1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopkins

Discussion in 'General' started by davetlr, Apr 4, 2009.

1. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I thought he had no expectations of setting the series on fire? Just hoped for some competitive results. Besides, his pace wasn't that bad compared to most of the field.

3. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

i hope nobody is surprised by this.

4. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

1st weekend on the honda ... damn u guys are tough

5. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Only .2 slower in s.p from the "factory" Honders. I'd say he's off to a promising start...

6. it's not like a superbike is different from a gp bike.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup:

8. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

In an interview he stated he and his team were confident he would be competing for race wins.

I am not at all surprised by his placement in the time charts. The SBK field seems to be a lot deeper than GP. Plus it looks like Ben has everyone coverd already.

9. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

Before some of you get too much of a big head you might want to consider how difficult the new qualifying is in world superbike.

Over on motogpmatters.com there is excellent coverage of the qualifying sessions.

This new superbike qualifying is catching a lot of folks out like Biaggi and Xaus who never even made it out of the first session.

10. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I think SBplanet should check their chart again. It looks out of order based on times. Glenn #62

11. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

I'd say he's doing damn good for his first outing on a superbike, hopefully he gets a hang of the bike and we have to Americans up front :beer:

12. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

didnt catch that , that alone bumps him up quite a few spots i believe

13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

14. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Hopper is doing fine for someone who hasn't ridden any bike in 4 months. He also never said he'd be winning races the 1st weekend out. He said he wanted to challenge for race wins this year. Give him time. I suspect he'll be up at the front, but I seriously doubt anyone is going to challenge Ben.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think you two should check out the qualifying times from Australia. You will be surprised to see that Ben's amazing pole position lap time was in fact "only" the second fastest. Laconi had the fastest qualifying time of the weekend and started 8th.

I posted an explanation of how the system works in the Phillip Island thread, if I remember correctly.

16. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

ok so the superpole times dont mean shit then ? they drawing strws now or what :(

17. amafan

amafan Banned

The new Superpole is not verry complicated you get 2 Q's to use in 3 Superpole sessions if your fast like Ben Spies you use a soft race tire in the first Superpole , but if your not you have to use a Q tire to advance to the next Superpole .Biaggi gambled ,and used a race tire in the first Superpole and lost, and Xaus has been off the pace all weekend ,and was lucky to make Superpole in the first place .

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

19. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

20. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

I think it'll take a few races for JH to get use to his new ride but I see him in the
    top ten this weekend and getting some podiums later in the season.I read yesterday
    in a speed report that his GP contract he had was for a reported 5 million a year.WOW!Anyhow
    I hope he does well on the Honda.It would be cool to see two Americans on the podium
    sometime this season.Ben is representing!