new york safety track "safe" yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by jimfowler, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

i spoke to a guy who went a few months back and he mentioned zero curbing, significant drop-off from track to ground and not much in the way of run-off (lots of trees, no gravel, etc.).

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Great Circuit

I have run 4 track days at NYST and do love it. Counterclockwise is much safer (and more fun) than clockwise, in my opinion.

Take a look at a few photos of T1-T7, then come out and ride the place!

Attached Files:

4. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

A few more...

Attached Files:

5. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Stragglers

Attached Files:

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not exactly to FIM safety standards.. but dang that is a SWEET looking track ! ! !

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not anywhere close, but then again how many tracks in the US are? Everyone says whatever they used to paved this place has TONS of grips, and that no vids of pics do justice to the elevation changes.

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The reputable guys I talked to about it all stated the runoff is horrendous and a bunch of trees need to be removed to make it anywhere near safe for true ballers. That was about two weeks ago.

9. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

True ballers? You mean true pussies?!?

Nut up or shut up. ;)

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Ha! Listen TT man, not everyone likes to have them trees so close :)

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think Marcel Irnie's still the fastest lap around there at 1:31. You can jump to 52 minutes to see the session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aHJ-30-R5Q

And yeah, as I understand it, it's still not intended to be a "race" track designed to host racing.......yet.

12. mouimet

mouimet Well-Known Member

I was there last week for the Saturday session and am not a "true baller" but have been riding the track for a long time. I left after the first day because I did not think it was safe. I gave u a hotel room (and a hall pass from the wife) and skipped Sunday. There is not a lot of runoff in some real sketchy areas, no curbing, and lots of blind stuff. Call the line wrong going into a blind downhill turn and you are heading toward the woods. One of the turns was like Mosport Turn 2 but worse. People do love it, but I will pass

13. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

I have been there twice now. Curbing is still not in place and I would like to see more runoff. It is fun for a trackday but it is not safe for racing. I hope they keep updating the place b/c it is one hell of a fun track.

Turn 7 will probably be a jump when people figure the track out

[​IMG]

NESBA a group session last week
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ScYGPvCtM

14. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

as one who has employed the run-off areas of racetracks on numerous occasions, i would prefer a little more accommodation in that regard...and fewer trees in place to slow me down should i end up off-roading.

15. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I think I am heading up there August 10 so I will give a report! :)

16. It does look like a fun layout and the elevation changes look kickass.

But i just can't understand, in this day and age, with all the information/experience that is out there, why would anybody build a track with critical safety flaws? All it would take is one call to somebody like Mongo, Ulrich, Bargy or any of the other experience people and be like "before we go into the construction phase, look at this layout and tell me what you think".

I seriously doubt there was a clearing in that exact shape. Which means they obviously had to cut trees down to make the track. Why would you only cut so many trees down, then be like "eh, that should be good enough"? When you figure the millions it costs to build a track, how much more would it have cost to cut down 50-100' of trees in the few critical zones?

IMO, whether racers will go there or not, even if the track was built with the understanding that it will NEVER host a racing event, that still doesnt mean safety should be compromised. Last time i checked, trees and walls don't care if the event is being timed or not, neither do bones.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Scottyrock and lawndart are probably all bonered up about that track.

"Scotty! Man! Look at all them trees! I feel like a baby in a tit factory!"

18. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

yea the trees all around are really sketchy but on my local forums it seems that a lot of people LIKE THE TRACK. some even go as far as saying itll make you a better rider riding this track as opposed to Thunderbolt.

I am going for a one day TD in August, treating it like a street ride and bringing only bike and leathers. will do a full video report on the track and layout for it. hopefully its as fun as people say. they also said if you're really throttle happy the pavement will eat away at tires.

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Don't they have to add stone walls, bumps, and spectators with bad teeth on the outside of the corners for you to even consider it? :D

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

fixed.

I aim for the ground, Scotty aims for the trees.

Edit: Hence Lawn Dart vs. Lumberjack. :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013