1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 R6r starting problem...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kaane21, Oct 28, 2011.

1. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

hey everyone, I have a 07 R6, thats been kicking my ass for a couple months now. It started when I did a round of maintenance on the bike (i.e. new plugs, oil change, coolant flush, and chain clean and lube). Afterwards I installed a 05 r6 header, and jardine slip-on, and Bazzaz piggy back. Everything was installed according to instructions provided and a website I found online. When i finished, and started the bike it started and ran fine for a few minutes, but then cut off. Ever since then i would start the bike, and it would sound like it would run but cut right back off at about 1500 rpm. Only way it would stay running is if i held the start button in and cracked on the throttle but as soon as i let go it would cut right back off (epic R6 fail). I've since took the bazzaz off and returned everything but the exhaust back stock. I replaced the stator, and bought an extra ECU, still a no go. So please, any help and insight, would be greatly needed....

2. cbreakin

cbreakin Well-Known Member

Not sure if you've swapped it out yet, but these bikes seem to be pretty sensitive to weak batteries. I know in the past if my 06 would sit for month or more, it would take a few seconds longer than normal to start (cranking nice and fast like the battery was fine) fire up, idle kinda funny for a bit, die, and only restart with the the throttle cracked open, and then, only stay running with said throttle open. I'd hop on, ride for a bit and all would be good. A battery tender has since cured the issue. It seems to me Yamaha built this generation R6 pretty "on edge." It's my opinion that in an effort to reduce parasitic load Yamaha designed the charging system, and oiling system to be less than optimal at idle, but preform well at speed. One more reason to bump the R6's idle up tp ~1800-2000rpm. Hope this helps

3. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

i havent replaced the battery, but i do leave it on a tender

4. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Did you at some point take the battery cables off the starter solenoid? People do and then put them back in the incorrect position. Then the FI system will only power up when the starter is being activated.

You have verified fuel pressure, right?

5. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

i believe they are in the right position (from brake side: positive on the left, ground on the right). And it is getting fuel, the spark plugs smell strong with fuel...

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

At some point you may have fouled the plugs, possibly before your removed your bazzaz, and is why you're getting the same results. Take the plugs out, crank the engine, squirt a little oil in each cylinder hole and install new plugs. The oil is to build compression due to the washed cylinder walls from all the fuel. It will smoke for a bit but see if it helps your situation. If the plugs are fouled you'll never get it to run.

ps- you can crank the engine a little after you squirt the oil to avoid any possibility of a hydro lock, better safe than sorry, and dont look down the plugs wells when you crank it over.

7. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

you're right about the plugs, i just replaced the plugs again today, should i still squirt a lil oil into the cylinders. and about how much is a "little"?

8. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

I know you said that you're smelling fuel on the plugs, but have you pulled the hose off of the manifold and turned the bike on to watch the fuel pump prime? I had a similar issue on my 06 R6, and when I pulled the hose I was getting fuel, but not at enough pressure. I replaced the fuel pump and was good to go. That fuel should be shooting out of the fuel hose with some force while priming . . . hope it helps. . .

9. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

check fuel line! run volt test on battery. fresh gas?

10. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Check your fuses and if thats not it, I would recommend checking your injectors

11. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Don't know what his problem is but I will offer that "pulling the fuel supply line to the injectors and seeing how much fuel squirts out" is a pretty big no-no, UNLESS you have a good supply of marshmellows and weiners already mounted on long sticks and are ready to take advantage of your bike burning down your house..
    How about a fuel pressure gauge?

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Having a fuel psi gauge is ideal, i got one and fabricated up fittings from an extra fuel rail to pop right into the r6 fuel line. Most wont' have easy access to that. A good rubber fuel line into a bucket works to see if the pump is priming at all (should squirt a fair steady stream of fuel into the bucket for the few seconds of the priming cycle), but obviously won't tell you if it is at minimum service spec of 47psi.

13. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Send ur injectors to Melka.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

thank you kind sir.. We have been busy lately! :beer:

15. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

ok latest development in the latest chapter of "WTF is wrong with my bike". today i went and took my battery to get test just to make sure i wasnt a dumbass this whole time, and the battery was good, so in re-installing the battery, and trying to start it, Wen I hold down the start button today, for about an extra 5-7 seconds wen i let go the bike idled running for 5 seconds then cut-off... any one with any ideas or insight???

thnx

16. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

fuel pump relay?

17. kaane21

kaane21 Active Member

if it was a problem of not getting fuel, would my spark plugs, NOT, smell like gas?

18. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Smelling spark plugs is a pretty poor way to try to figure out what's wrong.
    If they are dripping wet with raw fuel or bone dry and "refridgerator white" you can draw some conclusions, but sniffing?
    If the plugs are not wet with fuel, squirt some WD40 down the inlet tract, if it burbles, your fuel system ain't working.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We had an 06 R6R in the shop that did something similar. It ran fine then bam, nothing. We chased it for weeks and weeks to no avail. It turned out that the valves were WAAAAAAAAY too tight (neither we, nor anyone else touched them, they got that way on their own).

20. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Have you gone into the diagnostic mode and checked for codes or checked coil, injector, etc functioning?