1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know what kind of bike this is?

Discussion in 'General' started by Larry Lawrence, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Larry Lawrence

Larry Lawrence Well-Known Member

This bike caught my eye when scanning old images. It's from Putnam Park in May of 1992. The tank says Harley-Davidson, but the motor is obviously something else. Anyone have any clues?

Attached Files:

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

3. Larry Lawrence

It looks like an air-cooled vertical twin. I could be wrong though.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Yes, it is a Rotax...anywhere from 350 to 676cc in a DT chassis (looks like a Knight) as well. There was a time when a certain number of these motors were homologated by harley so their riders could ride them branded as Harleys.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. BikeniteTommy

BikeniteTommy Banned

No, its a vertical single four-stoke. (one exhaust, and the pushrods/cam drive can only be on the non-visible side).

6. Larry Lawrence

Good deal.Thanks for the help. That's a very clean version of Rotax-based Harley. Now who was the rider? George Roeder, George Tapscott?

7. Larry Lawrence

Probably neither since it's a novice rider. Hmm.

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

without a doubt a rotax.

came in many different variations and for a single, can bemade to make over 70hp.

i have a few sittnig in the garage now:)

its a belt driven, single overhead cam.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

looks to be a nickle plated knight frame...
    jemco exhaust

10. Larry Lawrence

I'm betting that's George Tapscott, even though WERA listed him on a Honda at this race. Does anyone know George?

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'm pretty sure I see two exhaust headers. I can't tell if there's more than one cylinder however, it looks pretty square to be an inline twin. Perhaps two exhaust ports? Never heard of that, but there's plenty I've never heard of.

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Is there a fucking echo in here???? :D

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Why why why

do do do

you you you

ask ask ask

14. BikeniteTommy

BikeniteTommy Banned

I believe a certain number of these motors were homologated by harley so their riders could ride them branded as Harleys if I'm not mistaken.

:D

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I refuse to believe it unless Booster says it is so!! ;)

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That bike looks like a blast to ride. I want one.

17. Larry Lawrence

It was George Tapscott. He won several races at Putnam that day and, even though he was a novice, finished second overall in the Unlimited Twins class. This thing must have been super-light and from the way George is throwing it into the turn it must have handled well too.

I just talked to George's widow. I'm sorry to report that George passed away from cancer back in 2000.

He was from a family of racers. I know he had at least one or two brothers who raced WERA too during the '80s.

18. Larry Lawrence

19. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

It's a four-valve head w/2 separate exhaust ports. This pic shows two different schools of thought on exhaust on the same Rotax 614 single.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I am pretty sure that Danny's dad has one of those engines in his shop. Danny and AJ raced one on the dirt in a Wood chassis several years back.