1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever heard of Krytox?

Discussion in 'General' started by dasnd12, Mar 14, 2008.

1. dasnd12

dasnd12 Well-Known Member

I was watching modern marvels last night and they were talking about this stuff and how great it is....seems like it would make a great motor oil??? I might be totally off base though.

From Wikipedia:

Krytox is a trademark of a family of high performance synthetic lubricants (oils and greases) used in many things from spaceships to computer chip manufacturing. It is a chemical polymer belonging to the ether family that was patented by the chemical manufacturing giant DuPont. Krytox oils are a fluorocarbon polymers of polyhexafluoropropylene oxide, with a chemical formula

F − (CF(CF3) − CF2 − O)n − CF2CF3,
    where the degree of polymerization, n, generally lies within the range n=10-60.[1] This mixture of compounds are collectively known by many names, including perfluoropolyether (PFPE), perfluoroalkylether (PFAE), or perfluoropolyalkylether(PFPAE). A unique identifier is their CAS registry number, 60164-51-4.

In addition to PFPE, krytox grease also contains telomers of PTFE, and in many ways krytox is designed to be a liquid or grease form of PTFE. Krytox is thermally stable, nonflammable (even in liquid oxygen), nontoxic, and insoluble in water, acids, bases, and most organic solvents. It has very low vapor pressure and can be used between about -60 and +316 to +399 °C. It is highly resistant to ionizing radiation, making it useful for aerospace and nuclear industry. It can withstand extreme pressure and high mechanical stress.

2. hype3060

hype3060 Well-Known Member

3. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Isn't that the stuff that they used in that movie "Envy", with Jack Black, where it made dog poo disappear??? :D

4. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Treats objects like women

It's used by Ford Motor Company in the squeak and rattle kits to stop things from squeaking. Works awesome too. I have a few tubes of it. Pricey though, I bet it would cost a hundred or two dollars to fill an engine up with it.

5. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

That's not too much more than the last gallon of Repsol I bought :)

6. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

For two dollars, I'm in.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where does the poop go? :D