1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something to keep my mind off of Suzuki Contingency

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffrop, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I built myself a "Huey Box" :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Looks good. :cool:

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

A drain in the garage floor. I wish homebuilders down here would think of such things.

4. jeffrop

Yeah..it's kinda cool when you wash your car in the garage (because it's friggin 4 degrees outside!)

5. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

i know where im goin when i need to work on the bike :beer:

6. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Awesome!

Please send the Zuma as payment for the plans.

Any issues? Anything I should modify w/ the de-structions?

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You send the lumber with the instructions it would help some of us out.

8. jeffrop

Circle Saw is the only way to go. Made things go pretty smooth and easy. Helps if you have a steady hand too.

You emphasized that the slots should be tight, I found a small amount of slop didn't hurt the structural integrity.

Due to the local Lowe's store saw, the sides/slats came out different heights. I measured everything and trimmed the "slats" about 3/16 inch to match the side height. Not a big deal but if you don't pay attention to it, your slats may be higher than your sides.

For the cuts in the slats: I found the center of each slat and marked a line. Then I measured out from this point to locate the cuts for the slots.

Your plans were pretty good, just some fine tuning stuff. Total build time(including trip to store) 2-1/2 hours. :cool:

One more thing, my carpentry skills are marginal at best. The most important thing is to measure everything and mark your sides/top/slats, then mark the panels "TOP" to help keep things straight.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  9. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I modified his instructions a little last year and made mine a little shorter and wider. Works great.

10. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

How long if you take the beer out of the carpenter's hand? :Poke:

Just kidding....looks good Jeff!!

11. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

how much did it cost you to build...i want to build one when i get into my new garage...someday :)

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I built one last year but I didn't use a wheel chock with mine. I have to tie the bike down with front and rear tie downs to keep it stable for some jobs. Maybe I'll add a wheel chock this year.

13. jeffrop

I had a :beer: after it was done...so no "beer delays" :D

I bought (2) 4x8 sheets of 23/32 high grade plywood (said it was good for 'structural' & 'exterior' applications) @ $28.00each plus a 1x2x8' furring strip @ $1.62. Build total: around $60.00

Important: If you put a wheel chock on the thing, MAKE SURE you have the furring strip underneath to hold the top panel from sliding off the end. :) Now that I think about it, think I'll put some longer screws in that little sucker when I get home! :eek:

Thanks for the positive comments all. It's just a big wood box. You can make one too! It's easy, truuuust me. :p

14. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

will it hold a Gold Wing?:D

15. BMWHP

BMWHP Good beer eh?

Hmmm, iff'n a guy cut a big round hole in the center section, maybe he could fit his wife in there for safe keeping while he's at the track;) :eek: :beer:

DW

16. Huey130

Mine's had a BMW R1100RT with me standing beside it putting it up on the center stand!

www.bbcracing.com/old/box

Whoooollllllle lotta people building em. Care to guess how many used the paypal link atthe bottom of the page? Hummm? Care to?

:p

17. jeffrop

Well if ya hadn't 'acquired' the plans from someone else, I might have overnighted some leftover chinese food to ya! :p

Hop Hing in Wooster is by far the best I've ever had! :up:

18. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Now, would it hurt it to open up at least one side to use for storage of things you don't use much? Like oil dpans and things that are nasty and you don't want to run into on a normal day.

19. Huey130

He only had the idea! I drew them plans in MS Paint of all things.

Stick I usually tear mine down and lean it against the wall when I'm not using it. A freaking big ass spider did store itself in there once. I really hate when I scream like a 7 year old girl.

20. jeffrop

Used my Huey Box last night to actually work on something. It is the bomb! :beer:

Soooo much easier than layin on that cold-ass cement floor tryin to look up inside the Zuma! :eek: ;)

Now if I only had an '04 GSXR to work on..:(