Titan or Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I drove both today, supercabs. I would love a crew cab but quite a bit more. Titan is cheaper and seems to handle better. Tundra has more interior room and I can get the smaller V8 for better gas mileage. For my needs towing capacity for both is more than enough. I'm stepping up from a 2008 Frontier NISMO V6. Opinions?

Haven't driven the Dodge yet but going there tomorrow. The Fords cost too much and their motors are lame. I rather drive an Edsel than buy a GM product....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. cjimenRR

cjimenRR Well-Known Member

Here's my biased opinion cause I work for them; get the tundra. Just so you know the 5.7 engine gets better gas mileage than the 4.7 cause of the 6 speeds trans. It's got awesome towing power and we really don't have any issues with them. All I ever see them coming in for is regular service and nowhere near as many service bulletins as the other models in out lineup

3. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

Wife and kid go racing with me now.. 4 doors are waaay better. I have a 2007 Ram1500 with a 5.7 hemi.. pulls my toyhauler good enough and I love it. Get 16mpg in town.. 8mpg pulling.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

thanks for the tip about the MPG.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Tundra has better resale and better warranty.

FWIW... I have the Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1500 and love it. Sure the gas mileage sucks but it's a 3/4 ton gas, what should one suspect.

I sleep in the back at races and my family loves the interior room. We leave the wife's Pacifica at home and now take truck everywhere.

6. 178SV

178SV now retired...

2010 has all new 4.6 V8 with 6 speed. 310HP 327 ftlbs torque. I just traded my 07 5.7 in for one. Not as much power, but definitely good enough. Much quieter than the 07 as well.

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I have an '08 Tundra that I've used to pull an 9000 lbs (loaded) trailer all over the northeast and through the hills of Interstate 81 down to VIR for racing and trackdays over the past couple of years - it's been stone axe reliable.

Great trucks :up:

8. slacco

slacco Well-Known Member

I have an 08 5.7L Tundra Double Cab and love it! The 5.7 has a ton of power when the truck is unloaded. As with any gasser, I do think it suffers a bit while towing. Not that it's not sufficient but it doesn't have the torque of a diesel. I have a kid so I love the double cab and love the direction that the rear doors open. I don't understand why the other manufacturers have the rear door open opposite of the fronts (it confines you in a space between the doors and if you're not careful you'll bang your doors off someone elses car). My biggest beef with the Tundra is that the sheet metal is thin, very thin. You can ding it with the slightest bump. To see what I mean, take your hand and push in on the roof of one in the lot. I would still recommend the truck though. Mine gets 15-17 MPG with all kinds of driving while hauling a cap, aluminum ladder rack, and tools. If you drive only highway you can get to 18 MPG without completely babying it.

9. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

Had an 04' Titan for almost 5 years and 125K miles...Nearly perfect truck. No complaints. My business partner still has his...Over 140K miles. NO issues.

Needed another truck and bought an 08' DC Tundra with the 5.7 (X-SP Model - Pretty sharp with the 20" wheels, etc.). I wanted something different...If not for that, I would have bought another Titan.

LOVE the Tundra so far too. Gets a BIT better mileage than the Titan. MORE power, I think a bitter better looking. Ride is not quite as good IMO as the Titan. The DC has quite a bit of room...Had the CREW in the Titan and I do not miss it much...I have two small kids and they fit great in their booster seats in the DC Tundra...

I say get either...You can't go wrong!!

Oh, I would say the Tundra will have better resale...

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've had 2 Titan's and loved them both. I hit black ice in the first one on my way to Indy. The truck went down the snowy embankment and hit the tree line at 70mph. My passenger and myself escaped without a scratch. The truck wasn't so lucky, but insurance wrote me a big check and I went out and bought another. Tough SOB's, t[​IMG]hese Titan's. They may not be the best in one category or another, but I'll probably always own one.

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Tundra :up:

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I am confused (not that there is anything new about that). I thought 1500 meant 1/2 ton, and 2500 meant 3/4?

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dodge: -vb to avoid.

Get the Tundra.

14. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

We've got a Titan company truck that I drive, 2008, about 40k on it and it's a POS, more recalls, gas guage was messed up, truck would die at 1/4 tank, A/C jammed on high and the mileage is worse then my 3/4 F/250 diesel on the highway.

15. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

There is a reason the ford is expensive. And which engine sucks? The mod motors that are in the trucks from like 97 up are almost indestructible. If you keep them serviced the only thing that gets replaced every so often is the coil packs. The transmissions are decent and last I checked the ford gets better fuel mileage then the Nissan or Toyota ( and dodge).

16. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare these to GM(Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra)? I'm on the market as well and trying to compare these different trucks. I'm a car guy so any knowledge shared would be great. I'd even consider a Honda Ridgeline but they are expensive.

17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

It's hard to go wrong with a Toyota. Get the Tundra. :up:

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

lots of great information. keep it coming...

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sounds like the chain is too loose...

:D

20. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

dodge mega cab 1500 is actually built on the 2500 platform.

I bought a new F150 crew cab a few monthes ago and like it very much. I drove all but the Titan and I don't think the ford 5.4 is lame at all. Has a very smooth 6 speed tranny and the interior is extremely nice with tons of room for the family and I and pulls my enclosed 7x14 trailer without issues. If you want more power I pretty sure they're putting the new 6.2 in the F150's in 2011, which i think will have more power than all the rest. Didn't care for the GMs as much, but they do have the best warranties.