1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'08 Schedule, Real Vintage & Obsolete

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by El Skwid!, Oct 19, 2007.

1. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

My WERA 350GP bike fits best in the Hist prod, but AHRMA dis-allowed a friends entry, saying since he was a back marker on an ex, he wasnt eligible.

come on, we all now this would not happen so tell your friend to tell you the real reason. Im with buff I'll race with any one, All though I will drive a long distance for a big grid.:)

2. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Long story short,I like the schedule and points the way it is.

Now if you had influence on fuel prices..........

3. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

Q's vote

Hey guys, I like Gypsy's ideas, he seems to think his ideas through before he posts. Equalizing the schedule as much as possible, then giving everyone a drop event or two, i.e. best 6 or whatever, sounds good, with double points at the GNF. Isnt' that how it already is.

Also, thumbs up to TEX for suggesting a SUMMIT POINT CYCLE JAM yeah!!!! Every year we yanks lose cool races to you rebs. Back in the 90's we had Cycle Jam at Pocono, then the wining started, so it moved out to Putnam, then more wining or whatever, now it's in Atlanta, at the same race the GNF is. Please give us northerners a Cycle JAM!!!!!!

peace out-Q

4. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Sure you may want wera v to blossom and prosper with bigger grids and to have the evidence that it is economically viable for WERA. I sure hope so also. My honest opinion and educated guess after racing for 9 years and my point to begin with? There is nothing you or any other racing members can do about it. Racing is a commitment of time, money and willingness and who do you know that could be convinced to come to the track with a prepared bike beyond their own willingness to do so? And that same principle holds true for vintage racers in other organizations. The numbers don't lie and over the years it is a scarce few that bridge the gap- not even in the wake of American Classic Racing hero Dave Roper will they follow. (well... stu carter did a few times) So maybe the grids get better- maybe they don't but it is just a pipe dream to think class restructuring, marketing or fewer events will make any difference. BAd attitude? Nah. Jaded point of view? Maybe. Realistic observation of past facts? Absolutely. Now wouldn't our efforts be better spent dreaming about the winter project that will yield more HP without giving up reliability? Stop reading this and go get your program sorted for 08!

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Buff.....you hit the nail on the head!....I'm trying to figure out the bikes in both sanctioning bodies....so I can figure out my winter project!!:up:

Also that is what I was attempting to say about there are alot of Honda 350's, but less people that want to race them.....it is a commitment. Might not be as big as some, but still a commitment.

Tim, all I know is that Keith "Says" he was "Bumped Up" at pre-entry, because he entered an EX in BOT as well (same days). He got a call saying "we've bumped you to sportsman, hope you dont mind, other class is for novice"....so it wasnt like he got hit in tech, or protested.....its like they (AHRMA) were classifying the rider and not the bike.

I'd drive as well....planning on summit next year, and an outside shot at a trip west.....New Mexico race, bonneville, and miller....thats a long shot, but it may happen.

Actually, that trip is part of the reason I'm exploring AHRMA classes, and thus a project.....but I may not be able to afford the project....AND the trip...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only way we could get more AHRMA riders is to emulate AHRMA and run just a handful of events a year. Which would then alienate the people who want to run locally and not travel all over the country.

That's not what WERA is. WERA is regional club racing with occasional get togethers of riders from across the country.

7. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Which is why I only race WERA. I actually gave up racing CCS years ago after they pissed me off one time. WERA has been notihng but a great family to me. AHRMA also seems a little more "stuck up" with rules, regulations and classes. Keith being bumped up is a perfect example. Now lets get back to winter bike building.

8. charles

charles The Transporter

And WERA should stay that way...somewhere between the 'extremes' is a
    way to attract some AHRMA guys over once in a while, anyway...no one
    should jump through hoops, but for example, if you are running an eight lap
    V3 (any class will do) race, does it matter if you have five riders or ten riders
    on the grid- or more? It shouldn't. It increases the revenue for WERA, and
    it probably will provide better racing...just some thoughts here, how about
    one event that is 'earmarked' as a 'special' event for AHRMA participation?
    We used to have a 'joint' event at Roebling, but maybe that was too much
    aggravation, I just don't know...run something strictly by WERA rules and
    extend the invite...no good?

Buff, I thought you were America's Classic Racing Hero !!!

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We already take the AHRMA license twice a year, other than a Vintage only event I'm not sure what we can do. And the Vintage only event isn't financially viable as much fun as it was to do.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Sean....dont get me wrong here. Odviously what you have in place suits me well.

I will continue to run the 350 and 500 GP WERA classes in NF, SE, MC regions.....just instead of running all 12, I may run not as many, but run sunday as well on an EX, and substitute a few other races....like Summit.

The trip west would be good, but I'm probably dreaming.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not taking offense at any of this, not by a long shot. I'm just tossing out why some things we've tried didn't work and maybe someone will come up with a better idea.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Nothing should be done that is not financially viable...no stand-alone events, so perhaps WERA can lend an ear to some ideas that could add some luster and riders to the vintage scene we have now without making any sweeping changes...the prime concern is that vintage just doesn't fade away- that it remains healthy, with growth and financial viability...we may not attract the Manx's, G50's, 7R's, and MV's, but there is good racing with bikes that are affordable for those wanting to start up, and classes for everything...besides, we started the only intelligent, universal dialogue about...

PIE.:up:

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Go West Young Man! :up:

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Some ideas will be forthcoming by letter. Thanks for being
    receptive to new ideas,and thanks for the continued interest
    and commitment to Vintage.

Charles R.

15. racertex

racertex vintage dude

charlieY wrote, "Tim, all I know is that Keith "Says" he was "Bumped Up" at pre-entry, because he entered an EX in BOT as well (same days). He got a call saying "we've bumped you to sportsman, hope you dont mind, other class is for novice"....so it wasnt like he got hit in tech, or protested.....its like they (AHRMA) were classifying the rider and not the bike."

charlie, the ahrma rules state that the historic production classes are for "novice" riders only. a "novice" rider is not allowed to enter hist. proddy and a BOT race. if so, they would register the BOT race and cancel/bump-up the hist proddy into sportsman 350, 500, or 750 dependinding on the displacement of the hist proddy bike (lightweight to heavyweight).

i always thought it was a strange rule, but i guess it keeps fast guys like mr. joyce and mr. harsh from winning everything!

tex

16. 71Norton

71Norton Well-Known Member

What it did was put a slow guy in a class he was totaly underporwered for (350GP bike in a V1 equivallent class). But I showed them I didn't finish last.
    Then on Sunday I really got my own back by blowing the motor in lap four I just didn't finish.

But I had fun Barber is a great track.

17. racertex

racertex vintage dude

mongo,

all i know is that the uscra is actively looking for another track to add to their schedule for 2008 (which can be viewed at: www.race-uscra.com). 90% of their member ship is from boston, ma and north, so traveling to points below summit would probably be out of the question.

quentin makes an interesting point about pocono. why not talk to the management there about a vintage only event (old f-usa configuration or the "north" course)? market the EVENT to all racers. if ahrma members don't want to come.....well fuck 'em! same thing goes for any other member from any other org. (USCRA, VRRA, etc...)!

i think that this area of the country is prime for a big event. when bridgehampton closed years ago the ex-riders and their bikes just didn't fade away. they are still there and those bikes are just mothballed. let's see if we can figure away to bring them back out, bring dedicated roadracers from other clubs together, and have a great (and profitable) time at the track TOGETHER! lot's of americans live in this area of the country (PA, NY, CT, etc...) with very few options within a couple hour drive (2 to 3). Roadracers for the most part will travel 5-8 hours to race.....spectators won't!

whatever i can do.....just let me know!

tex

p.s.- feel free to discuss, and yes buff, i have started on the 2008 winter project.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We could barely afford Pocono with all of our classes. I can't see pulling it off with a Vintage only event sorry.

I'll rack my brain and see if I can come up with something viable but no promises.

19. racertex

racertex vintage dude

cool...thanks!

any word on what is happening with thunderbolt raceway in millville, nj?

is wera talking to them about future dates?

tex

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll talk to them when pavement is down. It's being cleared and graded last I heard.