Bike lifts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I like the looks of these two: http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-air-motorcycle-lift-94813.html

http://www.directlift.com/ProCycle-Motorcycle-Lift-P57C15.aspx

Yes, I know one is from Harbor Frieght.... not everything there is complete crap.... although most is. This piece got good reviews at some other sites. It seems very similar to the Direct Lift unit, and I have seen the Direct lift model in action and it is perfect for my use.

Couple questions - is anyone here using one of these with a front stand? I like the ease of just rolling the bike onto the stand and clamping it down, but it certainly makes it a pain in the ass to do any work on the front end or front wheel. I think I'd rather just unbolt it all and use my stand. Is that really necessary, though? Am I missing an easy way to keep the clamp in place and use a front stand when desired?

-- Is anyone one the beeb seling these, or something that's comparable operation and price-wise?

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If I had an enormous garage so I wouldn't have a tripping hazard I'd definitely get one of those HF deals but I dont so I made my own collapsible table top which works great imho.

3. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

Turn the bike around and clamp the rear when you work on the front, atleast that's what I do. Some bike stands don't have enough length to be able to use both the rear and front stands. The wheels may be fine but the ends of the stands hang off the lift. Not the best set up IMO.

4. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

I have used both front and rear stands on my HF lift. I have the (cheaper) parallelogram version of the lift, not the scissor-lift version you linked to. The wheel vise on the low-buck lift is junk, I just took it off completely. The stands do hang off the ends of the lift so you need to watch out for that.

Whenever I have a bike on the lift, stands or not, I always tie it down, because I am paranoid. I also don't leave the lift raised when I am not actively working on the bike. My garage is multi-purpose, don't want to have a bike come crashing down on the kids...

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Find out who Powerstands ripped off the design of their bike table from and buy one from them. I'm fairly certain it's not their design (hardly anything they sell is), but the PSR tables are pretty sturdy and fold up when not in use. Perfect for bringing to the track or the occasional use in a home garage.

http://www.powerstands.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=43&Product_ID=22&CATID=5

Again, I'm not advocating purchasing a PSR product.

And in the off chance that it is an original design, I wouldn't get one on principal alone no matter how good it was. I refuse to support PSR.

6. mattg

mattg Well-Known Member

7. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

LIFTS

I just turn my bike around and back it in. Sometimes getting the rear wheel up the ramp is a little tough, but after that, its cake.:up: Here's a fwe pics.:up:

Attached Files:

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

IDK... that powerstand table folds up nicely but it weighs alot.
    But they will rut from using stands on them and youll need a ramp. Pretty disappointing.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

A team I was working with had them in the trailer and I used them for a weekend. I didn't move them, so maybe that's why I didn't notice the weight. Loading and unloading the bike with a ramp seemed easy enough. Again, I don't use them regularly, so I can't comment on the long term. But they worked nice for a weekend.

10. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

I wish we had some US companies importing or making some of these... (UK, Aust) Weld Tec made a nice one too.

Attached Files:

11. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

weld tec version...
    Don't believe any of the ones I posted are available stateside.

Attached Files:

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I bought a Handy lift 20 years ago....not one single problem with it. It is pnuematic actuated with a wheel vise and detachable ramp. It is heavy (which I think is good) and probably expensive but you get what you pay for.....or so I've been told.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

ive got the one thats the first link you posted. I took the clamp off and use the front and rear stands together all the time. Yea, the handle of the stand hangs off the lift, but ive been using it like this for over 2 years and have yet to have a bike fall off. They work great. :up:

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I love my Handy Lift! Bought it a dozen years ago and wondered why I had worked on the shop floor all those years.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah gotta agree, a lift is the best 900 bucks I've spent on tools/equipment ever.

16. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I've been toying with the idea of grabbing one of them cheap Harbor Freight lifts for some time now. With the 20% off coupons in the back of most bike mags, you can knock a very nice chunk off the price.

But wait for PCP to chime in here. His bike recently took a tumble when his buddy's HF lift suddenly and without apparent reason lost hydraulics and collapsed.

Not sure of the full damage tally other than a badly dented tank.

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Thanks guys.

I built a bike table for myself years ago and it works great, but I would really like to get something that I can raise or lower as needed. It's also a pain to get at things up high (like controls) and the need for a long ramp to get the bike on the stand is the biggest issue at this point. My shop is 24x30, but it's getting so cramped that if I want to have 2 stands in there (one for maintenance or day jobs, and another for long term restos that aren't easily moved on and off with a ramp) I have to orient them for ramp use in a way I really dont like.

Is anyone making one that operates like the HF/ Pro Cycle unit but doesn't have a diamond plate top? The Handy unit just isn't anywhere near the budget I have for a lift.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member