1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinner Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, Dec 16, 2008.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get a thinner (.45 mm) head gasket for my 06 gsxr 750? One place I've found quoted me 165+shipping, while another quoted me 90 something, but couldn't get one to me for three weeks. Just looking for options.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Vesrah maybe?

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Give Cometic a buzz, if they don't make it, they will make it for you.

4. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Hell yea dude!! Thanks for the info, I'm gonna order one first thing tomorrow!!:beer:

5. Rodney Vest #310

Rodney Vest #310 Well-Known Member

Get a stock one for $35 and take out the middle of it. It will work just fine. If not vesrah has them all day long or KWS. but they are around your price listed.

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about doing that, but I'm not really sure how its done nor how much the actual thickness will be reduced. How do you put the two pieces back together? Or are they just squished back together when the head is torqued down?

7. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

The dowel pins pretty much keep them in place.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

any idea how much the thickness actually reduces?

9. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

The middle leaf on all these gaskets has an oil jet hole. So if you remove it and don't fit a jet to the head you will have problems.

10. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

worst advice on here i have read. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! :tut:

IF you cant find one closer, we (EDR Performance) have several in stock. Vesrah and Cometic. I believe i have more than 750 engines in the shop, so should be able to sell ya one. Hit me up 503.222.RACE if you cant find one closer.

Good luck

11. Rodney Vest #310

I am sure this is the worst advice you have ever seen on here if you are going to sell him one for $150. If I had one for that price I would say that too. I am sure you have done several bikes I have seen a couple you have built. What is the problem with doing what I said for my own knowledge. I have done it before a few times with no problems and was told to do so by a very highly qualified engine builder at an AMA event at Barber this past year.:up:

12. ed who?

actually DB, it is! The middle layer has the oil restricter in it, so removing it changes the oil flow to the head DRASTICALLY! Second, i wasnt TRYING to sell him a head gasket, i OFFERED him one if he could not find. I dont normally sell them, i stock many of them cause i build over 40 engines a year and like to have them in stock! Third they are UNDER $80, NOT $150. Post up WHO this "highly qualified engine builder at AMA" is...I dont care if its House or someone of that caliper, if they said "oh yeah, you can, no problem" i have no problem saying they are WRONG!

Guess the 200+ GSXR engines ive built, the over 100 championships, WERA national wins, GNF wins, etc i would know at least a thing or two about the GSXR's head gaskets. So i got 120+ class championships, 3 National wins, 5 time #1 plate holding bikes, and won the Wera GSXR Cup GNF (1000 cup by 13 seconds one year!) Won (US) and competed in the World Suzuki GSXR cup, broke 4 track records, set land speed records and numerous other races in over 15 years, so if someone "like me" say's its bad advice, and if i was someone asking a question i might at least take it with a grain of salt, not to mention my entire tone was 'hey if you cant find one, let me know, i might be able to help ya out"

God, i hate yak offs that assume shit! :mad:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  13. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

I won a race with my pickup in traffic going to the office this morning. I also know that if you lose the oil restriction orifice it will cause an oil pressure drop which will increase friction...and wear...until...you will probably have a failure. :tut:

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

14. ed who?

thanks Rocky. just frustrating..i offer my opinion and have SEEN MANY heads/cams worn from backyard bob's building engines and removing the center layer (if not important why do Cometic, Vesrah, Yosh, etc ALL HAVE THE RESTRICTOR in theirs as well as oem???) then im not even in the biz to sell those things (in fact i prefer not to so i have them ready for me to use on our engine builds) and was just offering to try and help a guy out..then some yak off that probably builds his own engines in the living room with help off youtube and some duralube jumps my shit.....

15. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

How do you know you won? The rear view mirror in that truck has been missing forever. damn oil restricters! I hate being disciplined by them. DAmn them to hell!

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

nice resume! The yak off you quoted is a Gunnery Sgt in the USMC. He helps protect this country that you thrive in. So check the attitude when you log in, he posted what he was told and the next time you see him, buy him a beer.:beer:

17. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Hey Ed,

I'm just trying to make funny time. I can't win here on Tech so I quit trying. I'm a complete idiot and know nothing about anything mechanical. Now that that's over, I can smile and relax. I feel that if I have to convince someone that I am right by giving my credentials, well they have probably already decided that they are not going to listen to me anyway, and as usual, I look like a jackass. On a serious note, you are 100% correct. I don't really have any idea how your stuff runs, but in the pictures it all looks sooooo very clean! :D

Hey Charles, if you ever feel like truck racing you just bring your stromboli eating ass up here and we will mix it up Hazzard county style!

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for all the helpful advise guys. I ended up ordering one from Cometic this afternoon, turns out they're right in my back yard.

I always thought something was fishy about taking out a layer of the gasket, good to know people have my back. :beer:

19. Rodney Vest #310

Thanks for your rant on how great you are. I could not have gone to work today with out it. But there was no use for name calling. sometimes I wounder how old some of us are. If I am wrong I understad I do not know everything but I will not apoligize for telling him to take out the middle of a stock gasket. I do build my own engines with my Mec at our shop and will look a Youtube if needed but have not needed youtube so far. I have done this to 3 engines I have at this time with no problems. if so it must not be to bad. So this guy bought a gasket from some company and I wish him luck. I hope you have a great day.:up:

And a Congradulations to Guy who won the truck race on his way to work. I wish I could have seen it. That was funny.:beer:

Rodney Vest #310
    843-321-1018

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Hey Rocky and Chuck:

WTF do you guys know about it? I'm not using a head gasket at all this season.