1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR Crash Video/Pics - novice 370 (Wanted)

Discussion in 'General' started by mykb13, Jun 3, 2004.

1. mykb13

mykb13 Member

Anyone get my crash on film at VIR 2 weeks ago? Sunday - race 5 BSS, lap 3, around turn 6 just before the bridge (last left hander). Novice bike #370, yellow/black CBR600RR that caught on fire. There were a lot of people with cameras there and I'm hoping someone got it.

I was knocked out, so I don't remember the crash...last thing I remember was a violent tank slapper and the distance to the guardrail closing quickly. I'm told I tumbled many times before slamming into the guardrail and coming to a stop (2 broken bones in left hand, shattered digit in left middle finger, slightly torn MCL in right knee) .

My bike didn't do as well...I think it hit the top of the guardrail post (I-beam) since there's a hole punched through the frame about the size of my fist, cleanly cut not smashed! I'm told it caught on fire whem it hit the spectator's chain link fence, then flew back down to the track and slid almost to the bridge on fire.

My first post-crash memory is in the ambulance, but apparently I was coherent and walk to the ambulance when I re-gained conscienceness. I had surgery today to put 2 permanent plates and 8 screws in my hand. My surgeon says I should by healed completely in about 2 months!

I have most of the stock parts and spare parts to put my bike back together except for the frame, subframe, engine covers and exhaust...so right now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth putting back together or just parting out and selling my spares.

I'm really looking for any video/pictures/details since I don't remember anything; where I stopped, my bike stopped, how the fire was put out, etc.

If you have any video/pics or know someone who may, let me know and I'll be glad to pay you/them for them.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike:)

2. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

If no one has film of it give me a shout .I'm pretty handy with claymation.:D

3. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Sooooo....mike...ya mean ya don't remember our entire post crash conversation....here's a quick flashback...

G: I need you to stop moving for me buddy
    M: Owwwwwww
    G: Stop moving or i'll knock you out
    (ok so the last line didn't happen :D)
    G: Can you hear me ok pal?
    M: Yeah...owwwwww
    G: What's your name?
    M: Mike
    G: Do you know where you are right now?
    M: VIR
    G: Good, sounds like you're ok for the most part, but stay still
    M: Can you push my visor up?
    G: Uhhhh, mike, you don't have a visor buddy
    Then the ambulance got there...

I sez to the ambulance lady...

G: He's cognisant, but he's got a big cut on his left hand and is bleeding
    AL: That's good...we'll take it from here
    M: I think i'm ok
    G: Awww you'll be fine...all except for your hands broke
    M: My hands broke?
    AL: You kiddin, look at that thing
    G: <throwing up>
    (ok...so that last line didn't happen either :D)

Your left ring finger was pointing almost straight down though with like the middle of you hand kinda caved in...wasn't a pretty site...lucky you had plenty of adrenaline goin on no doubt!

After that, i went back over to the bike to help rain man with the cleanup...

Glad to hear your going to be alright...:)

4. mykb13

mykb13 Member

Hey aaronson,
    I didn't think about that...if nobody has any pics, I can make up my own very dramatic story and have you claymation it as proof :D

Hey Green,
    Thanks again for being there for me :clap:

Do you know who got my helmet and gloves off? It's a good thing someone got my glove off because at the hospital my hand was about (and still is) 3 times as thick as my good hand :)...I guess they could have cut it off if it wouldn't pull off.

I heard I didn't cause anyone else to crash (thank goodness), but I think I must have oiled the track down since both case covers were shattered...maybe the fire burned it all up before it slicked the track down :D

If you're going to be at any of the NC races or the GNF, let me know so I can thank you in person (as a spectator :))[email protected]

Mike

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

You took your glove off...
    The paramedics took your helmet off (a definate no no for us lowly cornaworkers :D)
    And no thanks needed...you said thanks about 5 times when i was talking to you trackside...

There was a big ovation from the crowd too when you got up too...it was weird because i was all the way down on the other side of 7 and my other cornerworker yells my name and points and all i see is smoke on the other side of the bridge...so i start runnin that direction, grab the fire ext., rain man (rain director) drives up on his 4 wheeler as i'm running down the track and we do a baton track style pass of the ext., he puts the cbr bbq out and i came over to check on you...and that's all i have to say about that :D

6. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Dude,
    Gordon and I came thru there when the bike was on fire under red flag and it was pretty wild. I was looking all over for a rider but never could find one... I just saw the bike up in flames and hoped and prayed you were ok. Thank god you are. Gordon seemed a little puzzled as well as me because we couldn't figure out how in the world the bike ended up laying there on fire at that section of track. Now that you have given a description of what happened it makes sense.

Good luck with everything and it sounds like you escaped a serious crash without any major damage so cheers.

7. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

That was a strange & disturbing sight. I'm glad you're okay Mike, and good job cornerworking Jeff. Turn 7 was an action-packed place to be I bet.

8. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

sure was! That was a crazy sunday for sure...you guys going to RRR, Summit, or Road A...i'm trying to make Road A july 4th after i get the financial stuff back in line

9. mykb13

mykb13 Member

Hey Trev & Thottle,
    Glad you guys made it through OK. It's one thing when my mistake took myself out, but I'm glad I didn't take anyone with me:D

10. mykb13

mykb13 Member

Nobody's got any pictures/video yet.

Dan from Shoot To Thrill Photo gave me a tip about VIRs webpage www.virclub.com. There's a picture of my bike on fire under the WERA Cycle Jam link and many other great pictures of some of you other guys.

Mike