work well.... :up:

5. omatter34

I've always heard peanut butter, but have no real life experience.

6. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

sticky traps suck... DECON works good... as does the good ole mouse trap with peanut butter on it be sure not to put to much on though LOL... I always put it as far back on the trip as possible that way it cant take the bait with out getting away ...

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Glueboards and peanut butter.

8. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Peanut butter and a traditional trap for sure, but it's much more fun to get some of those 22LR rat shot rounds and a 12 pack. After a whole you won't even care if you hit the little rat (or mouse) bastards or not.

9. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Go homemade with the trap. Way more fun.

5 gallon bucket
    wood dowel or something similar
    empty toilet paper roll
    Peanut butter
    water
    piece of wood or something else to make a ramp

Put 8 - 10 inches of water in the bucket
    Put empty toilet paper roll over dowel
    Put dowel and roll centered over bucket
    slather the roll with peanut butter
    use stiff cardboard or a piece of wood to make a ramp to the top of the bucket

They will jump off the ramp to the roll covered in peanut butter. It will spin on the dowel and dump them into the water. It's fun to watch and much easier to cleanup than traditional traps. Glue traps are just fucked up man. Poison your always risking a pet or a kid and cleaning up mouse mummies sucks.

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Gluboards are cruel. Stick with the neck breakers.

Edit: drowning them is ultra cruel. WTF is wrong with you man?

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's not that cruel. How long do you think they can paddle before they're exhausted and can't tread water any longer. A few minutes at the most. Cruel would be tossing them a little life raft that has a hole in it.

12. V2Neal

V2Neal Well-Known Member

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

^ This. Jebus, man... WTF? Just kill the damn things quickly. No need to make it suffer. That's fucked up.

I have a few of the re-usable plastic neck breakers, my house is 100 years old and I always get a couple in the basement every year. A little dollop of peanut butter in the bait tray never fails.

A little tip - don't put too much PB in there, or you'll train them to just eat off the edges and they wont trip the mechanism. Seriously.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

oh, sure. enticing 'em with a protein rich meal and then clubbin' 'em with the scale version of a rampdoor spring on steroids swingin' a driveshaft...yeah, that's how i wanna go.
    :D

get a cat. so, maybe once, the cat'll be battin' it around the front door sill and you'll investigate the disturbance only to find a mouse jumpin' into your house. it's great entertainment, tho'...you chasin' the mouse, the cat chasin' the mouse...:crackup:

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Cats shit and piss in the house. No dice.

However, at my workplace we have adopted a feral cat that keeps hanging around because we fed it. A guy even made a cat house complete with heated flooring (heating unit from something I can't recall) a windbreak, and seperate food area. Hope he makes it through the winter.

16. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Real fun to watch your cat play with a mouse....... Until it tries to bring a headless little bastard in your house.

17. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Glue traps arent cruel.

They get stuck...... no pain there. Then i put them in a paper bag and whop them with a mallet or something. Instant dead. No pain, and no maiming. :D

18. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

glueboards or snap traps. Remember, rodents use the wall to guide them, so make sure whatever trap you use is flush against a wall, and right in their path.

We have pack rats out here, and one of my customers who has bait boxes with us, has such a bad problem with them, that he uses a little have a heart trap and is quite successful with it. He used to drive them out in the boonies and let them go, but after doing that a few times a week, he got lazy and now just sets the trap with rodent inside, on the top step of his pool and waits about 3 minutes. I was there one time when he was getting ready to dispose of one. Quite cool, but kinda creepy to watch. He said he waits 5-7 minutes with the bigger ones.

19. omatter34

Heading home from dinner. Going to set some traps and hope to get some activity over night. Will report back in the morning with my findings.

20. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I just turn the trap over and stomp on it. A good pair of Redwings work well.