1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The oldest living things in the world

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Apr 22, 2014.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I thought it was you and Panthercity and Orvis.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh. I remember when Jim Bob planted those suckers.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

:moon:

Ya know what makes us old timers feel rather smug? Being able to say with real accuracy that we literally have shoes that are older than some of you.:)

I was reading an article a few years ago where this scientist was doing research on trees and had visited an area of Eastern California where a stand of Bristle cone Pine trees are growing. (The location of this stand is very carefully guarded and is on private property) There were several that were larger than the rest and had an estimated age of 5000 years after one was destroyed by lightening and was down on the ground. A couple of smaller trees stood nearby. His research team decided to sacrifice one of the smaller trees for further research.
    Out comes the saws and one is cut down. The scientist sat for a long time crying because, after counting the rings in the tree, it was discovered that it was over 7000 years old.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hehe. Panthercity won't see this until he finds his reading glasses.

7. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Damn THAT SUCKS!

8. ton

ton Arf!

not possible

9. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why?

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Dungeon material.;)

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Exactly. And Neil DeGrasse Tyson would tell you that that's why light from stars more than ~6500 light-years away hasn't had time to reach us yet.

13. Robin172

He would say what?

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That you just fell into a sarchasm. :)

15. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I don't know why but my McAfee Site Advisor does not like that link one bit.

16. Robin172

I was wondering.:)

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Oh damn:tut:

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Well, color me wrong. My numbers were a bit on the optimistic side by a couple of thousand years. (The memory is the second thing to go away.):)

The linked site gives a rundown on the world's oldest trees. We have a Live Oak tree just outside San Saba Texas called the Wedding Oak that's estimated to be 1200 years old. It's frigging impressive to stand under.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...s-10-oldest-living-trees/taking-the-long-view

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Very interesting that something could live that long.

20. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are more than a few of those "oldest living things" in fact dead? Someone care to enlighten me on how that works?