AT 2011 Thru Hike

Discussion in 'General' started by NCcummins, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Don't know if chris will see this...Saw the post on ticks and wanted to tell you that when my dad( a doctor) and I did several sections, we put simple sulfur powder in a baggie and dusted our socks, boots, beltline and sleeves lightly and never got one tick AND it runs all the chiggers off!

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Just caught up on all of his log updates today. The 21 mile day last week sounded brutal.

3. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes and to everyone who is keeping up with my journal. I'm at Roan Mtn. TN which is not too far from Damascus, VA. It has taken me longer to get here then most but I had some unexpected problems occur. The trail is absolutely amazing that's for sure. I don't get a lot of chances to post pictures on my journal site but for those of you who are facebook users just look me up (Chris Nadeau from Asheville, NC) and there are a ton of pictures on there. The warm weather is very much welcomed and having my trail legs under me now feels great. Every day is a new adventure. Thanks again for all the support. For those of you who didn't see it, you can follow me here: www.trailjournals.com/nadeau

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Sounds like some interesting folks on the trail. Glad the problems were not major.

5. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Bump.... for those keeping track.

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

See Chris hasn't posted anything since May 30th. Anyone know why?

7. SpeedyTide

Can be a # of things....

Saving battery life.... no signal....

I've been keeping up with it from the beginning, and he usually goes several days in between updates. Seems he waits 'til he's somewhere with power to do it all at once, as to not use up his battery.

8. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Hey guys thanks for keeping up! I'm currently off the trail at the 815 mile mark which is right outside Waynesboro, VA. I was getting depressed on the trail and needed to take some time off at least for a week or so. I'm home until the 17th. Thank you for keeping up with me! I'll be updating my journal soon!

9. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Where? Need a ride anywhere? I am in Afton, which is the other side of the MT from Waynesboro. Want to see Charlottesville? Anything I can do to help,just let me know.

10. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Thanks man! I've been home for a week now. It just took me a while to get online and let everyone know I ended my hike. If I do get back on within the next couple weeks I'll definitely give you a call. Thanks again, the support is an awesome thing to have. This forum has given me more support than anything else!

-Chris

11. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I'm currently off the trail for now. I decided to end my hike at the 815 mile mark. It was an awesome hike. I'll be spending the rest of my summer in Maine. You can read about the start, middle, and end of my hike here:

www.trailjournals.com/nadeau

Thanks to everyone who supported me along the way.

12. SpeedyTide

Well Blue (Chris) :D, thank you for letting those of us, who followed your journal, to hike with you. Because that's what it felt like for me anyways! :cool:

Sounds like you made the right decision. Common sense is to get off the trail if your head isn't in it (so to speak).

Best of luck to you ongoing! :up:

13. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Thanks man! It was awesome having everyone follow me!:beer:

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Details Chris, why did you decide to end it? Thanks for sharing your adventure. Had fun keeping up with your trip. Have a good time in Maine!

15. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

There are too many reasons to list honestly. I listed most of them in my journal. The main reason I ended it is to make sure I don't ruin my love for hiking by making myself stay on the trail, I was feeling depressed, and no long was having fun. After at least 200 miles it becomes an everyday grind. I had a blast, I don't regret any of it. It just wasn't time for me to do a complete thru hike. Long distance hiking is a strange thing. It's about the journey, not the destination. I had a great journey. I didn't accomplish my goal; this time! I did take away many memories and an awesome adventure. Thanks for following me!

16. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

My brother made this slide show of my 815 mile hike along the AT from Springer Mtn to The Dutch Haus earlier this year. Many of you on this forum followed me an I thank you for doing so. The support was great to have! He can mail anyone a hard copy DVD of this slide show. If you would like one, just send me a PM. Thanks again for all the support and enjoy the slide show!

http://www.vimeo.com/27174899

17. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Hi Chris. I read your trail blog and enjoyed it. I meant to tell you that you should post the answers to the two riddles on here as a key to your blog.

Did you read about the 28 year old chick who just set the record with a 46-day thru-hike? She averaged 46 miles a day!!! She is bad ass!!!

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20110731/NEWS/110739980

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Chris, I'm watching this video in my cubicle while I eat lunch and wondering how I got here. Thanks for letting us have a glimpse into your adventure. I'm in awe. :bow:

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Great video! I've had it playing in the shop for the last hour or so. Like the music selections.

20. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

That's crazy. I hiked 18 miles one day, and that was enough for me. I don't see how anyone could average 46 miles a day.