Be carefull if ordering from RACE TECH!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by dhaz, Mar 6, 2002.

1. dhaz

dhaz Active Member

Below is the ongoing email I have with Race Tech as to why their online system for choosing springs is flawed. For all the crap that went on with Max, at least he stands behind his work, and 99.99% of the time, sets you up properly the first time.

Thanks for your reply.
    I, as well as the others who chimed in on the web site discussions, would still like a reason as to why the web site differs from "your computer and records". Should I repond to them that the online system does not work, and to call or email for the proper information? Are steps going to be taken to fix the web site? Why did I have to email twice to recieve a response? So far, I am not impressed with the way things are being handled.
    Dave Hazen
    NESBA/ CCS/ FUSA

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:59 AM
    Subject: RE: Fork spring selection

Dave, my computer and records show to use a .90 as you suggested yourself.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 1:48 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Fw: Fork spring selection

I am forwarding this to you in an attempt to clarify the situation described below. I have not received a response from the "sales" email address below.

----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 10:36 PM
    Subject: Fork spring selection

Hi. My name is Dave. I am a CCS racer in the Mid Atlantic region. I run a 2001 GSXR 600.
    I recently ran through the online spring and valve selection process, and did not feel that the selections were appropriate.
    No matter what combination of rider skill/ spring preference/ etc. I put in, I received the same spring rate (.80), oil level, etc. My stock springs are at .78. I can not possibly see how a .80 spring would work, considering I put in Professional Road Racer preferring a stiff feel. Furthermore, all of my racing friends, other shop owners who sell RaceTech, and Max from Traxxion Dynamics, all recommend a .90 spring rate for my weight of 160lbs. with my gear. I even played around with the numbers for Rider weight and bike weight, and received the exact same settings each time.
    I don't know if there is a problem with the site, but would like to clarify this situation. I was going to order and do the work myself, but now am feeling very uncomfortable with RaceTech. For your information, I have spoke with others who have ordered online, mostly WERA racers, and they felt that the recommended was also to soft.
    Please contact me with your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Dave

------------------

[This message has been edited by dhaz (edited 03-06-2002).]

2. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Just my .02

You sound like you are whining like a little girl over a computer mistake, and if I was on the receiving end of your accusational emails, suggesting we don't know shit, I would politely ask you to take your business to someone who has a qualified website as opposed to a years of experience in the suspension business.

Mistakes happen, sounds to me you are just looking for someone to roll belly up for you and kiss your ass.

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, but this is how i am reading it.

Tex

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

You're from NESBA and said you wanted a "stiff feel" and that is what you are getting so bend back over keep quiet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. brad wi!son

brad wi!son Guest

RACE TECH SUCKS.

5. dhaz

dhaz Active Member

Tex, this is more than just a computer mistake, and I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I posted this to make others aware that if ordering from Race Tech by means of what the online program chooses for your set up, you may be disappointed with what you receive. I am in no way saying that they sell an inferior product, as I know many who are happy with the RT system. In fact, the reason I am making such an effort to solve the problem is because I want to try the RT system myself. I happen to know quite a bit about suspension, and is why alarms went off while working with RT online. Better to have a heads up, than to waste time and money and have a front end that doesn't work right. So to you, I say F@#$ off. To others, hopefully you took it in the right context, and see it as a warning. You can refer back to a previous post by me and see comments from other riders concerning soft Race Tech springs.

------------------

6. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Does anyone else see the contradiction in calling yourself a "professional roadracer" and relying on a micky-mouse web application to decide what kind of springs to put in your forks?

Dude, I can understand wanting to let folks (and racetech) know that there's a problem with thier program. But to get all bent outta shape by something as minor as this (you didn't even buy the wimpy springs did you?)is outta line.

BTW- Posting private email correspondence on a public forum is a Mondo party foul.

7. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Dude,
    You really need to be careful about what you say in a public forum. Things I have said that were completely innocent have been misconstrued here on the BBS and have caused me to rethink even complementing vendors here. You have to think that somewhere down the line, if you plan to go to the next level of racing (expert, pro etc), that most of the vendors lurk on this board and see you badmouthing a vendor. This will make it very difficult for you to gain sponsorship as you move thru the different levels of racing. They see you bashing Racetech and think, "well, he's bashing them. Why should I have to walk on eggshells for this schmoe that might someday bash me because he percieved I wasn't servicing him properly?"

Think before you type. Just my .02.

BTW, what kind of bike do you have? I may be able to tell you what you need so you can bypass the website and just order direct by phone.

8. superbike fan

superbike fan Member

Here's another thing to consider concerning Race Tech fork springs...I was told by a tech at 4&6 Racing that they use a spring rate tester to verify all fork springs, and out of the box MANY of Race Tech's quoted rates are way off, and very often inaccurate.

9. dhaz

dhaz Active Member

James#306- the "Profesional Road Racer" is a category you choose on the RT site in the process of selecting the equipment for your bike. I am not calling myself one.
    UGA Dawg- Thanks for the tip, but I am fully aware of the consequences. Again, I just wanted to warn people about the flaws in the RT site. I also know what springs I should have and run in my bike, and is why I am concerned. You have to run through the entire process to order online through RT.

10. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I'll give you your F#$k off comment, i may have been a little harsh. [​IMG]

BUT

You just validated my observation that you are whining over a computer error. You came to a public forum and bashed a vendor for their mistake, obviously looking for sympathy or an atta' boy. If the error was all you were concerned about you would have posted something like...

"I ran into some problems on the Race Tech site, double check numbers before ordering"

Not some rant about how you are a competent suspension guy who can do all his own work but has to bitch and moan about a website not giving him the right numbers, and verify what any competent suspension guy would know via other shops and traxxion.

Funny thing is, now any of these shops who know you, as well as Max, know you are the kind of guy who will leech information from them with absolutely no intention of a sale.

Now for some fun stuff

First post from email
    "I was going to order and do the work myself, but now am feeling very uncomfortable with RaceTech"

second post telling me to F-off

"I am in no way saying that they sell an inferior product, as I know many who are happy with the RT system. In fact, the reason I am making such an effort to solve the problem is because I want to try the RT system myself."

So which is it??? You told them you were weary of their product due to website errors.

Also, you went from just Dave in your signiture, to Dave Hazen-"CCS/Nesba/FUSA"...way to establish credibility in your ability to weed out the web errors via your extensive racing resume

I'll stop now, but you already dug a pretty good hole for yourself, if you want a pissing match you better start heavy on the fluids, cause right now you don't have much to work with.

TEx

11. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Game, set and Match goes to......

TEX

Dave, it's one thing to do what you are doing here but to tell Tex to F-off is unacceptable. You might get a better response from him if you call him a Butthole. [​IMG]

12. dhaz

dhaz Active Member

You are right UGA, Tex, I appologize for telling you to F-off, but what is up your butt? I am not looking for sympathy, an atta boy, or anything. All I wanted to do is warn others that there is a flaw with the RT site. Me posting my emails is not ranting, just explaining what I encountered. If I had posted your suggested comment, I would have a million questions. I do still want to try there system, but am still uncomfortable with them. Wouldn't you be leary of ordering something from a company when you get two different parts suggested for the same job? I also have had bikes with both RT work and TD work, and both have been fantastic, but both were done by shops. I wanted to do the work myself this time around, figured I would order the stuff online, and ran into the problems.
    Stop making this out to be more than it is!

13. Joss

Joss F3 Dabbler

This last response from Tex was mature, thoughtful, perceptive, well written and totally beyond the limits of acceptability for this board. If he is determined to continue in this manner there will certainly be serious consequences.

14. Joss

Joss F3 Dabbler

In seriousness, it might be good to reflect on the symbiotic relationship between the racers and the race support people. Neither survives without the other.

There is also a big difference between a vendor screw up that is acknowledged and corrected, and some predatory fly-by-night's that ought to be run out of town.

The test of a good company is not whether they make a mistake or not. EVERYBODY makes mistakes. The test is how they deal with the mistake.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dead on Joss. I doubt anyone could have said it any better.

16. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Its been dis-lodged, we're cool. [​IMG]

We just don't see eye to eye on how to relay a message like that, that's not a problem, thats what makes America great.

Lots of Love from Texas!! [​IMG]

Dawg- butthole?!? That still cracks me up everytime!!!! [​IMG]

17. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Naw, I'm sure the suspender guys could find something else to do with themselves. And you know racers would still ride around on wobbly-bobbly bikes.

But the rest is pretty good.

This message brought to you in the spirit of [​IMG] and by the letter "Z"
    [​IMG]

18. dhaz

dhaz Active Member

Joss- Thank you for your well stated reponse, I agree with you 100%.
    Tex- Glad we can "burry the hatchet".

19. CCS990

CCS990 Well-Known Member

IMHO, you're the one who's whining, Tex.
    Like it or not, this is the Information Age, and RT & every other company had better adapt to it, or they'll be replaced. I know from experience that RT doesn't answer e-mails, and the improper spring rates given by their web site has been occurring for more than a year. And even Max has commented that their spring rate spec's are way off.
    A professional response to the e-mail from dhaz would've been: "Thanks for making us aware of the problems with our web site. We'll fix it, and we apologize for any inconvenience. In the mean time, please call our tech line." But instead, RT has been ignoring the problem, thus showing disregard for their online customers.
    I don't like to see a company bashed unfairly, but posting a factual account of a negative experience with a company isn't "bashing". The BBS members can judge the merits for themselves, and in the end the truth usually comes out. [​IMG]

20. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

BBS brings out the truth...

This is the information age....

Its all sooooooooo clear now. My bad

[This message has been edited by Tex (edited 03-06-2002).]