1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone race a buell

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Anyone set one up for the track?
    just wondering how much of a pain it is to get one in battle form for HWT

2. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Which Buell model are you talking about?

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

id like to find an 1125r but am also curious about the XB9 and XB12

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Kosta on here races an air cooled Buell.

5. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

You would really enjoy a 1125R for HWT. There are an absolute blast to ride on the street or track. I did the same lap times at Tally on my stock 1125CR with the stock street tires vs. 08' Triumph 675 set up on race tires :D

6. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

i was wondering what the difference between the 1125R and CR were aside from the bars and lack of fairing. Did they do anything different to the motor? I can find the CR a lot easier than the R right now....

As far as the air cooled buells, I'd be more interested in the XB9R. I've demoed a few buells at bikeweek and the 12's motor always left me disappointed...

7. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

fzr400tony races a xb its pretty worked though for a buell

8. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Paint Shaker and I are running XB12R's. This is the first year for me after 11 years on a 1st gen SV. So far, my lap times are a second or more slower than my SV times but that may be me just getting older and slower.

It seems pretty sensitive to set up and there does not seem to be a lot of info out there that I can find and I can get pretty lost on my own. Mine is stock motored with an ECU, exhaust and a chain conversion on the stock swing arm (not the replacement trick one). It seems to be able to hang with the normal SS SV's on the straights but SB SV's seem to leave it. Not the cheater bike I expected it to be.

Pat Mooney Sr. runs a 1125 and goes really well on it, winning his classes at Barber and Jennings this year.

Herb28

9. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

We ran the XB in the ama in 09 and had a really tough season figuring out the buell. By the end of the season, we had a competitive package and started running strong lap times. Then they yanked the Moto-Gt series...go figure. I have always told people...when a Buell is set up well and working right, its tough to beat, but when you miss the set up or have an issue...you will be way off. Also you will figure out, there are tracks that the buell will just not work well at and others that it will work amazing around.

10. Buells suck.

...when they blow by me on the straights. :mad:

:D

11. Paint Shaker

The air coolers are picky about set up but handle well once you figure them out, just not a lot of them racing means not a lot of brains to pick about them. Parts (except at the track) are available, but you have to know where to find them. The motor (in stock form) is reliable. The 03-04 models had a fuel pump issues when low on fuel and leaned over (fixable). Some early models had issues with the oil pump gear (again fixable). The single disc front bake system works suprisingly well with race compound pads. The belt drive is reliable but limits gear selection to pretty much stock. They crash well.

2009 was my novice seaon. I ran race springs and heavier oil in the front forks, B-stone 003s DOTs (triangle profile front), Buell race spring in the rear, Buell race pads on the front, Buell race ecm (custom tune) air cleaner and race muffler, and the stock belt. Estimated HP is 90ish. Here are some lap times from LWTSB I was able to turn for reference;

JPG- low 1.25s (about 1.5-2 seconds off the winning expert lap times) lots of track time,

RRR- low 1.21s (about 1-2 seconds off the winning expert lap times), first time there, no track day practice.

R Atl- low 1.47s (about 6 seconds off the winning expert lap times) first time there, 1 track day practice).

Had I been able to race a full season in 2010 I believe I could have shaved about 1- 1.5 seconds off my pace with seat time alone. For a further drop, I would need more seat time, suspension work, chain drive, slicks, advanced instruction and more seat time.

I have ridden the 1125R on the track (raced it in the rain). The handling and braking are simular to, but better than the XB. The 1125R in race trim should pump out about 126 HP. I believe if I were able to have the same season as 2009, except on an 1125R I would have been about 7-10 seconds a faster on my lap times (based on a near stock 1125 and a fellow rider with like racing abilities).

If you go with an XB, let me know. I can help you with suspension settings, finding parts and possibly some ecm tuning.

12. Paint Shaker

I am pretty sure it's just you getting older! :crackup:

13. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Kiss my hiney! At least I show up to get my butt kicked! :moon:

14. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Fullmetal dude, you have to decide what class you want to run it in also. The air cooled ones run LW Solo, LWT SB, F2 and can bump up to HWT. The other org has a bunch of classes for it also, although I don't run with them. The 1125's will be racing HWT, B and A classes, so you have some serious firepower that you will be against. There are some really good deals out there on the air cooled XB's

15. Paint Shaker

I was set to go to barber, but knee surgery (not so much) and other issues will prevent it... :down: Hoping to get some more racing in in 2012.

16. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

I love my 1125R, in HWT it's very competitive. The engines are very reliable, and strong too! A bone stock engine, an EBR exhaust and ECM will give 140+ rwhp. Handling is very predictable, it's an easy bike to ride quickly.
    You don't have to have the chain conversion as the stock gearing is good at the majority of tracks, I ran the belt drive for 1/2 a season. So you could buy a stock bike, get the exhaust system and ECM from EBR and go race. Also check out badweatherbikers.com they have a classified Buell section.
    Pat Mooney.

17. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I hadnt thought about the air cooled bikes being allowed in LWT. Its really the class I thought of getting into to not have to deal with the experts in C&B SB when the time comes. I was originally thinking RC51 (also lets me play with V7HWT still) but honestly I have a ton of thoughts for next year.
    The rule book calls for 800cc air cooled twins but then says Buell Firebolt and lightning. Does this mean both the 1200 and 900 are eligible or just the 900?

18. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

both are eligible for lwt sb

19. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

You could run a stock 1125 and do pretty well. The stock springs in the 2008 are stiff enough for race duty out of the box, 2009 and on they softened them up. The primary handling problems for me were solved by raising the bike, forks near flush and get a race shock that can be lengthened 5mm from stock. EBR sells everything you need so you can build it up gradually. They have been terrific with offering set up tips and advice, they're all about helping the little guy go racing with their stuff. I raced an xb too and my advice there would be to keep the motor stock whether its a 9 or 12 or reliability will come into question. So pick up a 12 since they're eligible for the same classes - you won't miss the extra power though you may miss the extra rpm of the 9.

20. Paint Shaker

You can spin the 12 up to 7200 rpm.