Knock on wood!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Hawk518, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have never been to the doctor for anything other than a physical which I generally have paid out of pocket.

Today, I received a letter that the insurance that I had purchased to comply with HCA will no longer be available to me in 2016. I must go shop HealthCare.gov

So much for insurance companies not dropping individuals for pre-existing conditions and not losing your doctor/coverage.

I guess, I need to dig into my past (and my family) and see if I can find a sickness or illness that would I can use to prevent this drop.

I know, I know. I am about to get educated by some on the shopping. :D

Again, I have not been to the doctor since I was a kid to remove a pellet from my chest. I have only had two physical since I left the Army. And, paid by me.

I actually opted out of employer coverage and chose to pay my own insurance. So much for being responsible.

Okay, enough. Let the re-eduction begin.

2. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

You may consider checking with your old provider to see if they do have a plan you can purchase. It may well be that the plan you had did not comply with the ACA guidelines. This happened where I work where there were two insurance options available. It turned out that the non high deductible plan was chosen by too few employees company wide and was then considered to be too far superior to what the average subscriber had chosen.

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I will give them a call on Monday. I purchased especifically to be in compliance with the ACA.

This is what the letter reads:

Every year, insurance companies can make changes to the plans and coverage options they offer. Time Insurance Company won't offer the coverage you currently have in 2015 again in your area in 2016. This means you must enroll in a new plan to have health insurance coverage.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The stories that popped up in my mind about how this came to happen are endless..

:D

5. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

That sounds very similar to what happened at work. If you were happy with the group I would give them a call. If not you can always see whats out there.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The letter means that the policy is being withdrawn.

You aren't being dropped, but rather, the insurance company has decided not to continue offering the policy that you were covered under to anyone.

That means you are in the position of finding a new policy to enroll in.

This happens whether or not you are covered by an employer. I can't count the number of times my coverage has changed because the employer or the insurance company decided not to continue to offer the policy that I was on.

Just a question:
    I'm guessing you are over the age of 25. If you have insurance coverage, why would you not go in for an annual checkup? They are useful in finding things that can potentially be a real problem, while they are still small and easily fixable.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

good luck. It took me ~7 hrs of compiling available plans & benefits to make it an "easy" multiple choice question. I would make a choice... then sleep on it. Then redecide a few days later. THis year I guess correct. Even though I met my max out of pocket early on Im now cramming everything I can in this year for max dollar value. :D

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Like I said, "knock on wood."

I live healthy. No major family health issues.

And probably bad memories from dealing with free healthcare.

I should probably set something up. :)

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have described prior.

10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why did you do this???

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I had switch/started a new job, wait period, new law in effect, etc.

I also took the job on a 30 day agreement. So, I wanted control, ensure compliance.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Just remember that this is not the end game. What we are seeing is the ratcheting up of costs until people start clamoring for the government to "save" us with a single payer system.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I understand. Single payer it is, will be.

What some are failing to process is that the ACA will lead to a two-tier system. It will create a clear distinction between the haves and have nots. This two-tier system is ever present wherever free health care is the law of the land.

I want doctors competing for my money. Single payer may just do that.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

This is exactly what exists under the private health insurance system we now have. I fail to see any difference.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

My experience would suggest significant difference.

So, if no different why promote/endorse the new system?

The old system was not fair but ultimately care was likely provided. At our cost of course.

The only thing that has truly change is the illusion. Oh, and let us not forget the guaranteed profits. At our cost as always.