1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Organization Ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by fonz82, Mar 13, 2010.

1. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Oh hells yeah! I never saw all the wall mount stuff, I've only ever seen the cabinets. Looks good, sturdy, and cheap. Now I can spend the winter designing a layout!

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

3. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

No pics of the inside, but I just bought a basic 16' toy hauler used for $6K. I know a lot of people are on a budget, but for me at least, time is also at a premium. I could probably spend less and build a trailer out myself, but I just don't have the time (or space) to build something like that. I still occasionally search CL and find some good deals on used toy haulers.

I pull mine with a Toyota Tacoma w/ the 4.0 6 Cyl. engine w/ tow package. It's not the easiest tow, but it gets up and over the mountains and to the final destination without any problems consistently. GVWR for the truck is 6500 and the trailer is 3600 dry, so with a bike or two, liquids, and gear, it gets up there.

I'd upgrade to a full size truck, but I really enjoy having a little smaller vehicle around town for the everyday use.

It is a West Coast Trailer brand "Charger" model. SOmething like this: http://camping-trailers.com/charger-16.htm but without the stove/microwave unit. It has two burners on the counter-top and I'm putting a microwave in this week before the first round out at Fontana.

4. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

What kind of MPG are you getting pulling th trailer?

5. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

Subscribed.

I would like to buy a trailer when I quit buying so much other stuff and have some money, but I have a few questions that you guys may be able to help out with.

#1 - Anyone put up a cabinet or tire rack on a trailer wall and have one pull out of the mounting screws and fall down?

#2 - Anyone have an all aluminum box trailer, to inlcude an aluminum frame, and your thoughts on justifying the extra money for an aluminum frame to save your tow vehicle some strain, as well as gas money? Rust prevention is also a thought up here in PA for me.

#3 - Anyone have a trailer and buy and install aluminum cabinets yourself from a place like this business in CA? Did the cabinets install fairly easily? http://www.rbcomponents.com/cabinets/spec-alloy-cabinets

Thanks in advance.:D

6. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

I had a tire rack pull out of the wall. We reinstalled it with much heavier duty bolts and its been fine. Don't use the std size mounting bolts.

I bought an all Aluminum trailer. Its around 500 lbs lighter and when I originally got it I had a marginal tow vehicle so that was the rationalization. I've never regretted it, but they are much more expensive. My view is that the overall trailer is generally much higher quality, and that part of the expense is that, not just the Al frame.

Can't speak to the last one. I had cabinets put in from the factory when I ordered the trailer, and that was much cheaper than any alternative (around $800). To put in after the fact is more.

7. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

I think it's somewhere around 12mpg. Obviously down considerably from w/o a trailer for this truck, but I just figure if I owned a full-size truck, it'd still be my daily driver and then I'd get bad mileage when not pulling a trailer.

It works for me.

8. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I love the enclosed trailers, but I am looking at a 6x10 utility right now. Wood flooring instead of the metal grating, and regular sized tires. One of these days I may upgrade to another enclosed, but not right now...

9. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

I had rb components install some cabinets in the front of my trailer. Installation would be a breeze to do yourself if you are installing on square walls. The front of my trailer is sloped (imagine a v-nose on its side). The back of the cabinets have to be trimmed to match the wall angle. Otherwise, you'd waste too much space. If you have any specific questions regarding mounting, ask and I'll go take pictures. FWIW, I had to fabricate and install better mounts. Installers seem to gravitate to self tappers and with the thin wall tubes of my trailer, some stripped out. I have pics of my rig on one of the beginning pages of this thread if pics would help - E

10. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Toggle bolts or molly bolts is the only way I'd hang cabinets mounted to trailer ribs.

11. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

12. brown1000

brown1000 Member

Can you, or somebody that knows tell were I can buy those soft baskets in these pics? Thanks!

13. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

sears or lowes, they are from gladiators

14. brown1000

brown1000 Member

Thxs! Just walked into Lowes and i see them....

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Hey where did you get your breaker box and what brand/model is it?

16. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Combo safe bolted to floor

17. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

Those that are looking for E-track. I wish that I had gone to the narrow version instead of the standard. Basically instead of being 5" wide it is about half the width, no major difference in cost. I have a 6 x 12 V nose Haulmark with three rows of standard Etrack on the floors, two 4' sections mounted 12" up on each side in the back and two short sections 12" off the floor in the V. I also have the Gladiator rail on each side up top.

I have a Queen size double height Aero bed that fits perfectly in the back. I put a piece of indoor outdoor carpet on the floor before inflating the bed. Been perfect for three years. I have a 9000btu roof mounted AC unit with heat that struggles in the day time in the summer to cool but works great at night.

The trailer needs to be insulated on the sides, anyone tried "foam fill"? I was thinking about drilling two holes in each panel and filling each cavity....wondering if it would bulge the panelling out?

18. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

20. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

That looks nice !