1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 stroke 125 MX advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Nov 25, 2008.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

thinking about getting my 12 year old nephew a 2-stroke 125 mx bike for christmas. i've been out of the mx loop for a long time, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

looking at late 90's up to '03 or so. seeing a lot of them with recent rebuilds, etc for just over $1K around here in michigan.

bike will be used for mx practice days, as well as some trail riding.

are any models considerably better than others?

2. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

You really can't go wrong with the Cr125's, 2000 and up.

They are fast, reliable, and cheap to rebuild if they go boom.

3. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

2000 is when they went to the new frame?

did the motor change for 2000 as well?

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If its his first MX bike and your not looking to race a full season, I'd just look for something that looks in good shape and has a good price. They are all good bikes so its hard to go wrong. Stick with a Honda, they usually have parts available longer than the other OEM's.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The RM and YZ are considerably faster than the CR and KX from that time period, The KX really improved in 04/05 though while the CR remained a turd for the remainder of its existence. The KTM's were really fast but the chassis doesn't work quite as well as the japanese bikes.

6. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I had a 01 CR125. Great bike and reliable.

Then I went to a 250f. A lot easier to ride but more expensive.

I did hear the YZ125 had a better motor.

If you have $2000 to spend you may want to look into a 250F.

For 1-1.5K you can get a good 2 smoker.

7. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

'cant speak for the 125's reliability, but i bought a used '00 model cr250r a few years ago. it's been a great bike with no worries/problems......unless you count it trying to kill me every time i get on it as being a problem :up:

8. Heartsofoak441

Heartsofoak441 Zip Tie Alley

I think Maybe For Motocroos and trails A 125 2 Stroke might be a little too much bike for a 12 year old. Unless He Has been riding an 80/85 2 stroke and He has mastered it. I have a 125 and a 250 And the 250 isnt that much more Bike.

Just my .02 You cant go wrong with any of the big 4

9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

^^
    HOG WASH!! 12 years old = CR500R ready :)

The only thing if hes not used to it is the way the 125 does nothing no matter how hard you twist the throttle and then SNAP! He'll have to get used to it but if he's tall enough and mature enough I'd go for it.

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

thanks for the info guys. he's been riding a TTR 125 for the past two years. rode his buddy's CRF 150R as well as another guy's KX 85 at the track and did fine. while i'd rather get him a CRF 150R, price is an issue, not to mention he's growing fast and want to get him something to keep for a few solid years.....
    plus my brother-in-law and i kind of want him to learn how to ride a 2-smoker for sentimental reasons. can't wait till he starts to feel comfy on it and really squeezes it......:eek::eek::eek:
    my bro-in-law used to have dirt bikes in the mid-late 80's, and now has a CRF 450.

he is very big for his age. 5'7 135 lbs....6th grade.

had him riding our '77 CB750F this past fall....he beat me by a year. my dad didn't let me ride it until 7th grade.

he will not be racing....(yet) as he plays on one of the best soccer teams in the state, as well as a very competitive AAU basketball team. taking a few years away from football until high school. he was the starting corner back and full back for his football team last year. my sister won't let him race until he's older. by then, i'll have a proper RS 125 ready.... :)

i'm fine with the honda being a little down on power. it won't make a difference to him. i'd rather go with the honda, but i think i'd be fine with any of the japanese 4 as long as they've been regularly maintained.

11. Heartsofoak441

Heartsofoak441 Zip Tie Alley

He is gonna have a Blast on a 125:beer:

12. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

I've had 3 KX 125s. An '89, a '95, and a '96. I would recommend them to anyone. And I'm a honda man. Very trouble free bikes. They were beaten abused, and all I did was add gas and ride! 125s are great bikes, and as long as he isn't planning on racing it. He'll have a blast

13. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Yeah a 125 would do great for him and when he switches to 250F it will be very easy.

For the price, get a 125.

14. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

we have a two YZ125's, a 2000 and a 97.

Hasn't given us any problems. Great bikes

15. kmac

kmac Well-Known Member

Go with the 1999 or newer YZ, best power ban by far. You won't believe how user friendly that motor is.