Torque Split

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Car guys, tell me about this. I thought on AWD vehicles the power was equally split between the front and rear, or maybe 60/40 and it was fixed. But one of the menu's on the dash has this shit on it. And i notice it fluctuates all the time. When i take off from a red light, it will be close to 50/50, but then it changes and the lower (rear) graph gets bigger as i get faster.

Why is that? What is the purpose? Why is it not equal all the time?

[​IMG]

2. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Single axle more efficient at high speed?

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thats a pasty assed white leg there boss...:Poke:

No idea why they have the torque split display though.:D

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

It's not a symmetric awd system! :D

When's it going back?

5. Haha I know, you can see my veins and shit. Lol.

6. I know and it is aggravating the shit out of me. :D

Going back for what? Is there some recall I'm not aware of?

7. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

It's for economy, handling, and traction purposes. A RWD car handles better than a FWD car, and an AWD car takes off and gets un-stuck better.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

he's saying you'll take it back because it's not 50/50 all the time..
    but the real question is why does it look like you shave your legs???:crackup:

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Handles/performs better. Think about it, if you slam on the gas your rear tires are going to have the most grip due to weight transfer, so more sense to send the power that way. Expand that to include multiple axis and you can figure out why they would do it.

But mostly the people at the Porsche dealership got an anonymous tip from the beeb to make sure there was something that wasn't equal flashing on the dash constantly.

10. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

The system that vehicle uses is a completely variable all wheel drive system, it can and will do whatever is necessary for optimum traction. But most all wheel/four wheel drive systems are fixed ratios

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Did I miss the "reveal" thread showing off the new ride? Details please.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

You gotta think of it like this; the BMW S1000rr , most beautiful bike ever made, it's low beam headlight is your rear wheels and its high beam is your front wheels. Suck it Broome!

13. Ok, that makes sense. I have never heard of that before. I thought they were all fixed.

I did notice that power never fully leaves the front wheels. It always has at least 10-15% going up there no matter what I'm doing.

14. No.

:moon:

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

so, your smarter than the engineers at Porsche?

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Broome, that chick mobile has something that isn't symmetrical? I will buy that lady mobile off you for my wife.:D

How much ya want, since it's used and f'd up?:beer:

17. I probably should sell it. It was less than an hour old and I got pulled over for speeding (82 in a 65). :mad:

He was cool though and said he didn't have the heart to ruin the first day with my new car and just gave me a warning.

The thing is, 82 feels the same as 52. It is going to get me in trouble.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but after all you bring to this board with your quirks, I can only deduce that you are in fact an idiot savant. At the minimum, you're a dumbass with more money than sense. :Poke:
    :D

19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Dude, if that's not bad juju I don't know what is...:confused::D

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That's why I don't drive the wife's car very often.

70 feels like 35...then I wonder why I'm only in 4th gear. I've been good though, kept it under the ton.

Wife can't say that, though. :D

Congrats on the new hoopty. :beer: