1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouthpieces...

Discussion in 'General' started by motojoe_23, Aug 13, 2011.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

How many of you use, or have used them in racing.

They are making ones now that are not obstructive to your breathing. In fact they, make them so that they do quite the opposite they claim... improve breathing and supposedly concentration.

In addition to all of that, they are supposed to reduce concussions.

I ask, because I just bought one from Under Armour that is their "non impact sports" version, and am surprised at how comfy it is. We'll see how it goes next week at tally as far as racing goes I guess.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Non impact??? Serious question, how can binning a bike be classified as "non impact" ?

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

You had to see them. They both do the same job, but one is for repetitive impact I guess you could , and Im reading it as not direct impact to the mouth/jaw area like football, boxing, wresting, MMA etc.

How about ""less impact". It seems to be designed for basketball, soccer, baseball etc. Places where impact is not non existent, but the other bennefits are there too.

Hell if I know. I figured id give it a try though. I hope NOT to have to try its "concussion" protection

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm interested. I'm really bad about sticking my tongue out when I concentrate, and I'm concentrating pretty hard on the bike. I'd really hate to crash and bit my fucking tongue off! What flag do you think they'd throw for a tongue on the course?

6. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I tried one on track, and kept drooling. Hated it.

When I played football I drooled a lot too, but atleast I could take it out between plays and clean myself.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to bust your balls. That makes sense about repetitive, and I'm glad your willing to try it. If it lessens the chance of a head injury even by a small percentage it's worth it.

Seeing people on here and knowing several people personally who got severe head injuries, it is one of the most difficult things to deal with for everyone involved.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I started using one after I got my concussion a while back.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/gel-max-mouthguard.aspx

I'm not sure it would have done anything, because mine was from a side impact, but, I'll take all the help I can get not having one of those again...

On a side note, it has had a positive effect on my breathing. I guess there's been research into proper jaw position and its effects on stress, impacts, and opening your airway. I don't breath well to begin with, especially through my nose, but the way my jaw sits a little more forward with the mouthpiece, its opened the airway a little more. Now, I feel naked without it when I ride.

Of course, besides all that... I know how to get millions of people to wear one - Rossi wears one. :D

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I can't remember who made it, and not sure if it was mentioned in the other thread, but there was a mouth piece out there specifically designed for racing. I seem to remember Marco Melandri being a spokes person? Supposedly it released tension in the shoulders and neck as well as helped in the event of an accident. I'll look for a link.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I've used one for about 2 years, can't go without it now.
    It really helps remind you to relax.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i won't ride without one. I paid $17 for a Shock Doctor one. Tried a few of the cheap "boil n bite" ones but prefer this one MUCH more. It has more material where your molars meet up and you can breath through your mouth a tad when needed, without having to open your mouth by your self.. Much safer this way obviously.
    I cut the little cord that holds it to the helmet, cause i too would drool and cant take a drink from a camel back with it (when woods riding).

Rode with a young guy today in our group (woods riding) that just had 13 stitches between his chin and lower lip. Broke 4 teeth as well when he hit the cross bar of his dirt bike. It pushed the helmet up enough to get his chin.

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/double-stc-mouthguard.aspx

I'm pretty sure this is the one I picked up. I originally picked up the one LawnDart posted, but found it too big and bulky. The one I got is a bit smaller and I can breath better using it.

Funny thing though. I tend to push my lips into the padded portion of my chin bar on the helmet when concentrating instead of clenching my jaw now. Glad no one can see in my hemet as I'm sure it looks silly!

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I just checked out the DrBruxRacing link. Xaus wears theirs. I might have to check one out!:D

16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

You'd think that I would wear one on track considering I spent a decade with one in my mouth as an amateur fighter....but on track? I just never considered it, even after a couple of big get offs.

Now you have me thinking...........

17. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I wear a cheap 'soak in hot water and bite' kind with a rectangular duct for letting air in...

The ram air effect filling your lungs at 170-ish (GPS recorded, I have the video, straight at Miller) when you pop out of the bubble to get wind-assisted braking is something to experience.

I find it helps me breathe. I do get drool all over my chin (braking), but racing ain't supposed to be pretty. If I crash, I don't want to see blue sheets of shimmer over everything out the left side of the truck trying to drive home, you know?

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've played hockey since 1978 and never worn a mouthpiece. I'm sure as hell not going to race with one.

19. I use a Shock Doctor as well. One smaller lighter in the woods, a little bulkier on the race bike. It gives some confidence and I got thru the newness of it quickly. It goes with AGAT-like knee braces on dirt.

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Mouthpiece :crackup:
    You're a lying sack of shit Joe Melendez. Yeah get that mouthpiece as long as it would restrain you from posting complete lie's on gixxer.com about how I harassed "women" even when you knew before hand it was not true, as told to you by the one (1) woman involved. I never harassed anyone.
    To "publicly" on the internet, while knowing the circumstance's and understanding the situation you proceed to spew "you'll be next for harassing women" threatening a ban.
    You fuckn knew I was joking, she even told ya so...(in your own word's after you banned me) but no, big bad motofrodo has to "publicly" after knowing the fact's and with no regard for me or my reputation tell complete and utter bullshit fuckn lies.
    Here I am havin to defend myself to other gixxer member's because since you said it's so, they fuckn believed ya.
    I asked you to "show some class" apologize but you didn't and won't. You're alway's right, you know everything and your gixxer fan boy's love ya for that because your the guy with the big ban hammer....Yer a fuckn douche bag.
    What pisses me off most is you don't know me, know my character and you'd no clue who I was on gixxer (different name here) but hey, I am a guy interested in racing next season and already committed and committing further to donating to save your sorry ass this season in the event of a crash. http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/history/

You have been banned for the following reason:
    wishing I hit a wall

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

You're a sorry excuse for a man Joe Melendez.
    I gave ya my email address to send the an E-card as thank's for when ya go off towards a wall and there's an airfence there to protect ya.

You misconstrued word's to suit you and only you....fuck'n cunt.

L8R

Good thread, good topic..L8R