1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a Race Van

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2011.

1. pinnEd999

pinnEd999 dale' gas!

Will do. I picked it all up at Home Depot, garage orginization area. I'll post some better pics in a bit.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Toataly Pimp!!!! Awesome work.. Makes me want to buy a Van now...

3. pinnEd999

pinnEd999 dale' gas!

Hey Ryoung, does that bench seat you have in yours fold back to double as a bed?

4. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Looks like the stock seat, so I doubt it.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Seat is stock, I'm half-assed looking for a better one. I'm also working on some storage ideas for the sides. Going to a trackday this weekend as a trial run to see what needs to be done to make it more user friendly in the real world.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Race Van did pretty good for it's maiden voyage. Drove about 700 miles round trip down to Hallett, OK for a track day. The trip down and time at the track was great. Had some wobble/shimmy at speed but it went away as the miles piled up. I attribute it to the tires sitting for who knows how long before I bought the van. The convienience of having a warm, dry, quiet place to sleep can't be beat.

We had two bikes, gear, tools, etc piled in the van with gas and spare tires on a hitch-mounted rack on the back. It is very clear to me that I'm going to have to install some helper springs because we were way overloaded. It was windy and stormy for the entire drive home and it completely sucked! The van would drift from lane to lane, sometimes with virtually zero response to steering input. I'm ordering some helper springs before the next trip.

http://www.truckspring.com/products...avy-Duty-Helper-Spring-Kit__HW2510-25300.aspx

Also planning on installing various mounting points to secure gear and make loading/unloading easier.

7. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

^ Looking great! Nice set up!

8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I would have thought that the E350 would have been able to handle the weight better than that. It's a One Ton capacity, hmm......

9. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

How much foam did you put in that thing?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on how much was in the very back and what was on the hitch carrier, vans are floaty on a good day too so it could just be normal :D

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I mounted that PBTRS all the way back, so the was a good amount of weight (a GSX-R750) pretty much all behind the rear axle. I may move it forward too and just put my tools/gear behind it instead of in the front.

Tonyp425 likes this.
  12. stickboy274

Lower the van and put 22"'s on it.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd get the stuff off the hitch and in the van. Tools will probably weight more than the last foot or two of the bike will anyway.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It was only fuel and two spare wheels. I don't want to keep gas inside the passenger compartment if I don't have to.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. Might just be time to check ball joints and the like then, that really shouldn't have overloaded a 350.

16. stickboy274

Fuel inside the van is bad...mmmmkay?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did it for years and didn't suffer any ill effects!

Oh wait....

18. stickboy274

Do we need any more proof?

19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Weight distribution

Have Sean or Huey ride up front to balance the weight :D

20. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

:crackup: