Mini Racing as Cross Training

Discussion in 'General' started by got40, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Hahahaha. I take my modded CRF50 to the MX tracks sometimes and bash bars with all the 6 yr olds. Little bastards are ruthless.

2. ThrottleAbuse

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Im looking too. Chinese pit bikes are selling for around $700 new here in Calgary.

4. ThrottleAbuse

Don't do it. They are pretty much piles. There are a few decent ones, but with the economy in the crapper you can find great deals on used stuff that people are dumping. Check out planetmini's

5. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

craigslist has tons of hondas on the cheap. people have 100's just sitting around. Ive seen some go for 800 around here

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Whats a good 17" wheel setup for an xr100. I have 16's w/ scooter tires because it was cheap & easy but I need to upgrade. I also plan to fix the headstock angle.

7. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

We did mini motards for years before we discovered the simple joys of a stock NSR50. Absolutely no horsepower, but a great chassis and decent suspension (if you get the right springs) right out of the box. We've learned so much about cornering on these little things. They seem to be going for $1500-$2000 in decent shape, and require pretty much zero mods or maintenance. You can hop them up, but that's sort of missing the point.
    [​IMG]

8. :crackup:

9. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

10. hrc_nick_11

11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

+1

Stay away from the China shit, it is complete junk. The metalurgy is a total joke, nearly EVERY thread was stripped on a brand new one I bought years ago for example. There are always a few new guys or experienced guys in my club that should know better that come out with Chinese minis every year and they constantly have problems with them. I honestly can't think of a guy in the mini club I race with that has run one for more than a single season without going back to Kaw or Honda. I barely made it through a season of racing and I was constantly fixing shit, and not shit that normally goes wrong. Buy a Kaw or a Honda.

Planetminis is okay, but prepare to wade through 9 million threads about 'sick' graphics, where to buy pink and black plastics, what's the best and loudest pipe, etc. The average age over there is around 13, I think. It gets tiresome quick. There is a small group of really knowledgeble mini addicts over there though. Just gotta find 'em.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  12. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Pitster Pro is China but VERY well built. They are based out of Utah and I have been racing their bikes for years. I ran an LXR last year in Supermoto and MX. Never broke a part, never broke down... solid bike. Never had any issues with the other 3 Pitsters I have raced.

13. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

I have an SSR and it has been thru around 30hrs of dirt use and now its first track day... it held up great so far.

14. ThrottleAbuse

As far as knowledge ya planetmini's is hit and miss. Classified section there good place to find stuff.

I have heard good things about the Pisters. I almost bought one myself at one point. SSR has a pretty good rep too, but for that money you can get or piece together a really nice honda or kawi nowadays.

15. wingnutks

You can get a klx110 based SSR with a 150cc motor, 4 up tranny, fully adjustable upside down forks, fully adjustable shock, motard wheels with big hydrolic disk brakes, and alloy frame for $1300-$1500 brand new. Hard to do all that to honda/kawi for that kinda money.
    I should be buying another soon. If I go 4stroke it will probably be a SSR motard... if I go 2 stroke it will be a kx65:D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  16. ThrottleAbuse

You should have seen the expression on this kids face when I look right at him as we got on the track and go "You're going down!" Ahahaha. It was hilarious. I had to stop him and say I was kidding. Little sob was quick on that bone stock klx110 he was riding. We mashed out some serious laps after that.

17. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

I just picked up this mini for some training and to have more track time during the season. Lucky for me, the mini moto race org doesn't conflict with the big bikes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://youtu.be/GczGO8j4lLM

But make no mistake, they will bite if you don't respect them

http://youtu.be/bWVj7j-mmJo

18. hrc_nick_11

Some body moved your fenders.

19. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I've been riding my crf150r every winter for the past 3 years. It has helped my riding more than anything especially since some of the guys I ride with are fast mofo's on a roadrace bike

Teaches you the limits of a bike and how to really push

20. wingnutks

What kinda stuff do you ride with it?