1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One racer to another....

Discussion in 'General' started by DavieStone, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

The Shane Turpin interview. I cut and paste the interview here and put a link at the bottom if you want to see some of the pictures.

Many of you know that Shane and I are good friends. I wish that I could have been there to see Shane's debut and see first hand what it was like racing with this caliber of racers. With that...I spend a little time on the phone with Shane and asked a ton of questions which to my astonishment...blew me away as to what he..or for that matter...any racer is up against at this level of racing.

Davie..."Shane what was the experience like?".

Shane..."It was very exciting, I just wanted to do better. I felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight".

Davie..."how so?"

Shane..."We were 25 to 40 kilometers slower down the front straight. With that any ground we had gain in the infield was quickly regain on the straight all the way back going into T5 (the fastest part of the track). There was also the electronics package on this bike that required more knowledge than we had in just two weekends riding the bike".

Davie..."Let me get this right. You had only rode this bike for two weekends and attempted to race against the best in the world?"

Shane..."yes".

Davie..."That is like going to a gun fight with a knife!!"

Shane..."Everyone was very helpful...our team did not have the knowledge of the traction control system and how to use it like the top teams at the World Superbike level. Carlos Checa's team came over and helped us a little and it was really interesting to see our data layed over Carlos's data. When we compared our data to his it showed that from the bottom of the attitudes (down hill left,right,left) to the exit on the front straight both Carlos and myself had the same timing, braking, acceleration and drive. From the exit onto the front to the Attitudes we were 5 seconds slower".

Davie..."When you mentioned traction control and knowledge of it...what did you mean?"

Shane..."The electronics on these bikes is very complex and needs to have someone that races with this stuff week after week behind the wheel along with a data guy in the pits to interpret what it is doing. To give you a idea as to what this stuff can do for you...when I looked at Checa's data he was either at 20% or 100% throttle throughout the whole track. These guys were getting into the turns and about 20 feet before apex, knee on the ground pinning the throttle 100% and the electronics would take over. It was absolutely amazing to be riding with these guys and hear the bikes cutting fuel, popping like mad...but driving out harder than anyone I have seen on a bike do".

Davie..."Speaking of electronics. Is it controlled by GPS or???"

Shane..."you can use GPS or by the meter".

Davie..."By the meter?"

Shane...."GPS has its flaws that could cause you problems like what happen to Blake Young at Daytona. If something happens with the satellite feed it can make the bike think its in T2 and not T5. Then with that...the bike is setup with the data for engine braking and different traction control and in some cases be really dangerous or with Blake...cost him the race".

Davie..."I had no idea that the Nascar...errr...AMA allowed such electronics that only the top teams can afford. Please elaborate with me on the term metered".

Shane..."our bike, Checa's bike and Smrz's bike were all set to zero out at the start/finish line. We would come in and set the engine braking and traction control by the meter. If we went off line, off track or something weird happen...the bike would reset every time I crossed the finish line. In hide sight...I wish I didnt have the auto blipper or any of the stuff on there. It was just to much, to soon and we were not experienced enough to set the stuff up".

Davie..."Speaking of the riders and talent at the WSB level. What impressed you the most?"

Shane..."It was the confidence that every one of these riders had that blew me away. I guess you get that when you ride as much as these guys do and do the things on bikes that only a hand full of riders in the world can do. I would also say that the most impressive display of riding was when I was going thru T3 and T4 and Marco Melandri came around me on the outside at 130 mph, knee on the ground, rear tire smoking and in a two wheel drift!!!!".

Davie..."From everything I am understanding it seems that electronics have taken over all forms of racing. The only thing missing is the ability for guys like myself to plug and play...instead we need to have a data guy sitting in the pits at 100k a year in pay to interpet data and the ability to blindly pin the throttle and hope that it works!!. Ok one last question my friend. How much did it cost to race the World Superbike round at Miller".

Shane..." 10 grand for entry fee, 5 grand in tires and 2 grand in fuel".

Davie..."wow....just WOW!!. Thanks Shane. I am sure that my readers will want to ask a few questions and I will get back to ya. I just want to say that you still are my hero my friend".

End of interview.

http://allstoneallthetime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69986#69986

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

good stuff

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

4. run1racing

run1racing Well-Known Member

Davie,

Which electronics system was he using?

5. DavieStone

I never knew first hand how these guys rode the bike or how much they used them at to what extent...now I know and knowing that DMG allows this kind of technology in the AMA discourages me even more to not be a part of the AMA. Still yet...cool trick stuff!

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Just because you had your head in the sand doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Did you see how they were trying to limit the electronic cost to something like $15k or $20k? What do you think that bought you?

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And give up on the Nascar...err..AMD Pro Racing references. Its old and its tiring.

Either get a real program going and go race with the AMA or enjoy the lots of club racing that is available...but still complaining about it doesn't help.

And the 3..2...1 was about cross posting a thread from your own board. Last I checked this forum isn't here to advertise your forum or anybody else's.

8. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Magneti Marelli SRT. CU rode the bike on Tuesday morning at Miller. Very interesting.

9. run1racing

Thanks John. I figured it was MM but wasn't sure. Sometimes you get people using Motec or Bosch since MM seems to be the most expensive of the brands.

10. run1racing

It would be interesting if there was an article with the same bike using MM vs Motec vs kit ecu with dyno, lap times and rider feel analysis.

11. DavieStone

"A real program" would require one to buy the system which falls into the electronics cap for the AMA (MM system)...but would require that you hire a data guy at 100k a year to make it work. I dont have that kinda of money so I will not be racing the AMA anytime soon.

12. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

A local club guy put his ZX10 in 6th position in the AMA Road America superbike race without the electronics you are complaining about. I'd say that sets the benchmark for a show up in a pick up truck privateer. Once you do that maybe you can start complaining about the electronics holding you back. The electronics are not what's keeping you from racing and doing well in the AMA superbike series.

13. r6racer75

r6racer75 Well-Known Member

Great inside perspective. Thanks for sharing it here.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is it JRP?

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just run in SS, they don't have the fancy electronics and away you go.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This.

And Jason made the TV with an interview too. Caulk one up for some talent and little bit of luck.

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Davie, I read where only Graves Yamaha and Yosh had that systems on their bikes.

I dont see any past results or lap times that would show you anywhere near the level of Hayes, Herrin, Young to actually need or be able to utilize those functions.

I saw that an unknown (to me) rider actually got himself a top ten riding what i would think is a full privateer Kawasaki. Id be willing to bet that he doesnt have all those fancy electronics on his bike.....

Bottom line, stop making excuses for you not being able to make the cut and put in a good performance. Stop blaming DMG, and either ride the shit out of your bike and battle for mid-back of the pack ama results, or do a wera race and hope for top 10. Or you can show off in front of your buddies at trackdays.

Figure your shit out.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

IIRC, the EBR bikes do NOT have the fancy electrics... just damn-good riders.

19. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

I thought caulk was for windows and bathtubs :confused:

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Opps...

Chalk....not caulk.

Its how I pronounce it though...I don't say chalk...I say a slurred chalk/caulk hybrid. I blame Texas.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012