1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ChemChina to buy Italian tire maker Pirelli in $7.7 billion deal

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Mar 23, 2015.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Here comes the real Chinese made tyres. Dianese, Pirelli, Ducati, Ferrari...all being sold out. Kind of sad.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

More cheap crap.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ducati was bought by the Germans and they are now putting out some of their best stuff in years.

5. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

The Chinese bought Volvo a few years ago. Production continued in Europe and the deal didn't seem to affect quality. This deal in theory may result in bringing the quality of tires made by the buying company up; no sense in paying billions for a quality tire manufacturer if the goal is to make cheap tires.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would have to disagree. They were already turning a corner in like 2008 with the 848/1098. They were one of the only manufacturers that was increasing production during the downturn, and had most of the projects that are currently out were already in the tubes, such as frameless design, etc.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:D

[​IMG]

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You're kinda correct, but mostly wrong.

There were a LOT of changes internally at Ducati that have vastly improved since the Germans.

From a dealer standpoint selling bikes and parts, it's been a 100% improvement.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

From the public's eye...it still looks the same..really expensive :Poke:

10. John29

Dollar's rise against Euro should help that...

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shut your whore mouth on that! We NEED a stronger euro and need it NOW! :D

12. John29

You're an exporter. Most motorcycle consumers are on the import side. We got no control over monetary policy anyway...

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Most of my work is based in euros. I also get paid in euros. I like a strong euro. :D

It's like 6 am out there on the commie coast, you sending the mag out to the printer today? You're on the BBS crazy early. :)

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

China is #2 in economy (GDP) and #1 in spending power. You want a piece of that action you have to manufacture your goods there. And they are in acquisition mode. It makes more sense for them to buy the technology than recreate or reinvent it.

15. Hyperdyne

Wait...

Do you get August off? Take 3 hour lunches and work 1/2 day on Friday? :D

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

People still buy Volvos? :Poke:

I haven't really heard of anything ground breaking coming out of Volvo either. I always remember them having some new way or technology for safety. seems all quiet since the purchase.

On the tire side, it would make sense to buy the name. Instead of Rock Hard Tires, Inc.....a Pirelli Rock Hard Tire seems to be a bit more digestible.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I work for Germans, not the spanish/ french/ italians. :D

18. Hyperdyne

So many Hogan's Hero's references come to mind..

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ferrari is still owned by Fiat. I don't see them getting rid of the brand anytime soon.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A big part of Ducati's increase during the downturn was due to available financing. LOTS of guys went in to dealerships to by the latest ninja-gsx-r6957RR and couldn't get a loan, so the dealers switched to to 848's and 1098's and got them bought. Whoever Ducati had partnered with for credit was a lot more open than the Japanese brands.