1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommmend 17" DOT tires for CRF150RB?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by bella749, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I have a street tagged/titled CRF150RB with OE dirt wheels (19"/16") and 2.5"/3.5" x 17" SM wheels + QTM brake.

The P.O. installed Avon Distanzias 120/70 up front and 130/80 rear (OD=654mm, W=138mm). These things are HUGE and really suck the fun out of the SM setup.

I need to find more appropriately sized DOT tires for this bike for the 2.5/3.5 wheels. Finding fronts isn't difficult, but there's not much out there for rears that arent too wide or rediculously tall... B'Stone 003RS, for example, 140/70 is OD=628, W=144 (too wide); BT-45 are stupid tall.

I was thinking of running a 120 front tire on the rear, which should keep things sized similar to 125GP tires. Total bike and rider package is under 350lb, with 22HP on tap. What do you think?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Most of the guys going fast at our local mini track use Pirelli Superbike slicks. 110 fronts and 125 rears, which are the actual GP tires. The rear is a real profile rear, not a front repurposed for the rear. There is also a 110 Supercorsa DOT front available

3. bella749

I'm looking for DOT tires for street use. Would definitely spoon on slicks for track use.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Oops. Sorry, I didn't see the street use part.

5. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I am using sava MC50's on my Aprilia hybrid.

6. bella749

Where do you get Sava tires? Are they DOT legal? Main reason I ask is for annual state inspection purposes.

7. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=mc50

treatland.tv has the best prices on Savas that I know of.

I honestly don't know if they have DOT markings on them... Since they have tread though, they look like street tires and the cops never give me issues with them, even though they're imported from europe.

If youre necessitating DOT inspection I could send you some used Michelin MT75's for free from an RS50 that you could throw on just for inspection. I'm not home right now so I can't go look at the tires to tell you if they have DOT stampings but I seem to remember that they did... I"ll look through photos on my build thread and see if i can find anything saved online

8. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Get a 3.5 front and rear rim and just run good front tires front and rear or use what ever they run on ninja 250s. And try for the same size rims as the 250s.

9. bella749

Finding tires to fit the 2.5" front isn't the problem. Finding a legit rear for the 3.5" rear rim is the issue; the ones you can find are usually too tall or too wide.

Going to take a look into the Sava tires... if that doesn't work out, will likely just spoon a 120 front to the rear rim.

10. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

17 inch dots

I am importing the newest Sava Dots in 17 inch. We have the MC 50, the Bogart 25 and the slicks. The DoTs are in Super Soft sizes 100/80-17 front and 130/70-17. The slicks are very sticky and work well on my CRF 150F which runs 2.5 and 3.5s The new tires including the 10 inch tires will be here around the 1st week of Dec.