Ebay question....

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

What if you win an item on ebay, and the seller sends a request to cancel the transaction.

Reason: The seller says that he is selling the parts listed for a friend and he missed/forgot to put a reserve on the item that I won.

Don't ya think his friend would be watching and keeping up with his stuff and his money that he was getting from the sales of his items?
    Wouldn't 'his friend' not realize that there wasn't a reserve on this particular item?'

The seller had a week or so to realize that he had not put a reserve on it.
    He has 100% feedback and a couple hundred transactions.

I got the item for about half of what they're going for.

Do I say, too bad...and send the money, or say 'OK, take the item back and I'll gladly pay twice as much for the exact same thing elsewhere.'

I feel like maybe giving him the benefit of the doubt and agree with the cancellation of the transaction, but I also feel that dude is simply disappointed/pissed that he didn't get the amount of money that he was hoping for and is just making an excuse to cancel the sale.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Just go to Jersey and steal it.

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You won the auction, it's yours if you pay the winning price.

If you really feel bad about the situation, offer to send half the difference between the winning bid and the reserve he wanted, or something. But, I'd send whatever extra separately as a good-faith thing, so that one lump overpayment couldn't be turned against you in a dispute.

4. snailspace

snailspace Well-Known Member

You can report him to ebay. They will "try" to make him stick to the auction....at the least he will get black mark against his name.

5. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

I'd call BS as it sounds like seller's remorse. Would he like it if you won the auction, then wanted to cancel because you we bidding for your friend and forgot that your friend didn't have all the money and you want to pay only a portion of the winning bid? Your call, but I would press to get the item at the price you paid.

6. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Boo Hoo for him.
    Setting a reserve is as elementary an Ebay detail as they come.
    Send the payment via PayPal. If he does not deliver, file a claim with PayPal. It sounds like the ball is in your court. He is the one that can get the negative & there's nothing he can do about it.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Take the part and send him payment in Canadian dimes!

8. SimplyInsane

SimplyInsane Guest

Sounds like you won. Claim your prize. It is your right. If you feel bad let him off the hook, but don't feel you have to. I bet there isn't a friend.

9. Game

Game zip tie master

Let it go, your gonna loose ether way.

10. gapman789

That's what I'm afraid of.
    He could easily be uncooperative with completing the sale.

But, I went ahead and declined his offer to cancel the transaction early this morning.
    The case is now closed, meaning it should proceed as a normal transaction:
    -I send him the money, and he sends me the part.

Like I said, he has a couple hundred, 100% positive feedback transactions since '03.
    AND.....he's a MEMBER/RACER on here.....so maybe that will be enough for him to follow thru with the sale appropriately.

11. gapman789

According to his feedback profile, it seems he has renigged (sp?) on other transactions as well, whereas the buyers stated that he claimed the winning bids were too low....

I sent the money nonetheless.....

12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

+1 I have 200+ transactions on ebay and sometimes you forget to set a reserve and you sell stuff for next to nothing. YOU ALWAYS GO THROUGH WITH THE SALE. If not, your word means shit, and if your word means shit then you have no reason to be in the business of selling stuff.

13. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

i had this problem last week but i was on the other end. i started an auction for my stock bodywork and started the bidding at $1.00 and set the reserve at $550. a few hours after i listed it i realized that the shipping price was set at $4.95, which was "saved" from a previous auction and for whatever reason neglected to update to the $85 i wanted to ship it for. there were no bids yet so i decided to revise my listing and change the shipping price.
    a day later i saw that someone bid $1 and that the $1 was showing green. when i revised my item for some reason it deleted my reserve price. luckily someone didn't wait till the last 30 seconds to bid that $1 and i was able to end the auction early effectively cancelling his bid with 5 days still left on the auction.
    if he waited till the final moments to place his bid and won it for $1 i wouldn't of honored that. if you revise an item make sure you check all the info over again not just the part you revised. probably not what happened in your case but something to be aware of if you list an item and then revise it afterwords

:crackhead:

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The guy is trying to avoid the additional listing fees they charge for a reserve auction. F him if he's too big of a douche to fallow through, or too stupid to cancel the listing when it looked like it wouldn't bring the $$ he wanted.

15. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

ebay

I won a gas tank on eBay at a very low price, and I believe the seller was unhappy it went cheaply. He posted the shipping charges prior to close of the auction at $20. Then after the auction closed, and my low bid was the high bid, he informed me that shipping was incorrectly stated and would $40 and offered to retract the sale.

How are you going to win that one, so I allowed the retractions and promply posted negative feedback, which he reciprocated and I end up with my only negative review.

Final word, proceed with caution. Ebay themselves will be of little help, IF you get to talk to a real person at all.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

or a second scenario.

a second buyer offerd more money "because they forgot to bid" and he wnts that money insted of yours.

I have gotten that before as well (as a seller) but sold to the bidder at the lower price.

-----

I had a lady selling a MC suit that I won. got a great deal on it as the winning bidder. she said she was sorry and would refund my money cause her dog got into the room it was located and chewed a hole in it. (IMO she got a better offer) I sent money and told her to ship anyway, I did not care (or believe her) she did not ship and cancelled pmt. Ebay and paypal were no help

17. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Always ask yourself what the effort is worth to you. Think carefully when the better part of your answer is "on principle".

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why get all wound up about something as trivial as a stupid Ebay auction? I'd say "thanks anyways" and walk away.

Not like if you don't get that exact widget you're penis will turn plaid and fall off.

19. gapman789

Well, the seller refunded my money, after I declined his request to cancel the sale.

And I quote: " I have relisted the item and refunded your money. I would appreciate it if you would confirm the cancellation. I was out of town for a few days and truthfully I do not care if you believe me, shit happens."

Keep in mind, he has a couple of ebay feedbacks in the past (rather recently though)that say he tried/asked to retract the sale of the item due to the low winning bid.

I say bullshit. He should honor the sale.

Did I mention that he IS a current member here, and that he was logged on 2hrs. ago?

Should I throw a name out there? If he renigs on ebay sales, who's to say that he wouldn't make a bad deal on here?

20. vance

vance *

He's right.
    Shit does happen
    I once sold a frame on ebay for $13.
    That's part of it.
    If you're selling used parts on ebay, you're gonna win some and lose some as a seller.
    I would have sold it to you, but that just me.