1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BST go boom.

Discussion in 'General' started by JD¹³, Jan 23, 2012.

1. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

Don't run carbon wheels at the track kids...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

that makes me want to cry

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen stock rims do the same thing in a crash.

4. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Details please. I've been running mine since 2006.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'll leave my carbon wheels parked in front of Starbucks. :cool:

6. Chip

Chip Registered

Details please....I have yet to see a set a fail and we have sold/installed/run a ton of them.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Anything will break if you abuse it enough.

[​IMG]

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. Did the wheel break in the crash or did it break and cause a crash?

9. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

That's what I'm wondering. #2 would make for a sh!ty day.

10. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

From what the customer told me over the phone he was going into a corner on his R1, had a throttle issue, then suddenly a weird sensation out of the rear end and down he went. I'll try and get more details.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah over application of throttle can cause a bike to become seperated from it's rider and self destruct.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The bike's rear end or his rear end? Maybe he shouldn't have had that burrito for lunch:tut:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Need a lot more info for sure, especially the history of the wheel with regard to crashes and the like. Was the weird sensation the wheel breaking or the tire spinning or something else entirely?

14. kangaroo

kangaroo Member

I also have experienced a failure 1st hand

45 mph back country roads. I hear a crack and my front starts to deflate. Pull over and look what I find. BST and Brocks have been giving nothing but pushback in accepting my warranty claim. I am currently looking to get it structurally analyzed by a 3rd party.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322465&highlight=bst

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the rim had any wrecks in the past??

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Wrong. The vajajay dont break no matter how much you abuse it. It just goes down once a month for preventive maintenance.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had that rim ever been in a crash of any sort before?

19. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

No previous wrecks on the rim, actually it was a brand new replacement within the last year for another that he had damaged somehow.

I worked in the composites industry for a while and we did a lot of highend work including hydrogen fuel cells and wind turbine blades using the latest infusion techniques, experimental resins, the works. I always wondered how thick the layup was on the spokes of the BST's and after seeing these photos I will absolutely never ride a bike with them mounted. They're like 3-4 layers thick! The amount of inertia and load put on wheels during even an aggressive street ride could compromise the thinnest parts of the wheel. I'm surprised more of them don't fail, and it's no surprise they're banned in competition use with the exception of GP 125's and 250's in the past.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I got a headache and quit looking..... I hate the way that forum is......Signatures a Page big too...